Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @solar_plexus

I was looking at WOS purely from the applications availablity and not from the UI point-of-view. The WOS flicking interface would surely be better than the idiotic WindowsCE interface (which is, in-fact, a combination of the world's worst - Windows and Symbian).

It won't be long before somebody writes a WOS-like shell for Windows 7 (surely, Vista will be gone by the time that happens.) We already have TealOS reducing the charm and excitement of WOS with each passing day.

Once somebody does it for the iPhone, WOS is done.

- mvk
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    @solar_plexus

I was looking at WOS purely from the applications availablity and not from the UI point-of-view. The WOS flicking interface would surely be better than the idiotic WindowsCE interface (which is, in-fact, a combination of the world's worst - Windows and Symbian).

It won't be long before somebody writes a WOS-like shell for Windows 7 (surely, Vista will be gone by the time that happens.) We already have TealOS reducing the charm and excitement of WOS with each passing day.

Once somebody does it for the iPhone, WOS is done.

- mvk
    What?

TealOS is a launcher that got some attention for a day or so, and has quickly been forgotten by everyone except some diehard PalmOS users. If you go to the front page of, say, Engadget, you will see in the top right-hand corner semi-permanent links to the stories their readers care about most now. Their feature "Palm Pre: The Full Story" has been there pretty much since January. It now shares space with a feature on iPhone 3.0 despite no significant new news for two months now. Their story and hands-on with TealOS sank away into oblivion shortly after publishing. Hardly a reduction in charm and excitement.

My personal experience was quite similar. I installed it, chuckled at the admirable-yet-pixelated mess, and then quickly went back to Ultimate Phone.

And it would be comedy to slap WebOS functionality on an iPhone. Apple doesn't allow skinning, so it'd have to be an app that could only be run on jailbroken phones (Not only would Apple not accept it in the App store, but Palm would sue them if they did) and would have to be launched separately. So here you have an app that most iPhone users couldn't use, the rest may or may not actually WANT to use, nobody could advertise for, and it would have maybe 20-30 percent of the ACTUAL WebOS functionality while killing the iPhone battery at the same time.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Dude, you're getting a Pre! LOL..hey it beats whatever else palm has done for marketing.

Sounds like a killer ad !!!!.

And if Dell manage to keep the PALM team its a good bet.
    As someone who uses a tablet day to day, I agree that WebOS on it would be a waste. With absolutely no handwriting recognition in WebOS, you'd be stuck with an on-screen keyboard, not nearly as fast. (I know that keyboards are faster than writing, but not an on-screen keyboard).

Besides that, if you want to flick on the screen to switch apps, you can already do that. Just set a left flick to the Alt-Shift-Tab shortcut, and a right flick to the Alt-Tab shortcut. Flicking up and down defaults to scrolling up and down, and in Windows 7 with the right drivers on my tablet, everything supports grabbing and dragging just in the regular Window to scroll.

Honestly I couldn't see using anything BUT Windows on a tablet, since nothing compares yet. (Never used XP Tablet edition, but with Vista and now Windows 7, it's amazing. It recognizes writing that I can't even read sometimes.)

To get back on topic though, I think this is all BS anyway.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Last I checked they got about 19 billion market cap
    and
    about 7 billion cash + equivalents.
    compare that with 800 million or so market cap for PALM and 170 million cash and equivalents.

If ever Dell wants to get back the mojo, this is one way to do it.

All out stock swap is not a bad option.
    The key is to let PALM continue to do with the existing team.
    I bet DELL can recover and can make some money in two years.
    Last edited by gbp; 03/25/2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I'm with cardfan on this... a WebOS tablet would be a useless device (famous last words, you heard it here first). You'd expect to carry a Pre-like mobile phone, a WebOS tablet (for what?), and a laptop? You'd still want a laptop (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) to get work done.

The main problem is lack of business apps for WebOS. In the distant future, you'd probably (no, make that "you will") see that happen. And for that WebOS is all set to be tomorrow's Windows.
    I just want a tablet for round the house. You know browsing from the couch, maybe even put infrared back into a device make it a universal remote. I'm not looking for business apps on this particular device. But something that might hold the family recipes, control iTunes (like my iTouch), browse photos, watch streaming movies from my readynas, look up the whitepages........ Instant on without getting out my work laptop (better form factor palm are good at that).

I don't think the market has grasped the number of users there would be for this kind of device.

Surely all of the people replying to posts on this board are not doing so from work / on a work PC?

I don't think you would need a hardware keyboard for this type of device. Although handwriting recognition might be a nice to have, onscreen keys wouldn't be that bad.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

It'd be cool financially if Dell grabs Palm, but I think it makes for a better story for Palm to "make it on its own" and defy a lot of the skeptics who gave them no chance to climb back into this competitive market.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Surely all of the people replying to posts on this board are not doing so from work / on a work PC?
    No, no, of course not! Perish the thought!
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post

Well, either the folks are not working or carrying two computers ( one personal and one business).
    What about the time they are spending posting to the forums ?
    I am counting mine and adding to my 8 hour day
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I would NEVER check out treocentral while I am at work.
    treocentral is my work homepage when I first log in. I check the forums before my email LOL jk. No really. It's my homepage
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Boat load of assumptions in your post.
    NO I stated two facts, and they stand. Palm is legally constrained from raising any more debt. that is a fact and widely reported. it was part of the agreement in their last debt restructure.

Palm cannot raise any more money in the equity market after jiucing teir last remaining option ro remaket.

Please don't call facts assumptions
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Its cash is very very low for a new handset launchs
    This is an assumption,Do you know about how much cash they need for the launch ?
    And what does very very low refers to ?
    Keep in mind that Ed Colligan said they have enough money and resources to launch Pre.
    I am not nitpicking the words but "Enough" cannot be "very very low".

Plus the notion that the where there's smoke there is fire regarding the rumors, is a big assumption. You assumed the big media knows something.

Hey you might be right , but I won't trust the finance media.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Keep in mind that Ed Colligan said they have enough money and resources to launch Pre.
    Lol. What else would he say? It is right out of orwell. It is obviously profoundly low amount of cash to support marketing and product support and ongoing development of a new OS, brand rehabilitation and new hardware.

My ppoint was you claimed I was making assumptions.
    1) it is not an assumption that Palm is tapped out on credit markets. they are specifically constrained with agreements from current debt holders from the last time they restructured debt.
    2) They already used a last ditch method to wring the last bit of cash out of their equity. that is it there.
    3) their current cash burn is extremely high ration to cash.
    4) product launches of this type burn huge amounts of cash even in good market conditions.

The reporting in the serious financial press about dell is serious. Does it make it a sure thing? no. does it mean Palm and Dell probably discuses this? Yes. Otherwise you would see direct denials
    Even with low cash reserves - both Sprint and Palm are desperate companies and both NEED this product to succeed. Because of this expect cooperation on launch that you haven't seen since the Instinct.

It'll be a well publicized, well organized, strong launch. It can't be any other way unless both Palm and Sprint want to go under.
    Dell would certainly bring things to the table, but personally I hope this never becomes more then talk. I dont think Dell is a very good fit culturally for the 'new Palm'.

Dell just doent have the creative drive and vision to work well with Palm in my opinion. Look at their attempts to enter the mp3 player, PDA, CE markets. They all failed because of intensely boring products that Dell couldnt figure out how to market.

Dell's strengths are in supply chain management and squeezing their suppliers. Kinda like an electronics only wal mart. Their attempts at being creative or designing and marketing new, unique products have been laughable. Look at the reception their latest smartphone is getting from the carriers.

I think Dell would kill everything we like about the 'new Palm' regardless of how much money they bring to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Dell would certainly bring things to the table, but personally I hope this never becomes more then talk. I dont think Dell is a very good fit culturally for the 'new Palm'.

Dell just doent have the creative drive and vision to work well with Palm in my opinion. Look at their attempts to enter the mp3 player, PDA, CE markets. They all failed because of intensely boring products that Dell couldnt figure out how to market.

Dell's strengths are in supply chain management and squeezing their suppliers. Kinda like an electronics only wal mart. Their attempts at being creative or designing and marketing new, unique products have been laughable. Look at the reception their latest smartphone is getting from the carriers.

I think Dell would kill everything we like about the 'new Palm' regardless of how much money they bring to the table.
    I think you are hitting it on the head. Plus Apple people hate Dell and I'm sure they would jump ship from Palm if Dell bought them. I would *gag* almost rather have MS buy Palm. Though, they suck pretty hard-core too.

The "new" Palm should stay "new" Palm. They are small and smart enough to compete against Apple.
    Dell + Palm = Doom (for Palm). It'll be just like when 3COM bought Palm Computing back in 1997, stifling innovation, and forcing Jeff, Donna, and Ed to depart and form Handspring (which eventually brought us the Treo). Unfortunately, I don't see the "young turk" innovators at Palm (because they don't exist) overcoming the innovation-crushing, bland-quality, low-margin culture over at Dell. Consequently, what we know as Palm today will either succumb to the Dell way of doing business or they will simply go away - either way, you won't see a new Handspring-like entity rising from the ashes this time.
    Kupe, bryan,
    You make excellent and compelling points on corporate culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Kupe, bryan,
    You make excellent and compelling points on corporate culture.
    +1

still want my tablet though!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast