Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Dude, please don't bash WinMo if you haven't actually used it. I've been using WinMo forever and it is pretty friggin' fast, especially with all the trillion different tweaks you can apply to it via third-party apps and registry edits.
    Sure, I use too, but its a different beast on each hardware.
    Its fast on 800W but slow as a turtle on the original HTC Touch.

I agree , I am happy with the speed of my 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I hope your predictions be wrong. I will be disappointed if such thing happens. I do not want another Instinct episode.
    The difference is, what you see is what you get. You have seen more than enough videos of the Pre in action to know what to expect. Don't expect anything better or faster at launch, as it very likely won't be.

If what you are seeing right now isn't impressing you, then if I were you I would move on to look for some other phone at this point.

If, by some miracle, the Pre comes out and is suddenly much faster and better than what they are showing now, you can be surprised and come back.

I am willing to bet $100 that what they are showing now is the final phone, as submitted to Sprint, and is just in final phases of testing and waiting for manufacturing.

Go to 1:30
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Equals hXc View Post

Go to 1:30
    Ha ha!! I *love* that video.

I am in the business of improving user experience, however, so it kind of is my job and bias to look for ways to make things that little bit better...

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ^ I find your disappointed-ness disappointing.

Programs take time to launch. Universal fact. Ask someone who has an iPhone how long it takes their SMS App to launch sometimes!

Lag would be if, say once inside the Pandora app the frames would break and it would take 3 seconds to go to the next song or your notification appears and app window resizing to be choppy. Pre has shown to be nothing but smooth.

But let me disappoint you a bit further: the final version will not be noticeably faster. May be WebOS 1.5 in Q4 '09.
    Last edited by haydur; 04/03/2009 at 06:49 PM.
    ...But let me disappoint you a bit further: the final version will not be noticeably faster. May be WebOS 1.5 in Q4 '09.
    I appreciate your consideration. Despite the naivete you seem to have ascribed to me, I don't actually expect it to be noticeably faster on release. The CTIA demo-er did say agree that this was "close to a final build", after all. Plus, it's been 3 months since their CES demos, and things haven't sped up noticeably.

If they do manage to speed things up post-release, as MS sometimes does, maybe they'll manage to get it to their videos' speeds...but I'm not holdin' my breath for that one either.

As for the iPhone comparison...I'm sure there are a bunch of confounding factors, but isn't this a faster processor, being, quoting from Rubinstein in the CES presentation, "TI's latest OMAP processor"...that has "laptop-like performance" (http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.palm.com/CES_ch3.mov )?

What do you s'pose that's supposed to suggest?
    (^ rhetorical question)
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 04/03/2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Removing redundancy...
    Dude, please don't bash WinMo if you haven't actually used it. I've been using WinMo forever and it is pretty friggin' fast, especially with all the trillion different tweaks you can apply to it via third-party apps and registry edits.
    Wow I agree with Haydur!

Again the Original poster noted the expectations caused by the advertisement. Palm already has a shady history with advertising. And it is an entirely fair point to note the very big discrepancies between the speed on the Palm advert and reality at this point.

Throwing back the issue of "expectations" on the viewers, potential consumers, as several have done on this thread, is not right given the expectations come from palm produced material
    Quote Originally Posted by predatorywasp86 View Post
    dealbreaker

I have come to hate that word

no phone is perfect

i used to use an iphone and it would take at least 5 seconds to open the sms app

gamechanger :! Lol.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456