Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1.    #1  
    One thing I've noticed from these CTIA videos that I don't like, is that the up gesture appears to be changed.

    In previous demos, you'd swipe up and hold for the wave launcher, and a quick swipe up would bring up the full launcher. To view card view, you'd press the button.

    In the newer videos, a quick swipe up brings up card view, and then you need to swipe up again to bring up the full launcher, making the single button entirely redundant.

    Quick, Palm, change it back before you release the device.

    Edit:

    Old behavior (at around 2:20ish):
    New behavior (around 0:18): http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...-demos-part-2/
    Last edited by jhoff80; 04/02/2009 at 05:46 PM.
  2. #2  
    Interesting observation. Since yesterday I have been playing with my new iPod Touch and comparing it to the Pre. The gesture area of the Pre is seeming more and more innovative, as I tap all around and over the Touch, going from bottom to top, to navigate.

    Now that you mention it, apparently Palm could have one-upped the iPhone by not having ANY buttons on the front of the Pre.
    Last edited by galavanter; 04/02/2009 at 08:29 PM.
  3. #3  
    fortunately the button will be dual purpose. It seems it also as a light on it (probably for notification purposes). It would be that much more awesome if it has 3 purposes: button, directional stick, and light! Can't expect everything though.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Now that you mention it, apparently Palm could have one-upped the iPhone by not having ANY buttons on the front of the Pre.
    Well, what honestly makes more sense than that is the way that they used to have it. I like having that center button which brings you back to the card menu at all times, but I can't see why they'd then choose to duplicate that same functionality with a swipe up. It makes so much more sense to have that swipe up instead bring up the launcher like it used to, besides the fact that one less step to get the application launcher fits the whole 'zen of Palm' fewer steps to do what you want to do thing.
  5. #5  
    +1
  6. #6  
    I think this is more logical. The OS is designed so that switching between cards is the primary function rather than going to the launcher and starting an app.

    Also this implementation means that most of the time when you bring up the launcher and start a new card then the device is already in the card view rather than having to drop back to card view first.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    I think this is more logical. The OS is designed so that switching between cards is the primary function rather than going to the launcher and starting an app.
    If by "this" you mean the "new" way of swiping up once for card view (to enable app switching) and a second time for the app launcher, OK. But the "old" way gave "one action" access to either, and assigning the only hard button to your "primary function" seems right. However starting an app can be very "primary" when you need to use that app. Why make it twice as hard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    Also this implementation means that most of the time when you bring up the launcher and start a new card then the device is already in the card view rather than having to drop back to card view first.
    This I don't follow. Card view or not, when you start a new app you aren't in card view anymore, but in that app, full screen. One doesn't "start a new card", but a new app. No?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    If by "this" you mean the "new" way of swiping up once for card view (to enable app switching) and a second time for the app launcher, OK. But the "old" way gave "one action" access to either, and assigning the only hard button to your "primary function" seems right. However starting an app can be very "primary" when you need to use that app. Why make it twice as hard?
    I see your point. I'm sure Palm have their reasons. I am just glad that we actually have multi-tasking that is so usable that we are arguing about the best way to use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    This I don't follow. Card view or not, when you start a new app you aren't in card view anymore, but in that app, full screen. One doesn't "start a new card", but a new app. No?
    See @ 2:35 the user is in the Contacts app. When the photo app is launched the Pre drops back to card view, moves the card to the left and creates a new card then zooms in on the new card.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well, what honestly makes more sense than that is the way that they used to have it. I like having that center button which brings you back to the card menu at all times, but I can't see why they'd then choose to duplicate that same functionality with a swipe up. It makes so much more sense to have that swipe up instead bring up the launcher like it used to, besides the fact that one less step to get the application launcher fits the whole 'zen of Palm' fewer steps to do what you want to do thing.
    I agree with you. I was actually planning on removing that launcher icon from the bottom when I got my Pre. Since I would get very comfortable swiping up from the bottom to get to the launcher. I like the fact that the lights now interact more with your gestures, but I hope they're also used for notification of missed call, voicemail, messages, emails, etc...

    Palm, if your reading this please make sure the first swipe up within a program brings up the launcher and not the card view or atleast make it a preference option. Thanks.
  10. #10  
    I'm hoping that this is a setting that you can adjust for your own preference.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    See @ 2:35 the user is in the Contacts app. When the photo app is launched the Pre drops back to card view, moves the card to the left and creates a new card then zooms in on the new card.
    Pure Palm Pre Posturing.
  12. #12  
    Have we seen what pushing the button does now? I wonder if pushing the button might now bring up the launcher.

    Also, with Palm's history of customization, I wonder if both the swipe up and the button push can be assigned by the user. That would be cool.
  13. #13  
    This bugs me.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  14. #14  
    I don't like the new way either. The button is good because it's easily discoverable. Anyone who doesn't know what they're doing with a Pre would instinctively touch it, especially people who are used to the iPhone. That shrinks the card which gives you the bottom dock for the most common apps, and the rightmost button on the bottom dock brings up the launcher with the full list. ***** proof.

    The up swipe, however, is an advanced feature like the wave bar. It's not discoverable, you just have to know it works that way, so I don't understand the point of dumbing it down. This makes the whole thing pretty superfluous, so why have it at all then? The up swipe to shrink the card doesn't even make much sense as a gesture.

    Bring the old way back.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I don't like the new way either. The button is good because it's easily discoverable. Anyone who doesn't know what they're doing with a Pre would instinctively touch it, especially people who are used to the iPhone. That shrinks the card which gives you the bottom dock for the most common apps, and the rightmost button on the bottom dock brings up the launcher with the full list. ***** proof.

    The up swipe, however, is an advanced feature like the wave bar. It's not discoverable, you just have to know it works that way, so I don't understand the point of dumbing it down. This makes the whole thing pretty superfluous, so why have it at all then? The up swipe to shrink the card doesn't even make much sense as a gesture.

    Bring the old way back.
    I'm not happy over the loss of single-touch access to the launcher, either.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  16. #16  
    All of this is just crazyness!! How can any of you say things like "I'm so mad that this happens when you do this or that" Don't you all know there is usually more than one way to skin a cat? What about this, if you hold down the button then at the same time swipe up, will it wipe my ****?

    I'm just ready for some official news. I bet folks at Palm and Sprint spend 5 hours a day laughing at postings like this. No wonder the darn phone isn't ready yet.
  17. #17  
    I actually like this new way because if this phone is focused on getting the cards up to switch applications then hitting on that button over and over and over again might cause it to loosen up a bit and wiggle. I know this is happening with my Touch since I have to press that button over and over just to switch apps. With this up gestures, you lower the risk of damaging/loosening that button. It should definitely be added as an option though in preferences panel.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    All of this is just crazyness!! How can any of you say things like "I'm so mad that this happens when you do this or that" Don't you all know there is usually more than one way to skin a cat? What about this, if you hold down the button then at the same time swipe up, will it wipe my ****?

    I'm just ready for some official news. I bet folks at Palm and Sprint spend 5 hours a day laughing at postings like this. No wonder the darn phone isn't ready yet.
    Is it any different from your posting "give us a date" in every single post you've made?

    Seriously though, I wouldn't mind the redundancy if there was a way to quickly bring up the regular launcher with one button or gesture, but there isn't (and I don't count the wave launcher as that). As mentioned above, one-touch access to the launcher is much more important than having two separate ways to see card view.

    It's like on my computer... sure, there's multiple ways to start a program, and multiple ways to change a program, but there's a Windows key to immediately open the start menu, and the alt-tab shortcut to immediately be able to switch applications. You wouldn't expect both the Windows key and the alt-tab shortcut to switch applications, leaving the only way to start a program to be to use the mouse, just like I don't expect two different actions on the Pre to have the same result.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    All of this is just crazyness!! How can any of you say things like "I'm so mad that this happens when you do this or that" Don't you all know there is usually more than one way to skin a cat? What about this, if you hold down the button then at the same time swipe up, will it wipe my ****?

    I'm just ready for some official news. I bet folks at Palm and Sprint spend 5 hours a day laughing at postings like this. No wonder the darn phone isn't ready yet.
    Yeah! What's wrong with these dummies, wanting to get the most out of this highly anticipated phone?!

    Wait a minute. What?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Yeah! What's wrong with these dummies, wanting to get the most out of this highly anticipated phone?!

    Wait a minute. What?
    I'm really not bashing anyone or any post on this site, i'm just tired. {deleted portions of my message so that I don't get bashed: Why oh why can't they give us a release date?}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions