Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    WTH Palm!!!

If you were here I'd slap you right at the back of your head where it really hurts. Announce something useful already.

A "limited" SDK release? Most consumers don't care about that.

P.S. I just submitted my Mojo SDK application.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    ...really? Really?

I've been a big critic here of them not doing anything to present "buzz". However, today is not that day at all.

Indeed, they did exactly what I've been clamoring for them to do. Give us some pertinent NEW information that we can lick our chops for. A release date or price at this point is naive to expect unless its actually coming out in April, which it likely isn't. Its better for them to continue the "first half of this year" and make sure it gets out sometime in that time frame then to say "April 30th" and then end up having it "Delayed" till June 1st, even though June 1st would've been in their original time table.

What did they give us today?

Lets just look at 3rd party apps first.

We got to see the Fandango app, with the cool feature of automatically locating where we are and giving us the information based on that.

They showed us the Sprint TV program with a much better interface imho then the WinMo version I've used.

They showed us the Nascar thing which gives me great hope for the NFL program and, despite not being a Nascar fan, looked slick.

They showed Pandora, with its neat ability to go into the notifications bar.

All these things are some nice bonus's and "new" stuff for the less tech savy.

Lets look at what this tells us more geeky people.

Look at what they did with Fandango and you can start seeing the possibilities of the Pre not just being theoretical but actually coming to fruition. Within the singular app you have it working with the GPS and Cell cignals (to get the tower and GPS info), working with the browser and video program (To directly load up a trailer and play it from the internal program), AND able to work hand in hand with your calender so that as you buy movie tickets it puts an entry into your calender for that time. Think about how big of a feature that is that's finally actually confirmed, the fact that developers are not only able to but encouraged and given great tools to integrate their software into the core PIM features.

Same thing with the way Pandora uses the notification bar. It gave us our first good insight into a third party programmer putting it to use.

What else did they give us today?

Our first real close look at how the launcher functions. Customizable as far as how you can move things around, seems like pretty good speed, settings are part of the launcher tab, and seeming to strive to give a large amount of "side swipe" areas to allow for "anal" people to get the most out of it.

Not to mention the two bombshells.

Yes, a "limited" SDK before they even have a firm release date is a huge bonus. Doubly so that it starts TOMORROW. Lets assume that's its a June release. That's a good full two months that they can let developers they think have a good enough foundation to start getting some legitimate apps up and ready for the app store from day 1. That's not to count the fact they'll likely open it to a more "full" release some weeks prior to the actual launch.

I'd much rather a limited SDK release now if the release date really is going to be June, then I would be about no SDK release until a "full" one 3 weeks before hand.

If they can shoot for even 50 programs out of the gate for hte app store that's going to be huge for them.

And even then, you don't have to worry too much because.........

Palm OS emulation is going to be available from day 1 it seems. I'm not a huge previous Palm user, but even I'm going to be happy to be able to go in and find some decent Palm programs, like perhaps some emulators, to put on this thing. For those with some important business software that will likely be ported over to the Pre but aren't yet, this is going to be big. For their legion of old time fans, this is going to be big.

This has easily been the biggest shot they've fired since CES. Is it on CES's level? No, its not. But that's okay. Its enough that will cause a nice spike in the buzz for the unit.

Add in Howard Stern getting the thing soon to hype it up, and add in that sometime they're going to need to release the date and price, they've positioned themselves well.

Assuming you are looking at a June release. Stern gets it in early April, causing some extra buzz to go along with this. End of April you announce the release and price for more buzz. And then you do your advertising blitz through May to launch in June.

Frankly, I think Palm would've been better suited if they showed some of these third party apps at WMC and then did the Mojo and Palm OS announce now, to spread the buzz, but this is far from a "dud".
    That's all fine and dandy, but did anyone else watch the app video and wonder, after he showed us fandango, why fandango didn't show up in universal search? Why can't I search for movies in universal search and have the option of clicking fandango from it?

Furthermore, why do they not have the ability in the shipped apps to add them to universal search -- especially apps that are glorified web pages?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Sorry Zyphlin, not because you made me read all of that, but because I still don't care enough about SDK, apps, demos as much as I care about WHEN this damn thing will get in to my hands.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    If the only news that is going to be major to you is the release date and price then really, shut the doors and don't come out till May. It likely isn't going to be told to us till end of April, early May.

They've essentially been telling us the release date without actually telling us it since CES. June, end of the 1st half of the year. The only reason they're not putting it in stone is because I'm sure they'd LOVE to get it out earlier but its better to not state an early date and not match it.

And seriously, if having developer support for the device prior to launch so that there are numerous applications to actually USE with the phone by the time it launches then I don't know what's major for you.

Personally, I think the Pre looks great. But I wouldn't want a great looking phone with no programs to do anything on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Sorry Zyphlin, not because you made me read all of that, but because I still don't care enough about SDK, apps, demos as much as I care about WHEN this damn thing will get in to my hands.
    YES!

We are like starving wolves here!!!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I never said price; only the release date. I don't know why people care about the price so much... Phones are always subsidized. Monthly charges matter, and that's why I love my $30 a month SERO.
    Definitely no dud. Very exciting to me.

PalmOS emulation on the way is a biggie.
    Very exciting. Hope Palm doesn't wait another 30 days to start showing off more apps.

And seeing the Sprint apps on there makes me feel better about this being close to ready for release. I like how Sprint has stepped up the look and feel of stuff like Sprint TV to match up with the Pre and WebOS. Hopefully, the music player is of the same quality, but I'll probably using Pandora moreso than listening to my own MP3s.
    I am wondering if the phone will ship with all those apps installed, or if we have to download them first, and if so...will they be free?

Also...I am wondering if buying apps will be charged to a credit card or the phone bill. I am hoping it's a credit card.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I am wondering if the phone will ship with all those apps installed, or if we have to download them first, and if so...will they be free?

Also...I am wondering if buying apps will be charged to a credit card or the phone bill. I am hoping it's a credit card.
    I'm thinking that if you buy it anywhere else but the sprint store it would probably be credit card. If I remember Palm said the Apps wouldn't be tied down to just getting them from their App store.

As much as i want a release date and price, it's definitely exciting to see some more info. Especially seeing how those apps can be integrated into some of the WebOS functions.
    Yeah, I am totally happy with I am seeing now too. Some great stuff. I wonder if Dieter was the only one who shot a video or if there will be more App demo videos popping up soon. I looked through the pic gallery over at Engadget, and there were some pics of Apps like "Flight View" (Program to help you track your airline flights), and Amazon music store, so you'd think they'd post a video of the whole deal too.
    New and different demo's to watch, I'm happy for now. We are getting closer.
    Yeah, I am totally happy with I am seeing now too. Some great stuff. I wonder if Dieter was the only one who shot a video or if there will be more App demo videos popping up soon. I looked through the pic gallery over at Engadget, and there were some pics of Apps like "Flight View" (Program to help you track your airline flights), and Amazon music store, so you'd think they'd post a video of the whole deal too.
    Engadget Video Pandora, Amazon, other third-party apps demoed on Palm Pre

My Pre also a preview video on all their updates they even have a pic preview of the Pre making Phone calls My Pre*|*Tracking the Palm Pre Revolution
    Quote Originally Posted by deleonj1225 View Post
    Engadget Video Pandora, Amazon, other third-party apps demoed on Palm Pre

My Pre also a preview video on all their updates they even have a pic preview of the Pre making Phone calls My Pre*|*Tracking the Palm Pre Revolution
    Sweet man...thanks! For some reason I didn't see that.
    They have a new commercial on the site, showing a restaurant I've been to, and a group on Pandora who's lead singer I know personally. I'm hugely excited about today's announcements, and I signed up for the Developer Preview... on Linux.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Also you should be very excited about the SDK being available before the phone is out, the iPhone didn't have a developer SDK until a year after the phone was out. That means that you see cool apps upon release rather than having to wait 18 months for them to show up. And it means that the iPhone's 25,000 apps in a year of the SDK's availability will be quickly matched or even surpassed by native apps, and if you include emulated Palm OS apps, the Pre will have that count of apps surpassed already.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Oh man, definitely not a dud. This was a great day. We saw new stuff!!!
    Notice how in all the different videos, they used different background pictures...no more of that....orange flowery thing....!

But why don't they ask some of the other easy questions.... what's it look like when the phone is off and a text message comes in....do we get a notification light of some sort?

Can you turn the screen off when listening to music?

Stuff like that they should be able to answer.

When the person in the ad bought the movie tickets it showed a visa logo with a fake CC number so I am assuming we can use CC's.

But why don't they ask some of the other easy questions.... what's it look like when the phone is off and a text message comes in....do we get a notification light of some sort?

Can you turn the screen off when listening to music?
    I would like to know that as well. Maybe someone can make a problem like butler to control the lights on the Pre so we can have it blink for alerts.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast