1.    #1  
    I applied for the early access program, and I haven't heard anything yet. I really wasn't expecting to be one of the first and expect the more established developers to get priority, but I'm just curious if anyone in this community has heard anything yet? I know u probably won't be able to tell us anything, but I assume you should at least be able to tell us if you got picked.
    I'm not even sure they're allowed to tell us that or not, who knows.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm not even sure they're allowed to tell us that or not, who knows.
    yea, I was wondering about that too. I figure at least one developer is bound to leak some info about it if they choose a good handful of them. I really wish they would've specified if they were gonna pick like 5 or 500.. For all i know this limited SDK release may not be any different than releasing to Pandora and Fandango and the other few companies that have already developed apps for it.
    Didn't get picked.

Yet.
    Game over!
    You know they got slammed, they will get to us, if we are deamed worthy.
    What are some developers you hope get picked?

Netflix VOD would be exciting. I'd also like them to strike a partnership with some major online photo, online storage (Avvenu?), and online blogging service. Someone like Handshigh (WiFile) to develop a network shares app.

Lastly.. I hope the guys from Core Player / TCPMP can get onboard as well.. it could be like revenge since Apple appears to be giving them a hard time..

And to the developers who didn't get picked yet.. don't get discouraged. We love you and here to support your work!

Wonder if they would at least reveal who is onboard.. could build hype and excitement.
    Ya i applied for my company as a developer and i didnt even get a confirmation email that said APPLICATION RECIEVED...kinda odd
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Quote Originally Posted by truffles View Post
    What are some developers you hope get picked?

Netflix VOD would be exciting. I'd also like them to strike a partnership with some major online photo, online storage (Avvenu?), and online blogging service. Someone like Handshigh (WiFile) to develop a network shares app.

Lastly.. I hope the guys from Core Player / TCPMP can get onboard as well.. it could be like revenge since Apple appears to be giving them a hard time..

And to the developers who didn't get picked yet.. don't get discouraged. We love you and here to support your work!

Wonder if they would at least reveal who is onboard.. could build hype and excitement.
    I really like the idea of online photo storage. Sprint's PictureMail is too slow for all pictures to be uploaded and I think having an option of where you want to send it would be awesome.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    No confirmation or any email here either.
    I'm a pretty established Palm OS developer and I haven't heard anything. They didn't say you would get a confirmation email, just that you would see the info submitted screen. From reading the info on the site, between the lines, it seems to me like the SDK will not be ready for prime-time for a while.

Development tools are pretty complicated these days. They are probably anticipating that it will be pretty buggy and don't want everyone downloading it all at once like the iPhone SDK. The iPhone SDK uses Xcode which Apple has been developing for a long time for the Mac OS so it is pretty advanced and has few bugs.

Coming up with a new SDK is the downside of coming up with a brand new smartphone OS. No legacy development tools. I'm still amazed that the webcast development demo was done on a text editor. And not in a good way. To me that means that they didn't have any other tools to show.
    No response for me either, though I didn't expect to be in the first wave. My apps would be more traditional and not the new web-2.0-integrate-with-everything-else-on-the-phone hotness they probably want. You know, like Fandango tying into GPS and the calendar, since that's what the application seemed to desire.

I'd have no problem with a beta API that would be subject to change and thus require adjustments later on. It's worth it to be able to have something available at launch, but oh well.
    doubt i'll get picked either, but sure hope the general release isn't too far out, working on this twitter app using the javascript in browsers is really frustrating with all the helpful "security" features that prevent doing anything useful with the language. i spend most of my time fighting against the browser induced bugs instead of writing code. the emulator would make life vastly easier
    This is a question from someone who only buys software, so it may be stupid but --

Why limit who gets the SDK?
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    This is a question from someone who only buys software, so it may be stupid but --

Why limit who gets the SDK?
    It's not in it's final state yet, so things might change that would require people to rewrite parts of their code for their apps to continue to work. It's probably not documented as well as it should be, or the tools aren't as robust/easy to use as they should be.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    It's not in it's final state yet, so things might change that would require people to rewrite parts of their code for their apps to continue to work. It's probably not documented as well as it should be, or the tools aren't as robust/easy to use as they should be.
    I feel like they should just open up the beta to everyone with a big fat warning that it's a beta, and that the entire thing could change at any time. Anyone that has enough brains to write an app should have enough brains to understand what beta means. If Palm is so worried about "fairness" when it comes to reporters getting their hands on Pre demos, why wouldn't they extend the same kind of fairness for developers that may not have such a high profile like pandora? It would be nice if I had as much of an opportunity as everyone else out there.
    I think the way I heard it was that Palm wants to be able to provide adequate support to those developers who have early access. They are concerned that if they open it up to too many folks at once, they could be overwhelmed with requests for support, resulting in developers being further dissatisfied with Palm and webOS. Maybe I didn't hear it right.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    i know they didnt send any conf emails out, but they shuda...
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    I already have a Pre app in the works, and I haven't received any reply to my application.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3