Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I am psyched about the Pre, and hav put all my purchases on hold while waiting for it. But, a good friend of mine asked this question that had me thinking.

For backstory, we both have Treo's that reboot multiple times a day.

His question...
    "If our Treos run Palm software and is constantly rebooting, how/why do we think it would it be different with Palm's new software?
    I've only ever owned a Centro, and my phone has rebooted maybe 3-5 times over a year and a half. But that's just my experience. If I bought a Palm phone that rebooted several times a day, I would sell it/return it ASAP, and go with another company.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If I bought a Palm phone that rebooted several times a day, I would sell it/return it ASAP, and go with another company.
    Agreed - like thousands of people in the US already have done.
    My 755p does reboot on me a few times per week. Not enough to return it, but it does annoy me sometimes.

I think, if you were to ask Palm, because of the whole Palmsource/Access fiasco, they lost control of Palm OS, and were no longer able to make the (very) needed infrastructure changes to the OS to keep up with modern technology. This is why you sometimes hear Garnet referred to as Franken-OS. Considering where it started, it's actually a wonder Garnet runs at all.

However, with WebOS, as the story goes, they've been able to start from a completely blank Linux canvas and build an infrastructure that is capable now and in the foreseeable future, making it much easier to build something that works well. Resets seem to be a part of the modern computing experience, but Linux is pretty good at not locking up.

We'll have to wait and see what happens, but I would expect that reviewers will get a chance to check these sorts of things out prior to the release.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I've only ever owned a Centro, and my phone has rebooted maybe 3-5 times over a year and a half. But that's just my experience. If I bought a Palm phone that rebooted several times a day, I would sell it/return it ASAP, and go with another company.
    I agree. But as I suspect is the case with many, these are issues that get worse over time. I started out with an occasional reboot, and now I reset constantly.

Would love to get a new phone, but am anxiously awaiting the Pre. Or, at least I was until this recent ponderable...
    My 755p has restarted once since I got it 3 months ago. I forget what I was doing to make that happen though. MUCH better than my 650p, which was roughly 5 times a week. Still, several times a day is insane.

And I think WebOS is going to be quite reliable.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    A hard reset can make your phone seem like new again. I think that many times the rebooting can be mostly eliminated by a fresh start. Then reload 3rd party apps systematically rather than all at once.

My experience is that when I'm getting a lot of reboots I'm usually the problem. It's great to have this wide choice of apps to choose from. The price we pay is having to tinker and tweak. As for me, I think it's part of the fun of Palm OS.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I just don't see the situation as being comparable - Palm OS was a PDA software that then had phones bits bolted onto it. Web OS is designed from the ground up for phones.

It could suck but that will have nothing to do with past performance.
    Besides everyone else's very good responses relating to how garnet isn't 100% palm's creation and webOS was built from the ground up, I personally feel like many people with problems are the ones that install lots of 3rd party apps from unreliable sources. This is one of the main reason apple has wanted to be strict about their 3rd party software approval process. I expect that people who are very concerned about stability will ONLY download apps from Palm's app store where Palm can put the apps through their testing criteria.

As for me, I've had a 755p for quite awhile (and a 700p before that) and for over a year it was awesome. No reboots or anything unless I did something wrong. Then suddenly a few months ago (right after the Pre announcement) the phone started rebooting like crazy. I've had my text message database get corrupted and the other day everything on the phone got completely wiped. This morning it rebooted another couple times which I got to wake up to. Even so, I'm gonna hold onto it a few more months or for whenever the Pre comes out.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Besides everyone else's very good responses relating to how garnet isn't 100% palm's creation and webOS was built from the ground up, I personally feel like many people with problems are the ones that install lots of 3rd party apps from unreliable sources. This is one of the main reason apple has wanted to be strict about their 3rd party software approval process. I expect that people who are very concerned about stability will ONLY download apps from Palm's app store where Palm can put the apps through their testing criteria.
    Yes that's the most important part , APPLE controlling everything.
    Others (Microsoft , RIM... ) should follow it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yes that's the most important part , APPLE controlling everything.
    Others (Microsoft , RIM... ) should follow it.
    i definitely don't think everyone else should follow it. If I wanted a tightly controlled phone, I would get an iphone. I don't want it though. Personally I think the iphone is total crap without jailbreaking it, but to each their own.
    more important than the OS & Stability, is qc on the actual phsyical product itself. I've had treos since the 600, and the later models seemed like they lasted about 6 months before their innards got bugy & needed to be replaced/exchanged.

I just recently gave up on my centro and that was 6 months old. Wasn't resetting as much as it stopped receiving calls. Was it the network (Sprint) or was it the phone?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    This is one of the main reason apple has wanted to be strict about their 3rd party software approval process. I expect that people who are very concerned about stability will ONLY download apps from Palm's app store where Palm can put the apps through their testing criteria.
    I have an ipod touch, latest version, and it is not the most reliable device I have owned, my daughter also has one, same experience.
    Terry
    I had a 650, for 3 years and it did have the occasional reboot, but like other posters said if i stuck to reliable programs to add to it, it was lessened. I would only add one program at a time and see how it affected it after a few weeks. If the rebooting became more frequent or it started acting up, you could usually say their was a conflict with the program I installed. Deleted it and it went back to normal.
    The 3rd party app line is complete BS. I've rid myself of a lot of software I hardly use. Have about four apps on my Centro, and I get resets about 3-5 times a month. Granted there are some apps that are suspect, but if you're using them and get resets then you have no right to complain.

I think the PalmOS has just been tweaked and upgraded to work on this modern hardware and it can only do so much and just has certain inherent problems that can't be overcome and will just surface from time to time. So there's a very good reason it's been abandoned. I never had resets on my standalone Palm's, and I owned quite a few of them. In fact my i500 was more stable than any of the Treos I had.

So that's my two cents. WebOS is built from the ground up, and outside of the bugs you'll have with any new operating system should be more stable than a 14yr old OS that has outlived its useful life.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    I have an ipod touch, latest version, and it is not the most reliable device I have owned, my daughter also has one, same experience.
    Terry
    I have not had stability problems with mine nor the 1st gen. iPhone. And the iPhone has been beaten up pretty badly, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Besides everyone else's very good responses relating to how garnet isn't 100% palm's creation and webOS was built from the ground up, I personally feel like many people with problems are the ones that install lots of 3rd party apps from unreliable sources.

Bingo!

18 months of 755P ownership, I'm now more-or-less reset free. I had experienced near-daily resets in the first few months of owning the phone, but after deleting 3rd party apps I wasn't really using I now have a very stable, solid phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    Terry
    My iPod touch has been very solid. That's with a lot of third party programs on it. I guess YMMV.
    Totally kind of straying from topic, but my Blackberry never resets. (Ever...) I only have about 5 3rd party apps on it though. I pray the Pre won't suffer from this. I'm not used to it and it sounds really annoying.

I think nearly everyone in this forum is going to be an early adopter. So we're going to have to work through a lot of issues together. I think it will be an overall stable phone. Linux as a platform has always had a reputation for being extremely stable and efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    more important than the OS & Stability, is qc on the actual phsyical product itself. I've had treos since the 600, and the later models seemed like they lasted about 6 months before their innards got bugy & needed to be replaced/exchanged.

I just recently gave up on my centro and that was 6 months old. Wasn't resetting as much as it stopped receiving calls. Was it the network (Sprint) or was it the phone?
    try hard reset
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast