Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    You think palm will include a cable that's retractable and small enough to fit in a wallet? Maybe even something the size of a thumb drive that can go on a keychain? Gr. Carrying cables again seems like such a huge step backwards
    I would actually leave the cable with the computer. There is always bluetooth and the cloud.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have over the years created a great GTD system using my Treo palm and Agendus. To make a long story short, my system allows me to press 1 button and start typing. This new entry is defaulted to be saved as new in my inbox catagory for later review and processing where i do or move the item to the appropriate parking spot waiting for me to act upon it. Maybe it will become an appointment, things to do, refrence item, log note or a project.

Sometimes i just part items in unfilled espcaialy if it is a item that i may want to recall for refrence. This system has allowed me to be able to be almost as fast as pen and paper. Using the Agebdus search function i can quickly find what o am looking for, so i no longer do a bunch of catagorizing. This search functio reads down into memos and task, not just the titles.

So i am going to miss the 1 click data entry, and the agendus search function. the new search look promising, and i hope it will be expanded.

I am excited with the new webos and a little worried about leaving my old system. The pros still imho are greater than my fears so i will buy the Pre. I am faithfull that an even better system will be created.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    You think palm will include a cable that's retractable and small enough to fit in a wallet? Maybe even something the size of a thumb drive that can go on a keychain? Gr. Carrying cables again seems like such a huge step backwards
    Like someone else said, you could use Bluetooth - particularly for smaller files.

Keep in-mind that Palm has adopted the mini-usb cable standard, so you may be able to pick up a retractable cable without breaking the bank.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I use Bluetooth to send to my phone from my laptop so no deal breaker for me.

I'll miss the 5 way nav but its not a deal breaker for me. Less buttons on the phone though means my friends will learn how to use it quicker and will make them want to use it.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    * recording video

I do this more and more, these days. When someone's giving me directions, I just hold up the phone and record them saying it. No transcription speed or accuracy issues.

* d-pad

It's much more convenient to navigate through menus with a d-pad, than having to reach up to the top of the device to click your choice. I don't anticipate liking that at all.

And, getting around spreadsheets... sounds almost nightmarish without a d-pad.

* stylus

I think it'll be tougher to highlight text for copying, without a stylus. Zooming in will help, but zooming without rearranging text sounds like it'd make highlighting more difficult. Maybe not, though. I'm eager to see it done.
    The LED on my Blackberry is #1. I pray that the center button will eventually be made into a notification light.

Blackberry Messenger. Sounds lame, but it's the best I'm client I've seen yet on a phone.

I will miss my BB keyboard. RIM did get it right when it comes to keyboards.

My Curve's AMAZING battery life. You can't kill a Blackberry when it comes to the battery. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Pre's battery life won't be stellar.

Emmmm... Yeah... That's about it. Easy sacrifices IMO. RIM also got it right with their e mail... But it's an aging technology that everyone's caught up with.
    I'd like to see a 1 or 2in USB cable similar to the micro to mini USB adapter Motorola makes. Something you could throw on a keychain.

Not sure what one touch access we'll have on the Pre. But all of the things I do along with favorite websites are all mapped to a letter on the keyboard. I'll be bummed if I can't do that on the Pre from almost any application.

And of course the d-pad and card slot, side button. I'm also a Sudoku addict so I have a feeling I'll miss that since it's locked on the Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    The LED on my Blackberry is #1. I pray that the center button will eventually be made into a notification light.

Blackberry Messenger. Sounds lame, but it's the best I'm client I've seen yet on a phone.

I will miss my BB keyboard. RIM did get it right when it comes to keyboards.

My Curve's AMAZING battery life. You can't kill a Blackberry when it comes to the battery. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Pre's battery life won't be stellar.

Emmmm... Yeah... That's about it. Easy sacrifices IMO. RIM also got it right with their e mail... But it's an aging technology that everyone's caught up with.
    From what little I've seen, the Blackberry keyboard is the dookey.

Hm. Wow, that's some filter they've got there.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I think it was already confirmed that the center button will also act as a notification light. I'll try to dig up the source.

*edit* found the source

Q: Will the center button light up as it did in CES? A: Yes. Shows different functions.

taken from the palm pre webcast Q&A
    http://news.cnet.com/live-blog-of-pa...CarouselArea.0
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    I think it was already confirmed that the center button will also act as a notification light. I'll try to dig up the source.

*edit* found the source

Q: Will the center button light up as it did in CES? A: Yes. Shows different functions.

taken from the palm pre webcast Q&A
    Live blog of Palm Pre Webcast | Crave - CNET
    If you watch the video, they say it lights up and that's it. Cnet has had horrible Pre reporting, honestly. I personally doubt that it'll light up for notifications because we'd have seen it by now if it did. I'll miss that a little, but it's not that big a deal to me. In order to see the light I'd have to have the Pre out of my pocket. And if I have it out of my pocket, there's pretty much no difference as far as I'm concerned between of pressing the button/screen to turn it on and display the notification area, or looking at the light.
    i haven't heard anyone comment on absent keyboard shortcuts yet or cmd bar. no one misses it?

it would be a killer feature if in any application, a keyboard shortcut triggered a miniture universal search notification bar. it could be used in a specific program to execute a (drop down menu) command or search within the program. i'm sad to see that the keyboard shortcuts are gone from the drop down menus.

and a different key combination for local device / cloud search. this would make universal search even more accessible because my understanding so far is you must go back into the main launcher to search.

as universal search evolves i'd like the ability to customize commands - for eg.) create appointment/todo

perhaps bring back those handy DAs
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If you watch the video, they say it lights up and that's it. Cnet has had horrible Pre reporting, honestly. I personally doubt that it'll light up for notifications because we'd have seen it by now if it did. I'll miss that a little, but it's not that big a deal to me. In order to see the light I'd have to have the Pre out of my pocket. And if I have it out of my pocket, there's pretty much no difference as far as I'm concerned between of pressing the button/screen to turn it on and display the notification area, or looking at the light.
    I feel differently.

If I put my phone down briefly, then miss a call, it might not occur to me to check to see if I missed anything. On my 755p, though, I'd know that I missed a call because of the LED.

Sometimes, I've missed calls while the phone was right in front of me and I had no clue until the LED came on.

I hope the Pre functions similarly.
    Quote Originally Posted by truffles View Post
    i haven't heard anyone comment on absent keyboard shortcuts yet or cmd bar. no one misses it?

it would be a killer feature if in any application, a keyboard shortcut triggered a miniture universal search notification bar. it could be used in a specific program to execute a (drop down menu) command or search within the program. i'm sad to see that the keyboard shortcuts are gone from the drop down menus.

and a different key combination for local device / cloud search. this would make universal search even more accessible because my understanding so far is you must go back into the main launcher to search.

as universal search evolves i'd like the ability to customize commands - for eg.) create appointment/todo

perhaps bring back those handy DAs
    Maybe you haven't seen any sign of them (I hadn't either, for a while) but the keyboard shortcuts still exist. They're just a lil confusing, at the moment. I'll try to find a link for you.
    Engadget

There's the menu and shortcuts pic. We had quite a discussion, trying to figure out what the hell they really meant by things like "ALT+C." Because, from what we know with the Treo line, ALT+C results in one of three alternate characters. One is a cents symbol, one is a copyright symbol, and the other is a C with a goatee (sorry, I dunno what it's called).

The point is, I don't see how ALT+C could be a menu option, so I don't know what that list of shortcuts REALLY means. At least it means that a shortcut exists... somehow.
    Desktop sync. I still don't entirely trust the "cloud". Besides this is critical in case there is no Internet service and I want to work on my desktop then get the PIM stuff synced to the device. Hhopefully someone will come up with an offline sync solution.

Dpad will be missed. It's just so handy.

Front facing keyboard.
    I fear having to keep sliding out the keybd will be a PITA eventually. If there is a virtual keyboard then it would be less of a hassle for the occasional brief text entry.
    Coming from the TT and T3 where the sliders caused digitiser problems, I wonder if in the long run, the moving parts will give trouble.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Desktop sync. I still don't entirely trust the "cloud". Besides this is critical in case there is no Internet service and I want to work on my desktop then get the PIM stuff synced to the device. Hhopefully someone will come up with an offline sync solution.
    http://www.precentral.net/outlook-pr...aunch%E2%80%A6

There will be an Outlook/Google/Palm Desktop/Pre syncing solution available (at launch, I believe).

And, from what I understand, it's a two-way solution. Dig.
    Chatteremail

Disappointed that Marc Blank has left Palm and wondering if the email app will have much of the Chatter functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    http://www.precentral.net/outlook-pr...aunch%E2%80%A6

There will be an Outlook/Google/Palm Desktop/Pre syncing solution available (at launch, I believe).

And, from what I understand, it's a two-way solution. Dig.
    But it still goes thru Google from what I understand.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Nothing. Except maybe the SD card. After using the iPhone and now reading about the delicious Pre (trumps iPhone in my book) I hate my 800w and will be first in line at the store to buy a Pre the day it comes out.

I guess I should say...

I'll miss not getting my calls
    I'll miss not getting voicemail notifications
    I'll miss the email program hanging
    I'll miss missing my text messages
    I'll miss the backlight coming on in sleep mode and killing my battery
    I'll miss the frustrating sync experience
    I'll miss squinting and fumbling with the stylus and then tapping the wrong *&$# option
    I'll miss win mo freezing up all the time
    I'll miss using it at as a doorstop when not in use

It really hasn't been THAT bad. But all of that has happened.
    Last edited by peachness; 04/03/2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    But it still goes thru Google from what I understand.
    I guess it's a question of what you don't trust about "the cloud." This solution might address some concerns, but not others.

I'm mighty pleased to have a Palm Desktop option. I wonder if Palm will keep the old PD downloads available, for this reason.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast