My iPhone combined calendars from 3 different Google accounts seamlessly, real time - my Macbook does this with 5 accounts - Is that Synergy?

My Blackberry smushed all my email accounts into a single listing yet magically remembered which account each email came from - is that Synergy?

My WM contacts each have up to 8 phone numbers, 4 email addresses, 3 URLs, 4 addresses, and a bunch more stuff I can cut-n-paste from call logs, the web, email and the like - is that synergy?

What's the secret weapon Palm synergy has?
  2.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    My iPhone combined calendars from 3 different Google accounts seamlessly, real time - my Macbook does this with 5 accounts - Is that Synergy?

My Blackberry smushed all my email accounts into a single listing yet magically remembered which account each email came from - is that Synergy?

My WM contacts each have up to 8 phone numbers, 4 email addresses, 3 URLs, 4 addresses, and a bunch more stuff I can cut-n-paste from call logs, the web, email and the like - is that synergy?

What's the secret weapon Palm synergy has?
    It has nothing to do with syncing calendars it's what you can do with that information. It's the possibility of making apps that can use that info automatically to look up and send out info to you or other people.
    Will another phone be able to tell your current location and see where your next appointment is to determine if you're running on time and if not send a text or email to that person to let them know you're running late? That's combining GPS, Calendar and Contacts in a way no other phone does. Is that Synergy?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  4. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Ref: Originally Posted by Kupe

But with a Pre you wouldn't have to carry 3 devices to do this, bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahah!
    I think the other linkages to social networking, and a better inherent ability to sync from multiple sources is imbedded and may hold more promise, we'll have to see, but I'd expect the others will catch up soon. Example you have on calender was all google cals, but what about MS exchange, other types? I think the Pre is supposed to do these things too.
    I'm looking forward to it - or whatever they release on GSM in the states.
    ADS
    Last edited by ads; 03/26/2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: point to post ref'd
    I love all this talk about the Pre being somehow "smarter" than other smart phones. It's an easy thing to say when you don't let anyone try out your device. Somehow it knows what you are looking for, where you are going, who you want to contact and what you want to say. That's quite a lot of hype about something that hasn't even been demonstrated yet.

Somehow, I get the impression that the reality will not be so compelling. Google has spent the past decade or so trying to figure out what people are looking for and attempting to deliver it and they are just starting to get pretty good at it.
    Synergy is actually one of the least compelling parts of the Pre for me. I have my contacts and calenders configured as I like them already.

I have little interest in combining my facebook contacts with my address book contacts, the ones I care about are already in my address book.

I have already tried keeping my contacts on my Blackberry synchronized with my google contacts and due to google's awful habit of making new entries for every worthless email address I send mail to I stopped doing that.

I loved the seemless integration of my iPhone/MobileMe/Mac/PC combination. Bookmarks, calenders and address books were perfectly in sync across every machine wirelessly. Changes on any of the 4 systems propagated to the others wirelessly. I kept my email separate and had no issues.

That is what I would like synergy to do for me. If it can deliver that, great. If not I will disable it and the other strengths of the Pre are compelling enough on their own.
    should be a setting in gmail to not auto add email adrs in. AOL and yahoo did that. I fixed it on yahoo. could care less about aol.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Somehow, I get the impression that the reality will not be so compelling. Google has spent the past decade or so trying to figure out what people are looking for and attempting to deliver it and they are just starting to get pretty good at it.
    That's what I'm talking about. Google already manages multiple calendars for me and pushes the information to my laptop and phone. They could also do that with my email if I trusted their security. The GPS/Calendar/Email example crogs gives is very clever - but given the unreliability of GPS arrival time calculations I can see a slew of false messages begin sent out.

Ads, your comments, like mine, are supposition (example: Example you have on calender was all google cals, but what about MS exchange, other types? I think the Pre is supposed to do these things too.). For a single account Pre to have access to other individuals' Exchange, BES, BIS, Domino, Good, Yahoo, Google account info goes beyond any claims Palm can count on since it involves a yet-to-be-developed infrastucture change in the rest of the world. The social networking integration might be a useful feature.

So what truly unique and broadly useful capability is Palm's Synergy going to bring to the table that just hasn't been created yet? Crogs' GPS example is certainly unique, but I remain unconvinced of its usefulness. What else? Brainstorm some.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I have already tried keeping my contacts on my Blackberry synchronized with my google contacts and due to google's awful habit of making new entries for every worthless email address I send mail to I stopped doing that.
    I hated that too. Google no longer does it though. There is now a "Suggested" category that all these addresses are saved into. They're not added to your regular contact list.
    I've said it before on a side note, and I'm glad a thread popped up about it. Good OP.

But... I just don't think Synergy is going to be a device seller. People that come over to my house get the device videos shoved in their faces. They all are amazed about the form factor, the Amazon Music Store, the clean UI, and DEFINATELY the browser. Not too many of them care at all for Synergy. As far as constantly watching these forums, I rarely see anyone say much about the benefits of Synergy. I see more people outraged at the lack of desktop sync and backwards compatibility with your older Palm OS apps.

I don't think Synergy is a make or break feature... It's more like a nifty side note.
    Ref. Kupe: So what truly unique and broadly useful capability is Palm's Synergy going to bring to the table that just hasn't been created yet?

Once the Pre is released, I won't have to come in here and wade through your negative posts anymore. I come in here for info and interesting ideas about the phone, not your snarky postings. That's truly useful.
    ^Haw! He's got a point. I love the term "snarky" by the way. All we have right now is speculation. Some of it WILL be negative speculation though. I also promise, this forum won't be all sunshine when the phone gets released. There will be many people complaining about glitches and other things they don't like about our precious Pre.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

For a single account Pre to have access to other individuals' Exchange, BES, BIS, Domino, Good, Yahoo, Google account info goes beyond any claims Palm can count on since it involves a yet-to-be-developed infrastucture change in the rest of the world. The social networking integration might be a useful feature.
    It might not be a rocket science , to integrate all of these. All you need is a data element that creates the relationship using
    phone number,
    email ,
    last name ,
    first name,
    fax number ,
    home address,
    zip code ..

the list goes on.

First hit is based on a sure shot match between two phone numbers , if not
    search last name , if not first name ,.... if not .... it goes on.

But I doubt Pre can handle all of the independent data from these sources.
    There will be a performance issue.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    They all are amazed about the form factor, the Amazon Music Store, the clean UI, and DEFINATELY the browser.
    Goat,
    I completely agree on the BROWSER thing. I will say this on standing on my one leg "The fast browser and the similarity with iPhone type multi touch zooming"
    is the killer feature.

The rest is important but not talked about.
    ^+3,000
    I think Synergy will be a great feature, but it is more a design philosophy that permeates the entire system than a single feature. Integration of similar information from multiple data sources absolutely is not rocket science. But there aren't any other phones that are doing it to the extent that WebOS seems to be doing it. It's baked into the operating system itself.

That said, others will be doing it soon too, and even before that (actually already this is happening) others will claim to do it to some extent.

But I agree with the comment that it won't be a selling point. It won't be something that people understand until they live with the Pre for a while. It won't be something the salesman can really show in a substantial way in the Sprint store.

My prediction: Synergy won't sell you the device, but it will be the reason you still have it after a year, and the reason why you have to have another WebOS device after that.