Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21  
    Alright, let's be honest here: None of us really NEED a Pre (yes, it was just as hard to say that as it was to write it). None of us NEED 85% of the stuff we have. But I for one want a Pre, and I imagine I will want some programs too. And it is not wrong to indulge some of my wants if I am able to do so without sacrificing my needs. Why so many stores and programs? because we all want different things. I have a friend who has a 755p just like me, and we have quite different programs on our phones to make them act in quite different ways. We will look at the same list of 1000 programs, and buy 5 completely separate ones. its all about customization.
    The Pre is marketed toward the "fat middle" of Americans, and this is a rather diverse group. so in order for mass appeal, it has to have things for everyone. again, if you don't need or want it, don't buy it. I'm not going to buy epocrates when it comes out because I don't need or want it. it doesn't offend me that it is being sold, I just go to the next page. having all those options isn't so you will buy everything, its so everyone can find something to buy: like a super walmart of phones.
    Also, remember that there are still some of us whose primary internet access is through the phone, so I really like having a stand alone device. And one note on social engineering: companies can do that, but it is an expensive and lengthy process, and Palm has neither time nor money for it. this is a simple reaction to market conditions. There IS a market for apps on phones, so Palm is providing a way to exploit it. Blaming them for the market is like blaming oil drillers for the pressence of oil in the ground. Pre owners will want to buy stuff, and Palm is making it easy. if you want to fight this trend, don't buy anything, and do your small part to change market realities. I wish you well, but I still have some stuff I want.
  2. #22  
    If we're talking wants, needs and spending money....If I have my Pre I no longer need my $200 standalone gps with its monthly service charge. I no longer need my one stand alone media player. I won't need to carry my netbook as much. Maybe I'll be a little more organized and notice some efficiencies in my daily routine.

    The last piece of software I bought for my Palm was Agendus, and I use it daily. I have downloaded many apps the cost money, but they have a 30 day trial usually. So you have a decent window to see how useful the application is. If you can't figure out within 30 days whether or not you find the app useful, then you have issues.

    Personally I think the topic is stupid if you're going to focus on the Pre. Companies have always tried to find ways to make it easier for us to part with our money. One click ordering, saving our credit card for future use, reoccuring charges many often forget about. How many emails do you get a day from the websites you shop? Companies are out to turn a profit, and they'll continually strive to find better and easier ways to get us to part with our money.
  3. #23  
    if you are so accepting of new products and opportunities, why the argument? surely more expendable income + more free time = spending money for a lot of people. your annoyance at people (and probably yourself) buying crap they don't need is understandable, but it isn't webOS's fault.

    this is more of a philosophical discussion on people's decision making skills, or a lack thereof. I get your argument, I really do. but lacking willpower does not change the fact that those services are now there. sure, I get annoyed at the fact that we are constantly inundated with crap we don't need, but buying those things is a choice. I don't need a pre but I have some extra money and I love new cell phones so I am going to buy it and some apps to make my life a little more organized and interesting.

    oh, and you're right. some people can't distinguish between need and want. but that's not a product manufacturer's fault. sounds like a personal problem to me.




    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Let me once again re-state what I'm thinking about all this:
    • I'm all for progress, and for the Palm Pre, and for all its features, including shops right on the device. I don't even mind dedicated buttons for each shop, that, when pressed, buys the entire catalog and charges it to our credit card in an instant - if that's what is the future of human "progress".
    • I'm only revisiting that idealistic premise and differences between needs and desires. We cannot, sometimes, distinguish between the two.
    • I put all things made available on mobile platforms in the category other than "needs" - hence this entire thread.
    • I always like a nice discussion, which is another reason for this thread.
  4. #24  
    If a product you just have to have blurs your ability to figure out if it's out of need or want then the marketing department deserves a pat on the shoulder plain and simple.
  5. #25  
    Like I said in another thread... I really like the idea of an App Store. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. If I want songs, video, or an app to randomly tell me where I should go out to eat... Then I'll have easy access to it. App Stores are fun IMO.

    But... Where's my alarm clock!? Really!?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by peachness View Post
    if you are so accepting of new products and opportunities, why the argument? ...

    AND

    ...buying crap they don't need is understandable, but it isn't webOS's fault.
    Aaaaah... which is precisely the point of this discussion. webOS raises the bar a considerable amount. It's like, life before webOS and after webOS... similar to life before the iPod... and after the iPod.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Like I said in another thread... I really like the idea of an App Store. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. If I want songs, video, or an app to randomly tell me where I should go out to eat... Then I'll have easy access to it. App Stores are fun IMO.

    But... Where's my alarm clock!? Really!?
    Its in the app store, of course, so no worries. Shouldn't be a problem or hassle to download now that they have made it so easy, haha
  8. #28  
    Have they made it easy? I've not seen a demo of the app store...
  9. #29  
    wow, you are really reaching. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but so far everyone just seems to think you are flat out wrong no matter how you try to spin it. It's funny when you think someone makes your point yet you're the only one that sees it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Aaaaah... which is precisely the point of this discussion. webOS raises the bar a considerable amount. It's like, life before webOS and after webOS... similar to life before the iPod... and after the iPod.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/04/2009 at 02:07 PM.
  10. #30  
    Like I said, I like the App Store. The phone comes fully functional in my opinion, so anything beyond that is nifty.

    I just really think not including a basic alarm clock is silly. Just a slight idiosyncracy that the Goat thinks is silly.
  11. #31  
    don't twist my words please. times change and you can either embrace what you want and ignore the rest or just ***** about it. the latter being your preference.

    /shrug

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Aaaaah... which is precisely the point of this discussion. webOS raises the bar a considerable amount. It's like, life before webOS and after webOS... similar to life before the iPod... and after the iPod.
  12.    #32  
    So... the overwhelming conclusions: App stores are a good thing, moreover, they represent progress. Apologies to peachness as I had no intention to twist your words.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    wow, you are really reaching. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but so far everyone just seems to think you are flat out wrong no matter how you try to spin it. It's funny when you think someone makes your point yet you're the only one that sees it.
    No, I see Green's point, and I see how arguments made here both support and oppose it. But I think that people just need to be more aware of how they are being manipulated and how they could be affected in the long term. We wouldn't be in the current crisis if more people just but a little thought into what is their ultimate goal with making purchases. Consumerism is fine and dandy as long as it doesn't consume other aspects of your life such as integrity and morality. I so tired of people throwing away their ethical principles (if they ever had any) and justifying it all in the name of capitalism.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by peachness View Post
    don't twist my words please. times change and you can either embrace what you want and ignore the rest or just ***** about it. the latter being your preference.

    /shrug
    There are other options:
    Reflection could allow you to decide that you don't like the way things are changing and could lead you to encourage others to engage in such reflection.
    Perhaps by starting a thread...
    Who knows maybe you could actually change things for the better or at least learn about some things you might be willing to embrace...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

  15. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #35  
    Pedro,

    The demos I saw had World Clock which is what I currently use for my alarm clock on my Treo.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    There are other options:
    Reflection could allow you to decide that you don't like the way things are changing and could lead you to encourage others to engage in such reflection.
    Perhaps by starting a thread...
    Who knows maybe you could actually change things for the better or at least learn about some things you might be willing to embrace...
    You have a good point. As does GreenHex in some capacity (regarding another post, I never said GH was flat out wrong). But *you* is the key word. The fact that the products are there to buy/use is not the problem (as GH stated about webOS in the initial post). Yes, some companies do work a little harder than others to get people to buy their products, but the fact remains that they are out there and buying them is a personal choice that people need to make. Why should anyone care how many apps I buy? Its going to happen regardless of whether I can do it on my PC or on my phone. I made the money, I choose how I spend it AFTER all of my other bills are paid. I have no sympathy for people that buy too much, get in over their heads and then complain about it.

    GreenHex -- You're giving up too easy, we aren't out to get you. Its nothing personal, I just don't really think that directing your frustration with consumerism at a specific product and its features is the basis for a good argument. On the whole, yes. But directed at a product rather than the stupidity of the masses, no.
  17.    #37  
    peachness:

    It's not that I've given up. Blackhawk5 has pointed the way out, it's all about reflection, exchange of opinions and understanding. Let me put across one more viewpoint, how long will it be before every press of a (on-screen?) button (on your mobile) is charged to your account. "Micro-payments" are an option in the palm developer registration form. How long before the phone dialer is turned into a "service." Once again, I'm exaggerating to make my point. That's the way it goes or will go. Even if you don't directly pay for a service, some advertiser (Google!!!) will be paying for it, and indirectly, you will be.

    I think we are seeing too much into the "webOS." It is but what made me thinking about all this, but only because I will be buying a Pre as soon as it is available (GSM version). Unlike other current mobile platforms, webOS appears to have captured this new thinking effectively. But I'm sure the same argument holds for the iPhone, iPod, E71, WM or whatever.
  18. #38  
    I sympathize and sort of agree with GreenHex's point of view. But I don't worry so much about this kind of behavior on the part of most companies; instead I just try to defend myself against it.

    Everything Sprint added on top of the standard software load for a 755p is walled off in a hidden category of my launcher so I don't see it - it all looked like attempts to either sell me something, or add a new charge on my mobile bill. I've bought quite a bit of software for my 755p, but NONE via Sprint's store.

    My desktop browser runs Adblock. Sending me spam is a guaranteed way to get on my "I'll never buy from you" list. Telemarketers get politely but firmly interrupted with "I'm sorry, I don't respond to any phone marketing". Then I hang up.

    I have a friendly but adversarial relationship with push marketing of any kind. I assume companies are going to try, but I ignore their attempts as a matter of policy. I actively seek out and research products I'm interested in, but do my best to ignore attempts to sell something to me I'm not seeking. Approaching it this way makes it almost a game to catch them trying and then feel superior by ignoring the attempt.

    I'll probably buy software via the Pre market - but none by casually browsing. I'll be looking for an ebook reader, a countdown timer, and a calculator that uses the RPN system. If I find them first in the market, I'll buy there, otherwise I'll go direct to the author after finding them online. But I won't be seeing or tempted by PreFart or PreLightSaber, etc, because of the way I approach purchases.
    Last edited by dwhitman; 04/05/2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: typo
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    peachness:

    It's not that I've given up. Blackhawk5 has pointed the way out, it's all about reflection, exchange of opinions and understanding. Let me put across one more viewpoint, how long will it be before every press of a (on-screen?) button (on your mobile) is charged to your account. "Micro-payments" are an option in the palm developer registration form. How long before the phone dialer is turned into a "service." Once again, I'm exaggerating to make my point. That's the way it goes or will go. Even if you don't directly pay for a service, some advertiser (Google!!!) will be paying for it, and indirectly, you will be.

    I think we are seeing too much into the "webOS." It is but what made me thinking about all this, but only because I will be buying a Pre as soon as it is available (GSM version). Unlike other current mobile platforms, webOS appears to have captured this new thinking effectively. But I'm sure the same argument holds for the iPhone, iPod, E71, WM or whatever.
    I agree with this. However, the conversation started out with you basically making a different argument. Had you posted this at first, I never would have responded.
  20. #40  
    Wait. People actually have *bought* a program that just makes fart sounds?

    I weep for humanity. Seriously.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions