Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    With a microSD In the device and a micro to fullsize adapter under the battery cover, I was able to transfer files with 99% of the phones/PCs I encounter. .
    what exactly did you keep under the Centro battery cover? link please?

i didnt think there was too much room under the cover.
    I did in this post.. I think I have just about every program and favorite URL mapped out to the keyboard for one touch access. Even if it is possible on the pre, to only be able to do it by opening the slider will be a bit annoying. Now if there was a side button I could assign to a shortcut screens with icons for each shortcut, I could be satiated. but alas, there is no side button which I also mentioned I'd miss. Not very intuitive in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by truffles View Post
    i haven't heard anyone comment on absent keyboard shortcuts yet or cmd bar. no one misses it?

it would be a killer feature if in any application, a keyboard shortcut triggered a miniture universal search notification bar. it could be used in a specific program to execute a (drop down menu) command or search within the program. i'm sad to see that the keyboard shortcuts are gone from the drop down menus.

and a different key combination for local device / cloud search. this would make universal search even more accessible because my understanding so far is you must go back into the main launcher to search.

as universal search evolves i'd like the ability to customize commands - for eg.) create appointment/todo

perhaps bring back those handy DAs
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    what exactly did you keep under the Centro battery cover? link please?

i didnt think there was too much room under the cover.
    I just sanded off that square battery thing on the back of the centro cover, and one of my MicroSD to full size adapters would fit under there after some... aggressive.. persuasion I wouldn't recommend it though, without the card in there, the battery would get loose and turn on/off with hard movement, and only 1 of my 3 cards would fit with some muscle. I ended up just getting a new back panel so the battery would stay put, and leaving the adapter in my wallet, in one of those plastic picture holder things.

Like I said earlier, I frequently take and send files from my phone to work PCs. Only about 60% of these PCs have Bluetooth, and maybe 20% of the remainder have internet access. For the last 20%, I would use the memory card for transfer files FROM pc to phone, and IR for phone to PC, but at least 95% of those PCs have SD card slots. That's why the SD card was/is such a big deal to me, not necessarily the memory thing. I only use maybe a gig of data, plus a few apps, so 8 gigs is plenty for me. I did just see a retractable USB to MicroUSB cable on this site for pretty cheap though, so if that can fit in my wallet (might have to take out that Valhalla coin) than I will be good-to-go on the Pre and just hope for a 3rd party video app.

Back on topic, and this is going to sound strange to some of you guys, but I am going to miss the recessed screen. Don't get me wrong, I don't want one on the new one, but I will miss it. The screens didn't get scratched when the phone was dropped, or slid across a table etc. The downside was trying to hit those tiny scroll arrows in the corner The large Pre screen with accelerometer will be very welcome, just have to get someone to hurry up and make some screen/gesture area protectors.
    As I mentioned in the other thred... BAH! Still screwed without internet access. Still have to setup and rely on google. Still have to pay for a desktop solution. Cloud syncing should be an option, not the standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    http://www.precentral.net/outlook-pr...aunch%E2%80%A6

There will be an Outlook/Google/Palm Desktop/Pre syncing solution available (at launch, I believe).

And, from what I understand, it's a two-way solution. Dig.
    In regards to chattermail, wouldn't it be worth it to see what the in house solution is before chattermail is considered king of email?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    As I mentioned in the other thred... BAH! Still screwed without internet access. Still have to setup and rely on google. Still have to pay for a desktop solution. Cloud syncing should be an option, not the standard.

In regards to chattermail, wouldn't it be worth it to see what the in house solution is before chattermail is considered king of email?
    I'm just glad there's a solution. I don't care that Google's a step stop along that road.

I agree that we shouldn't have to pay for it. Ultimately, though, we COULD transfer our stuff from Palm Desktop without having to pay. It just won't be a two-way sync solution.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    yeah, it's just another frustrating thing in the line of abandonment of all things that were Palm....sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Desktop sync. I still don't entirely trust the "cloud". Besides this is critical in case there is no Internet service and I want to work on my desktop then get the PIM stuff synced to the device. Hhopefully someone will come up with an offline sync solution.

Dpad will be missed. It's just so handy.

Front facing keyboard.
    I fear having to keep sliding out the keybd will be a PITA eventually. If there is a virtual keyboard then it would be less of a hassle for the occasional brief text entry.
    Coming from the TT and T3 where the sliders caused digitiser problems, I wonder if in the long run, the moving parts will give trouble.
    yup to all that ...

Palm Desktop data sync is an absolute --

insane that they did not offer that assurance alongside the POS emulator revelation
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Blackberry messenger.

Removable memory.

The ability to use my (gsm) BB almost anywhere in the world for a flat $20 unlimited international data plan. (thanks T-Mobile)
    BBM and BES are the two features i will royally miss...

also i wish that palm nub button was a trackball...thats a good feature of the G1...o well!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    the trackball+touchscreen interface is one of the few things I really like about the G1. It is very fast and very accurate.

Still, I managed fine when I was using an iPhone, and by all reports the screen/OS of the Pre is just as accurate if not moreso for touch.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtwest View Post
    I have over the years created a great GTD system using my Treo palm and Agendus. To make a long story short, my system allows me to press 1 button and start typing. This new entry is defaulted to be saved as new in my inbox catagory for later review and processing where i do or move the item to the appropriate parking spot waiting for me to act upon it. Maybe it will become an appointment, things to do, refrence item, log note or a project.

Sometimes i just part items in unfilled espcaialy if it is a item that i may want to recall for refrence. This system has allowed me to be able to be almost as fast as pen and paper. Using the Agebdus search function i can quickly find what o am looking for, so i no longer do a bunch of catagorizing. This search functio reads down into memos and task, not just the titles.

So i am going to miss the 1 click data entry, and the agendus search function. the new search look promising, and i hope it will be expanded.
    As a developer that is currently awaiting my SDK invite and has a few ideas for my first app...

Don't think you need to worry about the one-click entry

Anyways, on topic:

-I'll miss the video recorder, that is if there doesn't end up being a way to "jailbreak" the phone and let renegade developers build their own.

-I love my five-way, but I think I'll get used to just the touch screen pretty quick - I like to call my iPod touch my training wheels for multi-touch.

-I think what I'll miss most is Hobbyist Software's AWESOME hack apps - I would have thrown my 755p in the trash can about 3 days after I got it if I hadn't discovered them. Hopefully some kind of "jailbreak" will be found to allow third-party developers a little more power, but until then, we'll be stuck with what Palm deems is good and proper...
    Last edited by Libb; 04/05/2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added actual content...
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    yup to all that ...

Palm Desktop data sync is an absolute --

insane that they did not offer that assurance alongside the POS emulator revelation
    Just because you don't understand what is involved in implementing something does not mean that it's insane not to include it.

That being said, _if_ I decide to get a Pre, Pocket Quicken is what I'd miss the most.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtwest View Post
    I have over the years created a great GTD system using my Treo palm and Agendus. To make a long story short, my system allows me to press 1 button and start typing. This new entry is defaulted to be saved as new in my inbox catagory for later review and processing where i do or move the item to the appropriate parking spot waiting for me to act upon it. Maybe it will become an appointment, things to do, refrence item, log note or a project.

Sometimes i just part items in unfilled espcaialy if it is a item that i may want to recall for refrence. This system has allowed me to be able to be almost as fast as pen and paper. Using the Agebdus search function i can quickly find what o am looking for, so i no longer do a bunch of catagorizing. This search functio reads down into memos and task, not just the titles.

So i am going to miss the 1 click data entry, and the agendus search function. the new search look promising, and i hope it will be expanded.

I am excited with the new webos and a little worried about leaving my old system. The pros still imho are greater than my fears so i will buy the Pre. I am faithfull that an even better system will be created.
    I hear you... and was thinking the same. But you need to read Who Moved My Cheese. If we dont get new cheese, we will not survive and will be surpassed by all the other mice with new cheese. think that you can replicate your current process under pre, but better.
    We can smell that new cheese. We crave for that new cheese. Release it already!!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    As I've stated before, I think that Palm has thrown the baby out with the bathwater with the pre. The D-Pad, always-available keyboard, and removable storage were *advantages*. This new device will have the hard keyboard advantage over the iPhone, but it requires sliding open/closed and only works in portrait mode, so that's an advantage and a disadvantage. The smaller screen makes for a smaller height/width device compared to the iPhone (though it's thicker), but the smaller screen also means less accurate selection of items with your thumb. That could have been a non-issue if there was a D-Pad.

The other thing about the old Treo series that I'll miss is the overall sense that it was a Palm OS. There's a lot of history and community there. The pre is running a new OS created by a new group of people. The people behind Palm are not the same people. You won't have hack-style apps. You won't have people installing apps however they choose - instead they'll have to go through the Palm store.

For all intents and purposes, it's an all-new device by an all-new company. They get no extra points from me just because their company is named "Palm" because they're not the Palm I knew.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    You won't have people installing apps however they choose - instead they'll have to go through the Palm store.
    That's a big negatory on that - apps can be sideloaded, they just need to be signed with an official Palm developer key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    That's a big negatory on that - apps can be sideloaded, they just need to be signed with an official Palm developer key.
    Sorry, I know they've said that, but they also made it clear around that time that they were still in the exploratory phase. I'm not convinced that what they said then is how it will necessarily turn out. And even if they do allow it, the cost/hassle (and possibility of rejection?) of having to get the app signed still makes this a far cry from the Palm OS of old.
    Sorry, I know they've said that, but they also made it clear around that time that they were still in the exploratory phase. I'm not convinced that what they said then is how it will necessarily turn out. And even if they do allow it, the cost/hassle (and possibility of rejection?) of having to get the app signed still makes this a far cry from the Palm OS of old.
    I feel similarly sometimes, but there are times when I wonder if we want to have our cake and eat it, too. We (maybe not you; I dunno) complain about Palm products' lack of stability, but we want any and everybody to be able to drop apps that affect stability.

What are you thoughts on the stability issue?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    You know I don't disagree with you there. Having been a Palm owner since its inception, there's a certain fondness, familiarity and community you felt. And it definitely has become non-existent with the introduction of the Pre. I'm hoping webOS does catch on. Developers come out of the wood work. Meaningful programs get written (not webFart). Multiple devices come out that bring back some Palm heritage. And they make a new beginning. Not quite as revolutionary as the first go around, but enough to get a cult like status and keep a solid presence. Time will tell. And someone else mentioned the ability to load apps outside of the app store. I think that will be a bit of a plus.

And interesting comment about the screen size and finger use.
    For all intents and purposes, it's an all-new device by an all-new company. They get no extra points from me just because their company is named "Palm" because they're not the Palm I knew.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I feel similarly sometimes, but there are times when I wonder if we want to have our cake and eat it, too. We (maybe not you; I dunno) complain about Palm products' lack of stability, but we want any and everybody to be able to drop apps that affect stability.

What are you thoughts on the stability issue?
    Well, here are a couple of my thoughts:
    1) I think Palm OS developers have gotten a bad rap on the stability issue, because I think that part of the stability issues are due to the Palm OS being so old, with new features added in, sometimes in a haphazard way, with PalmSource not always adding clean APIs to make use of the features.
    2) I'm skeptical that signing = exhaustive testing by Palm. I tend to think more like signing = an extra cut of the money for Palm.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    1. I'll miss the one handed, I don't have to look at it, predictability of using the 5-way. I'm sure I'll adapt to the Pre's intuitive touch screen controls, but hey, somebody asked, so I'm answerin'!
    2. I think I'll miss the SD card too. My hunch is that about 4-6 months after the Pre is launched, a 16GB version will appear and by then I will have found a way to fill up my 8GB version. So then I'll be on a neverending quest to make space in the sucker, while simultaneously considering the radical notion of upgrading to the newest model.
    3. I'll miss LED notifications. I found those most useful when first looking at the device after not using it for a while. Though I must admit that since owning an HTC Touch Pro (using one of the XDA Developer hacks), I've grown accustomed to looking at the notification icons on the unlock screen. Maybe someone will enhance the Pre's unlock screen to include icons for email, sms messages, voice mails, missed calls, appointments, etc.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast