Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    What about this, if you hold down the button then at the same time swipe up, will it wipe my ****?
    When your avatar photo was taken were you by chance concealing a AA battery in a body cavity?
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    When your avatar photo was taken were you by chance concealing a AA battery in a body cavity?
    feeling like I'm back in grammer school....but, at least I have a photo of myself, how 'bout you?
    Palm does seem to put a lot of thought into the user practicability in UI design and I would like to think that any changes in gestures is to accommodate for a improved overall user experience. And the sudden change w/in a couple months just shows you that Palm is still re-thinking their UI, future functionality, and Web OS devices.

I am guessing they want all card and launch interfaces to be controlled by uniformed touch gestures originating from w/in the touch gesture area. You have the quick wave launcher.. which supposedly will be the fastest method to launching your applications; however if you decide to leave the 5th icon for the full launcher, then you would just have to touch and swipe up-right to activate the full launcher. This would still be a one touch gesture to access the full launcher. However in doing so you sacrifice 1/5th of the wave launcher.

So then what does this leave the center button for? Does it just sit there all shiny and say hey maybe I can light up when you miss a call or maybe I don't. Too bad the guys that created me didn't make me into a 5-way functional joystick with funky multi-coloured LED backlights.

I am thinking the center button will be solely dedicated to and only to Universal Search -- enabling you to search no matter where you are.

I was just re-reading Matt's facebook discussion from few months ago.. and from my interpretation, isn't that what it does ?

Matias also showed that pressing the center button, while on an active application, allows you to start Universal Search by just beginning to type on the keyboard.
    As Universal Search evolves to include more capability: searching indexed local databases and files, searching through web resources & services, and commands enabling simple functions like PIM, calculation, translation, dictionary/thesaurus, etc.. I can see it becoming tremendously powerful which will be one of the major strengths at the heart of Web OS devices.

And I'd definitely want a physical button for this that is easily accessible and not be confused with other functionality... and perhaps this may be the reason why it does not serve as a trackball, d-pad, or duplicate for card view.

We do however welcome it to notify us for alerts. And a couple of funky multi-coloured LED lit behind it wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by truffles; 04/07/2009 at 09:01 PM.
  4.    #24  
    Nope, because you apparently start universal search by typing in the card view, so pressing the center button just zooms out to the card view where you can start typing if you like.

And sure, the card view is the fastest way to launch five applications, but there's a lot more that you'll probably want to launch without extra button presses.
    Okay I admit to jhoff's correction. I also prefer the old touch gesture system.

I do hope there will be an option for changing back to the old gestures then or better yet customization of our own. But even if they don't.. we still have access to the full launcher with a single touch gesture if you leave the full launcher icon on the wave.
    From Palm on their Blog Comments:
    "Esoteric -- I'll have more for you along the lines of "why did / didn't Palm do this" when the product is released to the public, which will be soon. I will say that an incredible amount of thought and preperation goes into every little feature and that Palm tests out specific features to see what you guys, our customers, prefer."
    -- Posted by: Alex H. at Edelman for Palm | April 10, 2009 at 09:09 AM

This was in reply to:
    "@ Alex H
    Several Pre enthusiasts have noticed that the in the CTIA demos, a 'swipe up' from within an app. now takes you back to the 'card view' ( at CTIA video @ 17s: ) where the 'swipe' up from within an app would take you straight to the launcher, then close the launcher, and then open it, and so on.

Why has it been changed?! I believe if you took a survey of potential Pre users, you would find that more than 90% would prefer the orginal 'swipe up' gesture function."
    -- Posted by: Ecoteric | April 09, 2009 at 03:54 PM
    I seem to like the way it set up the second time around. The quick lauch is configurable, so I am assumming you can remove any of the 5 links, so you can take away the quick launch for the cards or the main screen. The way it is set up now ensures there is a short cut to those two places.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    You wont be able to change the quick launch icon that opens the launcher, but the other 4 links are configurable. I guess because it doesn't make sense to drag the launcher icon from the quick launch into the actual launcher.

The main reason the up gesture changed is to allow for flexibility for future webos products.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Great observation.
    I guess the second method is better.
    It shows that PALM is working smart ( and HARD too given the situation).
    I still prefer the older way. If I can remove the launcher icon from the quick wave launcher I can then have 4 customizable icons. We pretty much know the phone icon won't be removable (for easy access). If I ever needed the launcher; a single swipe up would give it to me at all times.

If they are trying to have a uniform UI across WebOS for future prodructs, I would hope that at least they'd leave a option for the single swipe up gesture to get to launcher on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    The guy in the video you saw actually had it wrong. The phone icon will be removable but the launcher icon wont be. I saw this in another video where a guy demoed how to move icons to and from quicklaunch.

The problem with allowing a single swipe up gesture to get to launcher is, for example, what if a future WebOs product doesn't want to have any buttons where the gesture area is? There would be no way to get to card view
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    The guy in the video you saw actually had it wrong. The phone icon will be removable but the launcher icon wont be. I saw this in another video where a guy demoed how to move icons to and from quicklaunch.

The problem with allowing a single swipe up gesture to get to launcher is, for example, what if a future WebOs product doesn't want to have any buttons where the gesture area is? There would be no way to get to card view
    Link? Not doubting you, I just would like to see the video too. Don't think I ever saw that one.
    So now that we've had our Pre phones for a couple of days, I was wondering what peoples thoughts are now with the up gesture working this way?
    I find I actually prefer using the up gesture to navigate to cards over pressing the button (cramps my thumb a bit to reach down to the button when in the palm of my hand). I've only ever used the button just in playing around with the phone and testing functionality. They could have completely done away with the button and made the screen bigger, unless I'm missing some other functionality that requires a button press.
    I give the current gesture process
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I'm not the first in saying that "user option" is the solution. Oh well, we want things to be simple and complicated at the same time. This is such a beautiful world.
  15.    #35  
    Because the button does the same thing as the gesture, yeah, I find myself having used the button twice out of the hundreds of times I've needed card view.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    So now that we've had our Pre phones for a couple of days, I was wondering what peoples thoughts are now with the up gesture working this way?
    I find I actually prefer using the up gesture to navigate to cards over pressing the button (cramps my thumb a bit to reach down to the button when in the palm of my hand). I've only ever used the button just in playing around with the phone and testing functionality. They could have completely done away with the button and made the screen bigger, unless I'm missing some other functionality that requires a button press.
    I give the current gesture process
    I agree. I don't like pushing the button and am glad it is the way it is, although they should make it so you can choose because i'm sure not EVERYBODY thinks so.

Actually I think it would be awesome if you could assign an app of you choice to the button. That would be pretty handy.
    Last edited by LurkMoar; 06/09/2009 at 12:25 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12