View Poll Results: Is there's a good chance that the Pre won't be released?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! There's a good chance Palm will fail to deliver the Pre!

8 9.52%
  • No! There's no way Palm will drop the ball, again.

73 86.90%
  • Other! (Please explain.)

3 3.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Before CES, there were a number of people saying that "Nova" (as the operating system was known by, at the time) would never see the light of day - that, like the Foleo, Palm was going to end things with a whimper instead of a bang.

Once the Pre and WebOS were unveiled, I wanted to say (and may have said) something like, "Ha! Shows what YOU know!"

But when I think about it, the Foleo made it this far, too, didn't it? We actually saw a working unit and people had tried it out and raved about it. It didn't reach Pre levels of popularity or web-presence, but it looked like a done deal.

Then nothing.

So, do you think there's a good chance that the Pre, the Foleo, won't be released?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Oh please. I don't agree.

By the end of June I will be using my new Pre.
    I don't think Palm will fail to deliver the device. Even if it's taking too long (assuming they don't meet the 1st half of '09) & kinda buggy, they will push it out. At least to make some cash on it.
    There's no way that Palm will not release this device. Their stock has been going up, Sprint is gearing up for it, the buzz is still alive. If they don't release it, Palm might as well close their doors.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    what made you think of this ?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    what made you think of this ?
    I explained that in the first post.

*shrinks at grammar error in poll question*
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    But when I think about it, the Foleo made it this far, too, didn't it? We actually saw a working unit and people had tried it out and raved about it.
    Then nothing.

So, do you think there's a good chance that the Pre, the Foleo, won't be released?
    I think you can hardly say that people "raved" about the Foleo. I counted on one hand how many people said it was a good idea. It got nothing but negative criticisms, and most have said it was one if not the worst idea came up by Palm. The two have nothing in common whatsoever.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    I think you can hardly say that people "raved" about the Foleo. I counted on one hand how many people said it was a good idea. It got nothing but negative criticisms,
    Because that's all you say or recall, that's all that existed?

and most have said it was one if not the worst idea came up by Palm. The two have nothing in common whatsoever.
    A lot of people came over to what you might call "the dark side" as more time went by. Obviously you weren't one of them.
    Three points:

- The Pre has been announced with a carrier partner.
    - Even if the Foleo did get some positive reviews, there is no comparison between its hype and the Pre's hype.
    - The Foleo was never a make-or-break product for Palm. The Pre is definitely make-or-break.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  10.    #10  
    So far, we're holding at a fairly steady and very low 12% that doesn't think the Pre will materialize.
    I think you can hardly say that people "raved" about the Foleo. I counted on one hand how many people said it was a good idea. It got nothing but negative criticisms, and most have said it was one if not the worst idea came up by Palm. The two have nothing in common whatsoever.
    That was Jeff's Hawkins baby that was going to change the world!! I am still upset at Palm for wasting time, resources and money on that Device. It may have paved the way for the "netbooks" but there was nothing revolutionary about the device. If they had concentrated on Smartphones we would have had the Palm Pre in June of 2008 or 2007. And Palm would have been getting ready to release the 3rd generation Pre instead of the 1st.

Palm needs to create a little news to tell us about the "Palm Application Store" RIM is going to open their store on April 1 (Hope that is not April Fools)
    It will be released and it will be a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    It will be released and it will be a success.
    It will certainly be released - some may declare it a success ... even as early as 3 months before it's released!
    it will succeed for Sprint, nowhere near the level of the iPhone, way better than the instinct. but if it does great on sprint and word of mouth gets around, as soon as WebOS starts popping out on other devices on other carriers, that will be the true test. And I think that's where Palm should be, hoping for the future success of WebOS and not just the Pre.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    thing is with the foleo is that Palm didn't drop the ball they made a tough choice and decided not to launch and focus on WebOS for the OS for the company’s OS instead of having to manage and support 3 OSs.....
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    I voted "other". I think they may release a little too late unfortunately. Not exactly that they'll fail to deliver, just that there's a chance they will take a bit too long.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    thing is with the foleo is that Palm didn't drop the ball they made a tough choice and decided not to launch and focus on WebOS for the OS for the company’s OS instead of having to manage and support 3 OSs.....
    Yeah - in revisionist land that's exactly how it happened. In the real world, the release was stopped because the potential market for it was minuscule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yeah - in revisionist land that's exactly how it happened. In the real world, the release was stopped because the potential market for it was minuscule.
    A lot of random people on the internet keep saying that, but most of the people who actually used it seemed to have loved it, from what I could tell.

If the Foleo had been at the time running what was to become the basis for WebOS, they would've released it. Maybe in limited quantities if there was that small of a market as you say, but if that was the only factor holding it back, they were far enough along that they'd have released it.

The issues were as said above, that it didn't share anything with what became WebOS, and so they stopped working on the Foleo, which always had been a side project for them, to refocus on their core business- smartphones.

They're not going to do that and then reveal information on their flagship smartphone, their flagship device in general, and then all of a sudden refocus on something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    A lot of random people on the internet keep saying that, but most of the people who actually used it seemed to have loved it, from what I could tell.
    Let's be honest here - a few random people loved it. Let me guess - they were big supporters of Hawkins "vision" even before they saw one. The reality is most of the major blogs on the internet were scratching their collective heads wondering what the heck Palm was thinking of when they brought out the Foleo.

If the Foleo had been at the time running what was to become the basis for WebOS, they would've released it. Maybe in limited quantities if there was that small of a market as you say, but if that was the only factor holding it back, they were far enough along that they'd have released it.
    Go back into the Foleo forum and count the number of declarations that begin with "If the Foleo had..." But the bottom line is the Foleo had what the Foleo had - and what it didn't have was utility beyond a small user community. Overpriced, underpowered, and of questionable utility, the Foleo's biggest success was in drawing big question marks over peoples' heads when they heard about it.

The issues were as said above, that it didn't share anything with what became WebOS, and so they stopped working on the Foleo, which always had been a side project for them, to refocus on their core business- smartphones.
    If only that were true. The Foleo was a 4 year R&D project that consumed tens of millions of dollars that Palm will never get back. They stopped work on it to stem the bleeding, halt production, and avoid the embarrassment of a product that wouldn't sell. Colligan said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Colligan on the Palm Blog
    Foleo is based on second platform and a separate development environment, and we need to focus our efforts on one platform. Our own evaluation and early market feedback were telling us that we still have a number of improvements to make Foleo a world-class product, and we can not afford to make those improvements on a platform that is not central to our core focus.
    No where in his blog does he mention WebOS. At that time his "one platform" was what? Palm OS? WM? No mention of WebOS though.

They're not going to do that and then reveal information on their flagship smartphone, their flagship device in general, and then all of a sudden refocus on something else.
    Well, they didn't roll out the Pre until 18 months after the Foleo was mercifully put to rest. If the Foleo had been a truly innovative, marketable product that helped pay for its own R&D costs, maybe Palm wouldn't so cash strapped trying to get their new flagship device to market.

Like I said, even with revisionism, you can't explain away the Foleo as anything but a failure - and a pretty big stumble for Palm. It's amazing their leadership survived it - Well Donna didn't.
    But what's interesting is the concept lived on in other netbooks. The thing is they are much more functional. If only Palm hadn't hung onto the "smartphone companion" idea far too much. They limited the Foleo's function to a smartphone add-on at a price range of low end laptops, which made the Foleo a bad deal essentially. Asus comes out and releases a whole line of small but functional low cost netbooks and that was what the Foleo should have been.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast