Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Okay, so this makes the second beta tester we are aware of (if you believe Jim). I'm guessing that both of these testers received their phone recently.

I wonder how long it takes from beta test to release? I would think they want beta testers to beat the crap out of the phone for at least a couple of weeks to uncover issues. And then they have to do some bug fixes, figure a couple more weeks. Then get the final software on all the phones (no idea how long that takes). So I'm thinking a month away at least.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post

Also, now you've got me assuming that EVERYONE in these forums is a beta tester... And I am the only one without a Pre right now.
    that would be a correct assumption
    BTW... This Beta testing... It's for Sprint, not Palm, right? The phones the Beta testers are using are the final hardware build too?

My prediction is still with Dieter: May 10th. Now I'm starting to assume May 10th is a best case scenerio though. Where as earlier I thought May 10th was a very conservative estimate.
    Reminiz I knew it all along!!! I'm in a NINJA forum that has the Pre as only a secondary topic! While you guys are secretly whispering about ninja swords and caltrops in a secret sub-section of the forum, the Goat is left alone in the public forum all alone! I knew it!!!
    The vibe I got was that it was a Sprint beta but being conducted by a third party administrator... it's weird because I am in the Palm Feedback Community with many other people from this forum, not a peep from that outlet has been made.
    I think that Palm's job is nearly done as far as testing goes. It's now in Sprint's hands to work out all the kinks with their software and network. The browser issue puts me at unease though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    The vibe I got was that it was a Sprint beta but being conducted by a third party administrator... it's weird because I am in the Palm Feedback Community with many other people from this forum, not a peep from that outlet has been made.
    Is it through Centercode? Or someone else...
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Java and Javascript are two different beasts. He wouldn't elaborate on which one was the culprit, makes me wonder if they have a beta Flash program on their devices.
    Well, he mentioned LogMeIn, which would indicate Java (most likely), not JavaScript. For me, although Java functionality would be very nice, it can wait.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    ^My confusion with Java apps and Javascript are silly Goatness. I feel better now. I really don't need full-functioning web apps right off the bat. So this is reassuring.

I just want to view a REAL web page without the frustrations my Blackberry hands me.
    Sad this twitter dude has gone dead since Saturday. Either he got yelled at by Sprint or he got really sick of all the nerds pm'ing him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Wow - two weeks to go and in that time:

- The FCC will approve the phone so that full production can begin.
    - The Sprint staffs across the country will receive Pre training that hasn't been announced yet.
    - Sprint and Palm will begin their (belated) ad campaigns.
    - Sufficient stock of Pres will be shipped and received at 1200+ Sprint stores.

I can see why you stick with that date.
    Why I stick to it? I said that HE is sticking to it.

And as mentioned earlier by someone else, the phone could have been approved by the FCC already with Palm requesting them to not make it public, the phones could be stock piled already in a warehouse waiting on the final firmware (remember the internal Sprint report for the in stock date for the Pre found by BGR for March 15th), and there have been reports about the ads being finished.

I am just saying it's plausible, I am just sharing with people what other people told me, and that's it, not setting a date in stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    Well, he mentioned LogMeIn, which would indicate Java (most likely), not JavaScript. For me, although Java functionality would be very nice, it can wait.
    Yeah, which is what I assumed, but then he also mentioned VNC (which can be done via client, so maybe they have something already? or it's via Java as well?). JavaScript handles nicely in webkit, I wonder if JavaScriptCore is being used for the Pre?

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Is it through Centercode? Or someone else...
    He actually didn't reference who it was, and I deduced it was 3rd party from him saying, he wasn't contacted by Sprint. I am assuming (which can be VERY wrong) that this 3rd party handles things like NDA agreements and collecting of data/feedback. Ironically, I would think a 3rd party would make NO sense here as they are trying to keep it under wraps as best as possible... again, he didn't specifically state "it's a 3rd party" administrator, that's my artistic licensing.
    I know someone who beta tested the Foleo for Palm. He had it over a month, never spoke publicly about it. Tested the hell out of the thing. Palm requested all beta testers to send back the Foleo beta devices. He told me the Foleo shipped in retail packaging, I saw it. It looked like Palm was getting ready to release it, and then out of nowhere they canceled it. I will say Palm really listed to the beta testers, and obviously they were ready to ship, but in the end it looked like Palm would rather cancel/delay a device instead of sending it out half baked due to the responses of the testers.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton2005 View Post
    listen. i work for a sprint store in Ohio. we have a advocate program where someone from the store gets the phone a month before it comes out and has to do training on it. i am the advocate for my store.
    Seriously friend, advocate models are often as short as a few days. The Treo Pro went to advocates about one week or less before scheduled release. I know of advocates models that got to the advocates after general sales release. I have never heard of a one month interim, that makes no sense and the only time in recent history that occurred was with the Treo Pro which the advocates had a few days before scheduled release of Jan 21, but which ended up being recalled.

My guess is advocates will get the pre one week max before general release, and it is entirely possible it will be after release.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456