Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Has anyone seen (official) word on whether or not the Pre (on Sprint) will have Visual Voicemail? I know Sprint negotiated a license for it (from Klausner Technologies... the people that hold the patent for it) on the Samsung Instinct, and I seem to recall hearing mention about it on the Pre... But I'm wondering whether that was official, or just speculation, since I don't see any mention of it on either the Palm or Sprint websites. Granted Sprint isn't listing any other applications yet either (and I'm assuming VVM will be treated as an app), and we already do have official confirmation of Telenav, Sprint TV, and Nascar, & NFL apps... BUT I'm really curious about VVM in particular.

Anyone remember reading (or hearing during a webcast or video interview) anything official that could answer the question one way or another?
    I could have SWORN I have seen mention of Visual Voicemail on the Pre, but I just scoured for some info and came up with nothing. I'll dig some more and see if I can come up with anything.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I could have SWORN I have seen mention of Visual Voicemail on the Pre, but I just scoured for some info and came up with nothing. I'll dig some more and see if I can come up with anything.
    It defintitely would be a feature I would love to have. Also...to be that iPhone killer, it would be a feature it would need to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    It defintitely would be a feature I would love to have. Also...to be that iPhone killer, it would be a feature it would need to have.
    I truthfully don't even understand what V.V. is all about. I've never seen it in action.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  5. joelpalm
    From Wikipedia:

Visual Voicemail, or Random Access Voicemail, is the process of adding a visual aspect to phone voicemail such as allowing users to view a list of audio voicemail entries or even read transcriptions of voicemail. In the recent months, several companies in the telecommunications space have integrated a visual element into their voicemail services. The most prominent usage of this technology is found in Apple's iPhone and Samsung's Instinct and the Blackberry Storm.

Other phone system vendors are now also offering these features for internal voicemail users. This complements the basic voicemail to e-mail delivery which is becoming ubiquitous in that it allows better management of voicemail messages without clogging up the user's inbox.
    Honestly, I'd love if it somehow had native support for Google Voice for Visual Voicemail, SMS forwarding, that sort of stuff. I've used Grandcentral for a while before it was owned by Google but I never could get all that into it because it was always sort of kludgy on phones.

I don't expect it, but it'd be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I truthfully don't even understand what V.V. is all about. I've never seen it in action.
    Here is a video of VVM being demoed on the iPhone.

I have VV on my Treo. Not free, but reasonable. Google for PhoneTag or Simulscribe (same service).
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I have VV on my Treo. Not free, but reasonable. Google for PhoneTag or Simulscribe (same service).
    Don't you love when Apple or any other large comunist orginazation announces a feature and say that it is revolutionary but we have had it on our Treos for years?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Yeah that's something I definitely want to come with the phone. If not I'd consider paying for it... Seems like a good feature to have.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    I sure hope so. I enjoy the Visual Voicemail on my Samsung Instinct and hope to find a similar feature on the Palm Pre!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    From Palm's blog comments:
    "Hi guys -- visual voicemail is something we'll discuss when the Pre is available."
    Posted by: Alex H. at Edelman for Palm | April 09, 2009 at 09:51 AM
    Dear Palm,

The "We're not talking about that right now," and "We'll talk about that later," lines are getting a little stale.

Cap'n
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Honestly, I'd love if it somehow had native support for Google Voice for Visual Voicemail, SMS forwarding, that sort of stuff. I've used Grandcentral for a while before it was owned by Google but I never could get all that into it because it was always sort of kludgy on phones.

I don't expect it, but it'd be nice.
    The Pre is already to tied to Google for my liking. I want a native solution built in by Palm.