Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I haven't heard of this yet, but I would presume that pre would sometime get skype as well.

One of its main functionalities is to be able to not only voice chat, but also to instant message at the same.

(I'm purposefully leaving out video chat because i don't believe it would be available for the pre.. am I wrong?)

My question is its functioning with synergy. Will I have an option to voice chat with [a person] rather than dial them? within my voice chat, will I be able to put [that same person] on speaker phone and send them a link in the skype chat as I am still talking to them?

I can see skype being a great tool for any platform, and I know alot of companies are using skype to do conference calls. Hell, even Oprah is using skype on her show (though I think that is a marketing deal skype has established with her parent company).

What are your thoughts? This is my 1st post, and I know its a little strong to start off with. I'm sorry if I offend anyone with my greeny posting
    I'd be surprised by a day 1 skype presence -- there is no SDK yet, and the Pre is not even yet out -- so there is now no multitude to cater to yet.

And Skype seems fairly slow in rolling this sort of thing out anyway...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  3.    #3  
    Day 1 skype is definitely out of the question, I just wondered if it would be able to function, if it came at all.
    Those are interesting questions. However, we're going to have to wait...until tomorrow when Skype comes out for iPhone for free. The wait is really killing me but what can you do?
    I know what it is, but have zero need for it. Moving on..lol
    Skype will eventually come to the Pre. This I can almost guarantee. Like cardfan, I don't have much use for it though. I'm sure if the Pre hits big then we'll see an app for it. Definately not on day 1 though. I don't see why you couldn't stream video over Skype either once they nail down video recording for the Pre either. I imagine we could see that one day also.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I know what it is, but have zero need for it. Moving on..lol
    Make friends with people from, or have family in other countries and you will. Skype is an amazing service.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Make friends with people from, or have family in other countries and you will. Skype is an amazing service.
    Agreed, use it often when I travel overseas. It would be perfect for the Pre, since you cant use it (atleast the Sprint version) outside the country.
    I think maybe what would limit Skype is the upload speed, which has been a problem with EVDA rev 0. Maybe that'll improve with Rev A. WiFi, of course, should eliminate that problem.

Even now, however, you can use SkypeOut with most phones to call overseas. But I guess the simultaneous IM feature would be nice.
    It would be useful yes, but given the fact that it has taken Skype so long to come out with an iPhone version I am not holding my breath,
    Having said that it would be nice but frankly the call quality on my Treo Pro's Skype for WM is not as good as on the desktop.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I think it would be sweet! Hopefully by the end of the year were will see a good bit of apps that make it level with the iPhone and WM.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Wait, doesn't skype use the camera to talk to someone visually and vocally? Now, I personally think that using this on the Pre would be a challenge because you'd be going from the back of the phone to the front...constantly! I have never used it, so I don't know how it works but if it's anything like that then I think i'm going to pass....
    Skype on a smartphone will mostly be used to make voice calls and text chat, particularly international ones, via WiFi (it will not work with 3G). If you have someone overseas that you want to talk to on a regular basis for free, it's pretty neat. I just downloaded it from the App Store but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    Strange that they can't make it work on 3G when the WM version can.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Skype on a smartphone will mostly be used to make voice calls and text chat, particularly international ones, via WiFi (it will not work with 3G). If you have someone overseas that you want to talk to on a regular basis for free, it's pretty neat. I just downloaded it from the App Store but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    i used it with 3G with my treo 800w
    I believe the functionality is being blocked by AT&T. After all, users would be using the 3G bandwith to make long distance calls without being charged. In Europe, T Mobile is even blocking the use of it via Wifi.
    Last edited by StatCoder; 03/31/2009 at 07:36 AM.
    In Europe, T Mobile is even blocking the use of it via Wifi.
    How can T-Mobile even know if you're using Skype over wifi?
    in time - it will be on pre. If it's on Iphone and blackberry, it will also be on the pre.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I believe the functionality is being blocked by AT&T. After all, users would be using the 3G bandwith to make long distance calls without being charged. In Europe, T Mobile is even blocking the use of it via Wifi.
    There are posts that state the beta 3.0 software allows it. Of course, if AT&T butchers that too...
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    There are posts that state the beta 3.0 software allows it. Of course, if AT&T butchers that too...
    I think its more a matter of AT&T requesting to Apple to not allow access over 3G. The 3.0 OS is still in beta so not as much concern yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast