1.    #1  
    I got an iPod Touch yesterday, mainly to read my Kindle books at work (nights and often outdoors).

I came across an app in the App Store, Instapaper, and the paid ($9.99) version includes "tilt scrolling" for the iPhone and Touch. Not sure how useful the actual app would be for me, but this (new to me) method of scrolling sure is cool.

I'd love to see it on the Pre.

It is possible since the Pre has accelerometers. That would be pretty cool.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    It is possible since the Pre has accelerometers. That would be pretty cool.
    This app would also be easier to integrate on the Pre than the iphone because of multi-threading.
    This is definitely a possibility.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    That is sweet. I am guessing you can have it start at any angle and then it is relative from there?
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    That is sweet. I am guessing you can have it start at any angle and then it is relative from there?
    I would really hope so. I've had a little experience with apps on the iphone that make use of the accelerometer (ie Games) however and it is NOT relative. There's this one marble game where you move this marble around by tilting the phone... if you start the app and it's tilted up facing you the marble will immediately drop to the bottom on the screen.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    I believe that is the case. I was reading a review that began by complaining of having to turn it on each time, but then the reviewer realized that each time he turned it on, it adjusted for the current reading angle he was in, like lounging on the sofa instead of sitting upright in a chair.
    Nice feature.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    that could be a pain. It sets a reference point, but if you shift from that you'd have to reset the reference point. And how sensitive would it be to slight changes in your reading angle? Seems like it would be a hard thing to perfect but a cool idea nonetheless.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  9.    #9  
    Now that I think about it I would prefer that the iPhone and Touch incorporate a "tilt page down". I'm now wondering if a constantly scrolling page would be enjoyable to read.

As someone who reads a lot of rss feeds on my phone, a page down command is where it's at. I was really disappointed to find that there is no "page down" gesture for the iPhone or Touch. The constant rubbing/scrolling the Touch with my thumb is a pain. Thankfully the Kindle app allows finger swipes to immediately turn the page.

The newsreader I currently use on my BB allows me to set the trackball for page down. I can read entire articles without repositioning my thumb or obscuring the screen.

The Pre will be good for this as it has a page down command in the gesture area below the screen.
  10.    #10  
    Well I can't stay out of the App store it seems. I now have Labyrinth, Bubble Wrap, Manic Marble,and a Virtual Zippo lighter on my Touch. All for free. The App Store is incredible.

I also purchased Instapaper. I just had to try out the tilt scrolling and it is well worth it. Works just as you might hope, smooth and accurate. Both portrait and landscape mode, and it has a tiny progress bar on the right side in both.

The developer, Marco Arment, claims his is the first app to use it, and like he says, it won't be the last.
    Last edited by galavanter; 04/03/2009 at 10:42 AM.
    Nice suggestion.. it would be a welcoming addition if the entire web OS supported tilt scrolling with an option to turn on/off via a keyboard shortcut. I found continuous touch scrolling on the iPhone quite fatiguing.. but again the iPhone is longer and doesn't have the ergonomics designed for single handed use.

I still prefer a tactile wheel/joystick for scrolling.

Another possible implementation I wouldn't mind seeing is hepatic feedback found on on some Samsung devices. It's like forced feedback for touchscreen devices. For example, if you scroll to the end of the list.. the device will vibrate to notify you.
    Quote Originally Posted by truffles View Post
    Another possible implementation I wouldn't mind seeing is hepatic feedback found on on some Samsung devices.
    You want it to give feedback to your liver? I guess maybe that'd be useful if you drink a lot.

I think you mean haptic.
    Rotfl
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    The developer, Marco Arment, claims his is the first app to use it, and like he says, it won't be the last.
    Maybe his is the first app on the iPhone to use tilt scrolling, but it certainly is not the first in the world.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Maybe his is the first app on the iPhone to use tilt scrolling, but it certainly is not the first in the world.
    I don't think he said it was and I didn't mean to suggest he did.

But since you are so certain why not share?
    I hate to keep bringing up the Instinct, but the Instinct has a form of tilt scrolling--only it uses the camera instead of an accelerometer. It uses the optical flow of the camera image to determine how the phone has been tilted. This means it doesn't work well when the camera is staring at a low contrast scene or when it is dark. It ends up not being very practical on the Instinct, but it's cool technology even so.