1.    #1  
    After running fine for weeks, my Treo 680 hung then had what looked like a corrupted prefs file. Thankfully I run a nightly backup to my SD card. So after a hard reset and a full restore I was back in business.

From problem to fix it took me about 10 minutes which was a good thing because I was driving and needed my Telenav GPS.

How would this problem been resolved on the Pre? It's hard to imagine the Pre doing a complete restore over the air in less than 10 minutes!

How does the iPhone handle a similar problem? Do you have to resync with iTunes?

Any opinions?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Occasionally, you have to do a restore on an iPhone via iTunes. It doesn't seem to have the corrupted database problem that Palm OS used to have which was annoying as h*ll - you know, the one where one of your backup file gets corrupted to so you basically have to install your programs from scratch.

I'm curious to see how updates to the smartphone OS are going to be handled wirelessly.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    After running fine for weeks, my Treo 680 hung then had what looked like a corrupted prefs file. Thankfully I run a nightly backup to my SD card. So after a hard reset and a full restore I was back in business.

From problem to fix it took me about 10 minutes which was a good thing because I was driving and needed my Telenav GPS.

How would this problem been resolved on the Pre? It's hard to imagine the Pre doing a complete restore over the air in less than 10 minutes!

How does the iPhone handle a similar problem? Do you have to resync with iTunes?

Any opinions?
    I've been thinking about this. Like your 680, my 755p backs itself up to my miniSd card every night (thanks, NVBackup!), and it's saved my @55 more than once when some key file got corrupted.

Everyone (myself included) has assumed that because we have no removable storage such a solution isn't going to be possible on the Pre.

But there IS nonvolatile storage, just not removable. And when I think back, the only time I've ever taken the card out of my 755p is when the stupid thing gets a bad connection and disappears. So I pop it out and reseat it, then leave it there until it acts up again. So it's not like I was storing this backup off-device - it was always mounted.

So why couldn't an enterprising hacker write something to backup our files to a compressed directory or even separate volume in the on-board nonvolatile memory of a Pre? Probably need a real SDK to do it, not just mojo, but why not?

Of course, if the whole NV memory got munged, you'd still be hosed. But my experience on my 755p is that my problems were generally with a single munged FILE. A backup as described would make it easy to recover from that. And if you couldn't identify a specific file, you could recover everything as long as Linux could still read this one directory/volume correctly.

Am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Only think I can think of it would be the same as the diamond at least I hope. The actual OS is not part of the built in storage ... but then again the info was have so far seems to show the os is on the internal storage :/
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    The OS will almost certainly be loaded from non-volatile memory that isn't accessable to applications. I don't think you'll have to worry about losing the OS. A hard reset will give you a working device.

The question is what happens if you lose an application, or application data, due to file corruption or inadvertant deletion. On a Treo or Centro, you can restore from the local SD card. That option doesn't exist on the Pre.

If it's just a single application or file, you should be able to restore that from the cloud relatively easily. Assuming you're somewhere with an EVDO connection. But if there's a major corruption, and you need to do the equivilent of a hard reset and restore the entire device, doing that over the air doesn't sound very practical.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    mikah is correct that there is already a related thread.
    (actually; there's many)

However, dwhitman mentions a possibility that I have also been curious about. I may have missed it being mentioned in one of the many 'No Sd Card' discussions. So if it was there; I apologize for not seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I've been thinking about this. Like your 680, my 755p backs itself up to my miniSd card every night (thanks, NVBackup!), and it's saved my @55 more than once when some key file got corrupted.

Everyone (myself included) has assumed that because we have no removable storage such a solution isn't going to be possible on the Pre.

But there IS nonvolatile storage, just not removable. And when I think back, the only time I've ever taken the card out of my 755p is when the stupid thing gets a bad connection and disappears. So I pop it out and reseat it, then leave it there until it acts up again. So it's not like I was storing this backup off-device - it was always mounted.

So why couldn't an enterprising hacker write something to backup our files to a compressed directory or even separate volume in the on-board nonvolatile memory of a Pre? Probably need a real SDK to do it, not just mojo, but why not?

Of course, if the whole NV memory got munged, you'd still be hosed. But my experience on my 755p is that my problems were generally with a single munged FILE. A backup as described would make it easy to recover from that. And if you couldn't identify a specific file, you could recover everything as long as Linux could still read this one directory/volume correctly.

Am I missing something?
    So, is dwhitman's thoughts a possibility?
    Is there a way to have a backup preserved somewhere on the device?
    Just call me Berd.
    On my Rant, after you do a hard reset it will do a search for "Wireless Backup," which is a subscription service of some kind (I can't remember how much it cost....$7?).

So would that mean that to be able to backup the Pre we would have to pay extra, or do you think that they would roll this into the price of the phone? I'm on an everything data plan now, and it's not included.