Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We have to give thanks to Jimmy from "Gadgetsonthego.net for this one!

Palm's Secret Weapon for the Pre - BusinessWeek

This article talks about Epocrates (and this was in November) so I am sure this program will be ready on day ONE!

Maybe the delay for Pre is that all of the software is not ready yet and they are waiting for a few more programs to make their "Debut" who knows?

Anyway, good article!!
    Thanks for the article.

I have long suspected, and it's been strongly hinted, that Palm still has some major things up it's sleeve for the Pre at launch. Hopefully some real cool stuff that has been kept under wraps.
    I'm surprised at the interest of these developers, considering that there's no indication that Palm has yet addressed the concerns of other developers with regard to the ready visibility of source code and the absence of lower level hardware access.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I'm surprised at the interest of these developers, considering that there's no indication that Palm has yet addressed the concerns of other developers with regard to the ready visibility of source code and the absence of lower level hardware access.
    Hadn't thought about it that way Dr. Grace. But I guess it could be a slap in the face to some developers. There are needed programs on day ONE so we do not have to depend on two devices.

I would of course like to see "Epocrates" or Skyscape
    2. Bible Program (Olive Tree is excellent)
    3. Pocket Quicken (I did not pay attention to the entities that were invited but Intu is Quicken) how are we going to sync our desktops to the cloud with our Desktop version of Quicken?
    4. Sundown Sunset program (Treo Alarms was excellent program, they even dropped support for the Palm OS) I bet Palm will have a alarm clock from 3rd party on release day.
    5. Wallet
    Last edited by Gas Man; 03/25/2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added information
    No, I just mean that some of the developers posting here and elsewhere have been saying that although WebOS might be an attractive platform, they couldn't consider developing software for it until, for example, Palm makes a way to hide the code. Yet those other developers that have been working with Palm don't seem to think it's a problem. So who's right?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    No, I just mean that some of the developers posting here and elsewhere have been saying that although WebOS might be an attractive platform, they couldn't consider developing software for it until, for example, Palm makes a way to hide the code. Yet those other developers that have been working with Palm don't seem to think it's a problem. So who's right?
    maybe palm has a way to hide source code, which isn't unveiled to developers other then some early partners.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I thought the general consensus is that some privileged developers (eg Dataviz, Epocrates) are being given "deeper" access that would allow them to hide their code. How the unprivileged might feel about their exposed position, I dont know.
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    I don't see any benefit to Palm of doing that. I'd think they'd want to encourage as many developers as possible to write software for WebOS.
    Hello all,
    Im a long time reader, and first time poster, as this is the first time I have had anything intelligent or informative to say. I emailed the developers at Olive Tree to ask them what there plans were for developing for the Pre. I am heavily invested in olive tree, and this for me may be my biggest third party software issue for the Pre. They said that they will not make a decision about developing until sometime after the device is released, and then it would be some months after that, if all went well. So for any of you fellow Olive Tree fanatics, looks like our only hope is an emulator, oh well
    Quote Originally Posted by mr dave is a nerd View Post
    Hello all,
    Im a long time reader, and first time poster, as this is the first time I have had anything intelligent or informative to say. I emailed the developers at Olive Tree to ask them what there plans were for developing for the Pre. I am heavily invested in olive tree, and this for me may be my biggest third party software issue for the Pre. They said that they will not make a decision about developing until sometime after the device is released, and then it would be some months after that, if all went well. So for any of you fellow Olive Tree fanatics, looks like our only hope is an emulator, oh well
    Olive Tree, wisely, is waiting to see if there will be a large enough market in the Foleo before they invest time and money developing for it.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Olive Tree, wisely, is waiting to see if there will be a large enough market in the Foleo before they invest time and money developing for it.
    ........that will be a very long wait!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mr dave is a nerd View Post
    Hello all,
    I have contacted support too, and ask them to contact Drew H, I beta tested for them a long time ago on the 700p. Actually their Bible Programs are quite good. I like them better than than Laridian.
    Since the Pre is going to be so "cloud-centric", I really hope we will get a financial/check register program that will use OTA updates using direct connect from our banks/credit unions.

It would be SO easy if I could just download my transactions and then assign categories to them.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    Since the Pre is going to be so "cloud-centric", I really hope we will get a financial/check register program that will use OTA updates using direct connect from our banks/credit unions.

It would be SO easy if I could just download my transactions and then assign categories to them.

Well the people from Quicken were at that meeting. Maybe they will have something nice for us!
    Concerning OliveTree,

1) I am a user
    2) I highly doubt that Palm would include it with their naitive day one launch apps. Unless Im reading this wrong. Im reading you guys as hoping Palm includes it in the phone on day 1. I could be wrong and you might be saying that it will be available for purchase day 1
    3) I never believe ANY CSR when it comes to launch times. So when someone calls OliveTree and asks them about launching, its not usually an accurate answer for several reasons: No one can predict a software launch, next its bad for marketing plus more...

Just my $.02
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    BTW its not OliveTree specifically I was referring to concerning CSR's and launch times. Its ANY company. I work for a software company and I know they keep a VERY tight lid on when something is going to be released.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Well here's the thing. The only thing to really wait on is for Palm to actually release it. If that hurdle is met, the market will be there. And the early bird gets the worm.

But if they (or any other developer) are only focused on market, then they should head on over to Apple. Of course the sea of competition and 99 cent apps is vast and they'd have no real control over it. But hey, its got a market.

Pandora made a name for themselves as one of the early iphone apps. If they had waited til now to submit their app to apple, chances are you still never would have head about em.

If some investors can risk their money in palm, which is hinged on the success of the Pre, then certainly some developers can and should do the same. It's easy to develop for and would be unwise NOT to. But JMO..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Well here's the thing. The only thing to really wait on is for Palm to actually release it. If that hurdle is met, the market will be there. And the early bird gets the worm.

But if they (or any other developer) are only focused on market, then they should head on over to Apple. Of course the sea of competition and 99 cent apps is vast and they'd have no real control over it. But hey, its got a market.

Pandora made a name for themselves as one of the early iphone apps. If they had waited til now to submit their app to apple, chances are you still never would have head about em.

If some investors can risk their money in palm, which is hinged on the success of the Pre, then certainly some developers can and should do the same. It's easy to develop for and would be unwise NOT to. But JMO..

I am just curious, do you have Pandora on your iPhone, and if so, how is the sound quality? I have it on my WinMo phone, and the sound quality is pretty sucky, sounds great on the PC though.
    Well here's the thing. The only thing to really wait on is for Palm to actually release it. If that hurdle is met, the market will be there.
    It must be true if you said so.

You missed another obvious option. Develop for the sure thing - WM, Symbian, and iPhone all have bigger markets today than the Palm Pre will have in two years if things go swimmingly. With a finite number of developers and finite funding to invest in software projects, why jump on the risky one first - especially with the same company that just abandoned the OS that supported your current product?.
    OT
    Kupe--what airplane is that in your avatar? I've been trying to figure it out for months. Is it an F-4?

/OT

If I were a software developer of mobile applications, I would think highly about developing for the Pre because it shouldn't be very hard. This is key--you get access to a whole new set of customers without much investment on your part.

But given that the SDK isn't out yet, only the ones in Palm's inner circle are going to be developing for a little while.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast