Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Folks,
    Did you guys notice the lag while bringing PANDORA and SPRINT TV.
    This thingy is no faster than my 800w (which is probably the snappiest phone on SPRINT currently).

I know , I know , you all will jump on me saying its still "Pre RELEASE".

I don't think this thing is ready or has got some serious bloatware in the guts of WebOS.

Me thinks the invoking of the application is not crisp. Its was almost WinMo like , slo000000w
    I believe anything media related over the net will have some lag. There is gonna be lag in pretty much every device just depending on the app that is being open. Even on my iPod touch there is lag on opening apps, granted we're just staring at our wallpaper while on the Pre but with the Touch most apps have a loading screen.
    So the two most streaming-intensive beta apps are the slowest to launch thus far?

Why is this a surprise? What I am surprised about - and pleasantly so - was seeing Pandora run in the background while the Fandango app came flying up quickly afterward, and the OS didn't seem to lag at all.
    I also noticed that the battery had a nearly full charge in the demo with Dieter, as opposed to the CES demos where they all seemed to be running low. Perhaps the app speed and battery life are related? If so, I'll wait a second or two to load an app in exchange for the ability to run it longer.
    Sprint TV on my Instinct takes around two minutes to open. If I want to watch anythin it takes a minute or two to fight my way through the laggy menus. If I manage not to give up after that, anything I actually watch is extremely pixelated, laggy, or a green screen. It glitches and laga often. The Sprint TV i saw in that video was faster than i ever dreamed it could be.

All programs, regardless of which device they are running on (computer, iphone, pre, etc) will take a small amount of time to open.
    geez. what a negative stretch. if at the beginning you noticed a full charge and saw a bar or two at the end, that's one thing. But to equate a low battery to drain issues just because their battery was full at a different demo makes zero sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I also noticed that the battery had a nearly full charge in the demo with Dieter, as opposed to the CES demos where they all seemed to be running low. Perhaps the app speed and battery life are related? If so, I'll wait a second or two to load an app in exchange for the ability to run it longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    geez. what a negative stretch. if at the beginning you noticed a full charge and saw a bar or two at the end, that's one thing. But to equate a low battery to drain issues just because their battery was full at a different demo makes zero sense.
    I concur, thats like saying your laptop gets slower as it runs down the battery. power is power, as long as you have some left, it will run the same regardless.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pflaumen View Post
    Sprint TV on my Instinct takes around two minutes to open. If I want to watch anythin it takes a minute or two to fight my way through the laggy menus. If I manage not to give up after that, anything I actually watch is extremely pixelated, laggy, or a green screen. It glitches and laga often. The Sprint TV i saw in that video was faster than i ever dreamed it could be.

All programs, regardless of which device they are running on (computer, iphone, pre, etc) will take a small amount of time to open.
    Agree, but Instinct had issues. I am not sure its the SPRINT network or the app.
    Our expectations are so low , that for the most of us its acceptable .
    I say make it faster and challenge the other phones
    I don't get how this isn't on par with other phones. The iPhone has a live TV app? Ok. As soon as Pandora came up, the stream was there. And it's in a beta state.

Meanwhile, the NASCAR app is in great shape, as is Flightview, Fandango and Google Maps. That's a damn good starting point.
    DEALBREAKER

ha

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    There was a little bit of lag, but I think its not as big as you want.

One, yes. It is beta software on a pre-release phone. That's likely part of it.

Two, One thing I learned while using an iPod Touch is that visual effects matter a lot. The Touch and iPhone seem faster than they are based on the animation for opening applications. Applications can still take a few seconds to load up, but the animation covers it up a bit making it seem like its coming up faster than it is.

And I agree, the SprintTV there loaded a hell of a lot faster than it does on my Touch Diamond.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I don't think jbg7474 is equating a low battery to drain issues. maybe the phone dials back the processor speed on lower charge to save battery and thats why the demo was slow.
    I honestly would not make the excuse that this stuff is pre release, because I don't think most of it is (barring finding any major bugs). It all looked release-worth to me.

That being said I thought the lag of launching apps was acceptable. I think some people are expecting too much. And I think those that think the Pre is too laggy launching apps would do well to point us all at a phone that launches similar apps faster.
    Being a Touch Pro user, I disabled the TouchFlo stuff and gained a bit of speed. Additionally, regardless of the OS, it does take time for an application to get going, especially when opening related files. Palm had the same issues when it came to a large contacts database. WM has the same issue, but once it gets loaded, the drag is really not noticable. Also, Internet access is not known as being the fastest thing going.
    There is signifiantly less lag in opening apps in this video from Phone Dog (sorry, it is the mobile YouTube site I'm linking to) although there is still lag when the media is being streamed, but I think that is to be expected:

I'm picking up what you're putting down.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    I don't think jbg7474 is equating a low battery to drain issues. maybe the phone dials back the processor speed on lower charge to save battery and thats why the demo was slow.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Sprint TV barely works at all on my Curve. The Sprint TV demo was beautiful in my opinion.
    ^ Ever since they took the FOX News Channel away, I don't watch Sprint TV.

Sucks they had to take away the only channel I watched on there...
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    ^ Ever since they took the FOX News Channel away, I don't watch Sprint TV.

Sucks they had to take away the only channel I watched on there...
    I will refrain from making any politically-oriented comments about FNC, but I would figure of all of the television programming you could receive on a Web-connected mobile device, that ANY 24-hour news would be the least essential given that you can read their websites in the WebKit-based browser much faster than they can get stuff on the air.

Or did you just want to stare at leggy blondes talking half the day?
    I saw the innauguration on CNN - live - on Sprint TV.

I, too, shall refain from making political comments regarding the above.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast