1.    #1  
    I was looking at some Pre pictures on Palm's site and I came across an image that shows a little D-Pad on the bottom of the screen and the words "drag anywhere on screen to move curser. I'll upload the image here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thats interesting. Where on Palm's site did you get this from?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Thats interesting. Where on Palm's site did you get this from?
    I got it from the gallery on the Palm Pre section of palm.com

Its one of those pictures.
    I confess, I don't understand what that means. Does that mean I can scroll around by dragging a finger on the screen? If so, I don't think this is news. But I'm not sure since it said "to move cursor". What cursor? The typing cursor? Does this mean the screen is in a mode such that a flick left or right on the screen moves the insertion point? If so, that is news, and it's pretty slick.

*sigh*

Sure would like someone to do a thorough review.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I noticed that a while ago, was hoping to discuss it on PrePoint but Mike Cane wimped out of that site. ;0)

I wonder if that's the interface for selecting text, or just moving the cursor in some text fields?
    This is how you select text:

I remember seeing that screen in another one of those videos I saw eons ago, trying to do copy/paste.

EDIT: Here is a video from the same guy doing the copy/paste but from a different angle. You can see it in the first video for a split second though.

Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    This is how you select text:

I remember seeing that screen in another one of those videos I saw eons ago, trying to do copy/paste.

EDIT: Here is a video from the same guy doing the copy/paste but from a different angle. You can see it in the first video for a split second though.

Good catch I had no idea what it was for.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Found this very interesting, as I was wondering how you navigate text w/o a dpad. The whole point of the physical keyboard (which to me is essential and one of the reasons I never even considered an Iphone) is to be able to type faster and without looking (tactile feedback). But w/o a dpad, if you are editing text, it appears you have to go back and forth between the keypad and screen which I think will sub-optimize the whole typing experience.

I don't really think the virtual dpad really solves this...may make it a little better, but I would have greatly preferred a physical dpad (they could have easily put one in instead of that one round button in the gesture area).

IMO, they got the form factor of the Pre exactly right (jury is still out on the software but looks great in the demos!) except for only 2 things: 1) no dpad, and 2) no SD card. If they had just added both of these, it would have been pretty much perfect for me given today's technology…..literally nothing else I would really change.

Still, pretty darn good to just have 2 complaints...I LOVE everything else, including volume switch, gesture area, large screen with slideout keyboard, standard headset jack, status icons "blended" in, the curved design, removable battery, etc. etc…its amazing how much they got right.

I do hope that they (or a 3rd party) will provide software that allows you to use every key on the keypad as a quick launch (for speed dial, apps, websites) like I can do on my 650….no matter how good the launcher is, nothing beats being able to do this in terms of efficiency and ease of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmchen View Post
    I do hope that they (or a 3rd party) will provide software that allows you to use every key on the keypad as a quick launch (for speed dial, apps, websites) like I can do on my 650….no matter how good the launcher is, nothing beats being able to do this in terms of efficiency and ease of use.
    At first, I thought this might interfere with Universal Search, but now that I think about it, a long press should accommodate your quick launch needs. I'm hoping the Pre will have this functionality out of the box too.