1.    #1  
    In another thread, I just read a post complaining that all of the threads discuss the same points and suggesting that people start new threads with new topics. This one is my attempt. I suppose this could fit into the mega-thread of predictions and speculation, but I specifically am interested in a different line of speculation.

Lets look into the future after the Pre is released, and perhaps after the GSM version of the Pre is released. What do you think will be the new/different features of the next webOS phone?

Based on some of the comments I have read so far, I suspect there might be an addition of a removable memory card. Of course, the built-in memory would be adjusted to whatever Palm thinks is appropriate for the market at that time. But what else? A different form factor? A landscape mode keyboard? No physical keyboard? Combined CDMA/GSM radio?

Use your imaginations and tell me what you think might be realistic for a next-generation webOS device.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Well, this thread already talks about changes to the Pre.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...e-see-pre.html

But for a brand new WebOS phone altogether, I do see a landscape KB.
    I see a world phone being their next endevour.
    none slider webos phone
    I think the addition of Flash by the end of 2009 will enable some very exciting things. Check out the Google Chrome experiments. I'm not smart enough to look at the software on display and come up with economically viable ideas, but I know that others will.

For example, a ball bouncing through multiple open browser windows impresses me, but someone else will see how that capability can be seriously applied. Until then, I'll be busy talking through the pirate head.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I see a world phone being their next endevour.
    WE could only hope for a CDMA/GSM Pre

give us 32 g and a micro sd to boot and we will have close to a perfect phone.
    I'm thinking two new physical sizes for the next releases:

1. Something even smaller, at a lower price point. Think 755P-> Centro, Pre--> X. Storage probably about the same.

2. Something in the netbook size range, too big to put in your pocket, but a better keyboard and bigger screen, more onboard storage plus an expansion slot or the ability to mount a USB drive.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    I think the addition of Flash by the end of 2009 will enable some very exciting things. Check out the Google Chrome experiments. I'm not smart enough to look at the software on display and come up with economically viable ideas, but I know that others will.

For example, a ball bouncing through multiple open browser windows impresses me, but someone else will see how that capability can be seriously applied. Until then, I'll be busy talking through the pirate head.
    Flash will be great, but the experiments you are talking about was to show what could be done with JavaScript. No Flash involved.
    Yeah, I'd surely like a bigger form factor with larger screen and kb. I'd stop short of netbook size, though, IMO, that would be too big. Also, the ability to use a physical kb in both landscape and portrait would be cool, like the rumored:

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I'm thinking two new physical sizes for the next releases:

1. Something even smaller, at a lower price point. Think 755P-> Centro, Pre--> X. Storage probably about the same.

2. Something in the netbook size range, too big to put in your pocket, but a better keyboard and bigger screen, more onboard storage plus an expansion slot or the ability to mount a USB drive.
    Future developments:

I see a CDMA/GSM model in the near future. This is huge selling point for Sprint/VZW business customers.

I see a full touch screen model as well, maybe even as the 'Centro replacement'. A cheaper, more slim, non keyboard version would fill that role well.

I agree that we will see models with more built in memory as well, though I think Palm has made clear that they do not see removable memory as an important feature and that they plan to follow the iPhone model here.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post

Oh, my friend, the Google Chrome experiments are javascript, not flash. And the Pre runs on primarily javascript. So such things are decidedly more near term that you might think.

Personally, for the next high-end WebOS device, I'd like to see a device that is kind of in between a netbook and the Pre, with a slide out keyboard. Like, a 7 inch screen, with 1280x720 resolution, and a slide-out keyboard in landscape. I still want it to be a phone, though--it should come pre-packaged with a really great BT headset, or maybe an iPod Nano-sized BT handset. Kind of the reverse of the Foleo idea. Not that this would ever happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Yeah, I'd surely like a bigger form factor with larger screen and kb. I'd stop short of netbook size, though, IMO, that would be too big. Also, the ability to use a physical kb in both landscape and portrait would be cool, like the rumored:

That picture was floating around last fall, and was circulating again just before CES. I distinctly remember worrying the night before CES "please please please not that Roteo thing...I really want to stick with Palm, but NOT if that's the new option."

Everything's a matter of personal taste, but to me at least, that thing is b*tt ugly, and looks really awkward and tippy to hold in landscape more. YMMV, but I'm glad we're getting the Pre first.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    For that thing to work, the keyboard would have to both rotate and slide.
    I'd like to see two form factor changes:

1. A flip: 16:9 portrait screen on the top. Smaller bottom portion for the keyboard so when you closed it about a half inch of the screen at the top would still be visible. Could give you the basic info when closed like date/time, incoming call info and such. Similar to the idea of the Kyo 6035 when closed.

2. Treo Pro form factor but the screen would extend down to just above the keyboard. The button layout above the keyboard would become part of the screen and only visible when needed. Users could actually customize the screen to create their own standard button layout for what works best for them. You'd have a slim candybar style phone with the familiar screen and hard keyed thumb board, but you'd have the larger touch screen advantage and ability to customize the button layout.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I'd like the Pre to be an excellent device and for Palm to still be in business by Jan. 1, 2010. Since neither of these are certain, ambitions for things beyond are pretty fanciful.
    -- Josh
    A WebOS device with the form factor of the Sony Vaio P would be awesome, but it won't happen.