Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60
  1.    #1  
    Just saw this on engadget.com

    Apple announces WWDC 2009 dates; iPhone, Snow Leopard countdowns begin

    and those dates are June 8-12!

    Can Palm get off their duff and give us some real information on this phone in development (or software anyway). Palm has always been so tight lipped; when will the dam burst?? Can we see the Pre Released on Sunday June 7 and take a bite out of APPLE?


    Apple announces WWDC 2009 dates; iPhone, Snow Leopard countdowns begin

    Apple Developer Connection - Worldwide Developers Conference 2009
  2. #2  
    I really don't think Palm is strategically concerned with when they release the phone as compared to other competition. They and Sprint have the, "It will be released when it's darned well ready" attitude. Which is fine as long as it's out before June. I'm still with Dieter, May 10th seems pretty realistic, as long as we start seeing an ad campaign next month.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I really don't think Palm is strategically concerned with when they release the phone as compared to other competition. They and Sprint have the, "It will be released when it's darned well ready" attitude. Which is fine as long as it's out before June. I'm still with Dieter, May 10th seems pretty realistic, as long as we start seeing an ad campaign next month.

    Well I know their attitude but could they not for once take a little wind out of Apple's Sail? I am fine with the May Release too. Can't believe it that I am willing be to be a public beta tester again like we were all with the 700p. How can such a fine company make so many blunders and still stay afloat?
    Last edited by Gas Man; 03/26/2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: English Grammar
  4. #4  
    ^Well, I believe they've already taken a lot of wind out of Apple's sail. The device alone did that. Apple's possible response was premiering OS 3.0, and most agree that the response wasn't enough to take wind out of Palm's sail.

    Competitive timing would be great IMO. I just don't think that Sprint or Palm are taking that stance, they seem to want a solid launch no matter what the market looks like at the time. A botched launch would be a bigger problem than not timing it right against the upcoming new iPhone.
  5. #5  
    I also think that we won't see a Storm launch either. I think Palm knows they cannot afford to put out a really buggy phone. If the Pre suffers from random resets, dropped calls, non-functioning apps, etc. then Palm knows that they put their whole company under the gillotine. I doubt our "early-adopter" status will be as painful as other instances.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I really don't think Palm is strategically concerned with when they release the phone as compared to other competition. They and Sprint have the, "It will be released when it's darned well ready" attitude. Which is fine as long as it's out before June. I'm still with Dieter, May 10th seems pretty realistic, as long as we start seeing an ad campaign next month.
    They might not be concerned, but they should be. The Pre isnt being sold in a vacuum and they are already starting with a disadvantage.
  7. #7  
    They should and if they don't they better work harder on it.
  8. #8  
    It would be super awsome-o if they did but I highly doubt it
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  9. #9  
    No way Palm and Sprint can get everything they need to do finished before the WWDC.
  10. #10  
    What real difference does it make whether they release a month before WWDC (which could have new iPhone hardware that is likely to outclass the Pre in some categories) or whether they release a little after?

    In either case, the press is going to go ga-ga for whatever Apple says, and users will compare the two no matter what.

    There might be a slight buzz advantage to the Pre releasing a little before WWDC, but it won't last long. There aren't going to be multiple months of purchases under Palm's belt before WWDC at this point, so it makes little difference.
  11. #11  
    I will say that I probably would have an iPhone if they were on Sprint. But, being that they are not, I don't have one. I like the Sprint Simply Everything Plans and I am happy with their service in my area. So it's people like me, that are happy with Sprint and don't want to pay for the much higher AT&T plans just to get an iPhone. To me the Pre is a god send, finally a phone that does all I want. Sprint doesn't have to worry about people like me to ditch them just to get a iPhone. As far as the Apple die hards go, Sprint/Pre never had a chance to convert them over anyhow. Those fan boys will stick with Apple even if they double the price of the iPhone.
  12. #12  
    Yep, its really irrelevant to palm to worry about apple dates. I anticipate shortages no matter what at first.

    I think we can all agree though that the sooner palm can release, the better it is for them (and maybe us) but that has nothing to do with apple.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Yep, its really irrelevant to palm to worry about apple dates.
    I'm sorry but business 101 says otherwise. Why would Palm not consider their competitors product?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I'm sorry but business 101 says otherwise. Why would Palm not consider their competitors product?
    Because in this case, their launch date for iPhone 3.0 won't affect Palm's plans for Pre, whatever that iPhone 3.0 date may be. Palm and Sprint must launch the Pre as soon as it is feasible (meaning that the OS is reasonably bug-free, marketing plans are proceeding accordingly, and sufficient stock is available) to do so. Neither iPhone 3.0 nor any other phone has any bearing on those factors, so these are irrelevant considerations.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Because in this case, their launch date for iPhone 3.0 won't affect Palm's plans for Pre, whatever that iPhone 3.0 date may be. Palm and Sprint must launch the Pre as soon as it is feasible (meaning that the OS is reasonably bug-free, marketing plans are proceeding accordingly, and sufficient stock is available) to do so. Neither iPhone 3.0 nor any other phone has any bearing on those factors, so these are irrelevant considerations.
    Again you don't speak for Palm (though I think you think you do). Palm should strongly consider a Pre release prior to the next iPhone.
  16. #16  
    Umm..they are. The next iphone won't be released til summer well after the first half of 2009.

    You're wanting Palm to release before apple can make their official announcement at their geek conference.

    You seem to think Palm will have more sales if they do so. All i'm saying is that they will already have their problems meeting demand no matter what. Demand will be huge for the Pre at first.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Those fan boys will stick with Apple even if they double the price of the iPhone.
    They would stick with Apple if they had to sell their soul.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    They would stick with Apple if they had to sell their soul.
    Kind of like some people here with Palm.

    You do know that some people actually like their iPhones.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Again you don't speak for Palm (though I think you think you do). Palm should strongly consider a Pre release prior to the next iPhone.
    Please with the ten cent psychology. Oy...

    Look, we can all agree that for Palm to succeed, they MUST - above ALL things - release a smartphone that works well out of the box and creates a great first impression with customers, yes?

    So which of the following will help them do that?

    A) Testing the software thoroughly and having sufficient supply at Sprint stores to meet demand once a fairly bug-free version of the phone is created or...

    B) Beating the iPhone into stores.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Kind of like some people here with Palm.

    You do know that some people actually like their iPhones.
    Some people actually like iphones!?! LoL. Personally what I keep hearing from everyone that has an iphone is "you get used to it". I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to learn how to type on my phone all over again. Maybe I'm old school, but the on screen keyboard sucks. I've tried it sooooo many times, and no matter what I make about 50% more mistakes with it than my treo and type slower in general cause I'm trying to get it right. In my mind there are 3 reasons people buy iphones. 1) They're apple whores/scene whores. 2) They wanted a big screen with a browser that actually works decently well. 3) They wanted the huge selection of 3rd party apps (and/or jailbroken apps). The first category of people will NOT switch to Palm. The second 2 will be easy to bring over once the 3rd party app selection proves to be as good as Apple's.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions