Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am not sure I saw anything about this on the forums- I did a search but didn't find anything, but here we go:

Dell buy of Palm would make sense, say analysts

I am not quite sure how I feel about it.
    On the one hand I can see it as a win win for everyone:
    Dell needs a good phone
    Palm needs money

BUT I am not sure how I feel about Dell's current direction.
    Dell wants desperately to get into the handset business. What better way to start then with an established OS (well established in that there is a working version)

This would be HUGE for Dell because they could start putting the WEBOS in smaller laptops for internet only, sound familiar to anyone?
    I don't think the majority of educated shareholders will allow a buyout just yet. Everyone wants to wait and see if the Pre is a huge success or not. If the Pre doesn't catch on quickly enough then we could see that happen I think.

I really don't want to use a Dell phone though.
    This has all been fueled by the press so far. Dell hasn't been making much noise about being interested in it.

It could also be Cramer-like stock manipulation. Bogus rumors of delays floating around yesterday, now acquisition rumors pump up the stock today.
    This could be VERY bogus. There has been no reliable source from either company.

w/ that said, this would be very intresting. Dell was ready to spend big money to get into the SMART phone business. This would be instant entry. And Plam, as reported, is very tight on funds. so:
    * Dell wouldget into the business they are trying to enter quickly, w/ current produts and a brand new product Elevation partners would get paid
    * Palm would have the backing it needs to delive there new product
    * Dell would now own and OS, one it could use in both phones and net book devices.

Maybe not so much a bullet point, but dell would also get alot of talent - alot of former apple talent.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Even more interesting:

Jack Gold, an analyst at J.Gold Associates LLC, said two years ago that Dell might buy Palm, but he changed his tune in an interview today, saying "I think they have both missed the window of opportunity." It's more likely that Dell would buy an Asian handheld maker such as Asustek Computer Inc., Acer Inc. or HTC Corp, Gold said.

I'd rather see dell ruin palm than ruin HTC... Dell buying HTC would be a total disaster of epic proportions... Palm is already ruined so no big deal for dell to step in there...

Actually I'd rather see Palm survive with Dell than die on its own... I don't see how palm will make it in the long term being a 1 trick pony. Palm needs products... like last year... really bad.

When palm was the only reliable pda game in town, they performed fairly well... now the big dogs are waking....

But if dell has 9 billion (if you believe the story), then DON'T be worried about the direction dell is headed... many a company would love to have that cash "problem." LOL

Personally, I think dell is changing and made considerable progress in the past year... times are hard, but dell is doing okay.

Good topic... interesting and different...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    This could be VERY bogus. There has been no reliable source from either company.
    Beelvie me with the high level of reporting outlets this is more reliable than anything you have read here about the pre or Palm.

these type of things do not come out of nowhere and get reported by Reuters, the major papers, CNN etc without someone very high up leaking some discussions.

Fact is it makes sense for both Palm and Dell. Palm is not allowed to borrow any more money. It is constrained from doing so by prior debt agreements. It can't squeeze a nickel out of its equity capitalization. Its cash is very very low for a new handset launch, in terms of supporting marketing from a very bad brand position, and in a down market, and the double costs of both new hardware and new OS support.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I don't think the majority of educated shareholders will allow a buyout just yet.
    That is not how buyouts work
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    This has all been fueled by the press so far. Dell hasn't been making much noise about being interested in it.
    The level of press and serious outlets means some checking with dell was certainly done off the record. Dell would not be making "much noise" as this only pumps the the cost to them
    I thought I recalled reading that before Elevation Partners acquired a large amount of stock, that Palm inserted a sort of "poison-pill" in the way they did their financials in order to prevent them from flat-out being acquired by someone. I could be misremembering, but I'd think that would still be something they'd try and prevent.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Beelvie me with the high level of reporting outlets this is more reliable than anything you have read here about the pre or Palm.

Fact is it makes sense for both Palm and Dell. Palm is not allowed to borrow any more money. It is constrained from doing so by prior debt agreements. It can't squeeze a nickel out of its equity capitalization. Its cash is very very low for a new handset launch, in terms of supporting marketing from a very bad brand position, and in a down market, and the double costs of both new hardware and new OS support.
    Boat load of assumptions in your post.

check this one out

Palm, Inc. F3Q09 (Qtr End 02/27/09) Earnings Call Transcript -- Seeking Alpha

PALM was able to get another 100 million plus by selling 49% of elevation partners share.

While I agree that rumors like this have some truth, but there is enough cash for PALM to launch Pre. Just to give you an example , SPRINT can promote Pre entirely on its own. SPRINT has the cash and workforce to do it.

Your posting shows PALM " as the next chapter 11 , begging every dollar it can" type of company.

I beg to differ, investments folks are not idiots to move the stock from a dollar to 8 bucks in a month time.
    Last edited by gbp; 03/25/2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The level of press and serious outlets means some checking with dell was certainly done off the record.
    Nonsense. I remember the first articles this started appearing in and it was pure speculation on the part of analysts. In the latest one where they actually bothered to get a comment from Dell, they write:

This week, some analysts have also been publicly contemplating an acquisition of Palm Inc. by Dell as a fast track into the phone and mobile device market.

Dell said buying other companies remains an option for expansion into the smartphone market but noted that its acquisitions focus is elsewhere at present.
    Sounds like a vague "we won't rule it out, but we're not interested" brush off to me, and I think the authors agree which is why it's relegated to a last paragraph afterthought in the article instead of being the focus of it.

Also, I don't share your faith in the financial media. I've seen too many articles where the author doesn't know what they're talking about but writes as if they do. Most of them only have a superficial knowledge of each industry. I have a whole big rant on this if you want it, but suffice to say the experience has scared me away from investing in anything other than tech. I wouldn't want to have to rely on their columns for other areas of the economy where I wouldn't know enough to be able to call BS on them, and that's critical after seeing some of their more egregious work. They could be right, and maybe acquisitions talk is more up their alley, but the amount of coverage rumors get does not grant them legitimacy in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Boat load of assumptions in your post.
    That too.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    NI have a whole big rant on this if you want it, but suffice to say the experience has scared me away from investing in anything other than tech. I wouldn't want to have to rely on their columns for other areas of the economy where I wouldn't know enough to be able to call BS on them, and that's critical after seeing some of their more egregious work.
    Sure, I don't believe anything these folks (either the analysts or the media read cnbc ) say.
    Investing in the tech stocks is the way to go if you know about the subject.

Dell is caught in the middle of PC business and mobile handset business.
    They lost the PC king crown to HP. They don't have a handset.

Now they are seeing the likes of APPLE are taking away their revenues by the phones and music players ( not to mention a small percent of computers too).

Their server business model is at the mercy of Microsoft.

It might be a good strategy , but Mr.Dell has to pay a premium ( I mean premium) over the current 8 bucks. Plus he has to make sure the like of Ruby,Fred , Ed and the other APPLE mercenaries (not to belittle them )
    stay after acquisition.

Its wishful thinking on the part of few jobless empty wallstreeters with vested interest in either DELL or PALM ( assuming they got it at 3-4 dollar range).
    Well keep in mind I'm not even commenting on whether it would be a good idea for Dell or not. Maybe it would be, maybe it wouldn't. My point is that thus far it has been driven by analysts writing about how they think it would be a good idea rather than anything prompted by Dell. My secondary point in response to Aero is that just because media outlets are repeating the rumor doesn't mean you should assume they have additional background information to support it. I don't hold them in high enough regard to make that kind of leap. I'll also point out that they aren't always wrong or clueless, but the times they were have been truly frightening.
    Last edited by GregV; 03/24/2009 at 11:07 PM.
    That would be like HP buying Digital (anybody remember them?) and killing it off... or HP buying Compaq and killing it off... or closer home, Access buying PalmOS and killing it off... or something like that.

Dell should probably stick to what it knows and does best. If Dell was really interested, it should license WebOS and/ or probably commission Palm to develop handsets specially for it. Palm should not sell-out to somebody who probably has no interest in or appreciation of the mobile business.
    I'm salivating at the thought of an Adamo style 10" webOS tablet. Now that would be perfect!!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

you guys need to just get used to aero's posts. But i am sure inside he is a real nice guy!
    Don't know about you but i don't want webOS on a tablet. I wouldn't want the iphone OS on a tablet. Now i would take windows 7. Leave the mobile OS's where they're at.

Personally, the only good thing i'd see from Dell wanting in this market is that its young, lots of space to grow, and that it could complement what they could offer businesses. I'm also thinking they could sell netbooks through carriers like Sprint probably for free if subsidized right.

Rather than spending millions developing prototype smartphones (and they may have since they're getting rejected), if Dell is really serious then it would make sense to gobble up someone like a palm. What's palm worth? Couple of billion? If i was Dell and could keep palm's key players in place, i'd do it in a heartbeat. And then really turn webOS into an ecosystem.

Dude, you're getting a Pre! LOL..hey it beats whatever else palm has done for marketing.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    What would be good about Dell buying out Palm is that it would make it a similar operation like Apple. Dell could leverage its PC capitol and use it for Palm and their phones. Just like Apple used its Mac money to start up the iPhone.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Don't know about you but i don't want webOS on a tablet. I wouldn't want the iphone OS on a tablet. Now i would take windows 7. Leave the mobile OS's where they're at.

Personally, the only good thing i'd see from Dell wanting in this market is that its young, lots of space to grow, and that it could complement what they could offer businesses. I'm also thinking they could sell netbooks through carriers like Sprint probably for free if subsidized right.

Rather than spending millions developing prototype smartphones (and they may have since they're getting rejected), if Dell is really serious then it would make sense to gobble up someone like a palm. What's palm worth? Couple of billion? If i was Dell and could keep palm's key players in place, i'd do it in a heartbeat. And then really turn webOS into an ecosystem.

Dude, you're getting a Pre! LOL..hey it beats whatever else palm has done for marketing.
    heh
    I am actually banking on the possibility of WebOS running on a tablet. I don't see why it wouldn't scale fine to that format.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    heh
    I am actually banking on the possibility of WebOS running on a tablet. I don't see why it wouldn't scale fine to that format.
    I'm with cardfan on this... a WebOS tablet would be a useless device (famous last words, you heard it here first). You'd expect to carry a Pre-like mobile phone, a WebOS tablet (for what?), and a laptop? You'd still want a laptop (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) to get work done.

The main problem is lack of business apps for WebOS. In the distant future, you'd probably (no, make that "you will") see that happen. And for that WebOS is all set to be tomorrow's Windows.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I'm with cardfan on this... a WebOS tablet would be a useless device (famous last words, you heard it here first). You'd expect to carry a Pre-like mobile phone, a WebOS tablet (for what?), and a laptop? You'd still want a laptop (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) to get work done.

The main problem is lack of business apps for WebOS. In the distant future, you'd probably (no, make that "you will") see that happen. And for that WebOS is all set to be tomorrow's Windows.
    So, you really can't see how the WebOS interface wouldn't lend itself to a tablet format?

Interesting. I, personally, see the whole Card paradigm working brilliantly in the tablet space.

Think about this. If you are holding a tablet in your hand, which is a more natural way of working? shuffling and flicking and moving? Or Clicking windows, scrolling using bars, and clicking on Xs?
    to me, it makes more sense to use a tablet like, well a tablet......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast