1.    #1  
    Palm's Secret Weapon for the Pre - BusinessWeek

More hype, too bad not much new.
    Good, interesting article with some more personal insight into where Palm is. That was a good read.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Good read. I like hearing about "How it all began" type of stuff.
    Someone was wondering before whether Epocrates was going to be on the Pre. This doesn't confirm that it will be, but it does show they were one of the developers courted early. Intuit too, though I use SplashMoney instead, and they seem to be on board judging by the last photo here.

It's good to see further confirmation of developer enthusiasm for the platform. There was one article on Ars a while back but nothing since. This bodes well for Palm.

In a separate Businessweek article mostly about the iPhone, we get this:

Sprint and Palm plan to advertise the device with a comprehensive, expensive campaign. "We'll spend heavily, and we will be aggressive," says Trevor Van Norman, a senior manager at Sprint. "We certainly think the device is a switcher device, we'll go after AT&T and Verizon Wireless."
    I never doubted they would both go all out on this launch, but some were worried about their financial ability to do so. They both seem committed to spending the money needed to make a big splash.

Also good to know that Elevation thinks the stock could go to $20 (!) over time. I have my doubts it would get that high, but suffice to say that would make me very happy if it did
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Someone was wondering before whether Epocrates was going to be on the Pre. This doesn't confirm that it will be, but it does show they were one of the developers courted early. Intuit too, though I use SplashMoney instead, and they seem to be on board judging by the last photo here.
    From this post, it seems like Epocrates is confirmed to be on the Pre.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-ceo-e...-pre-investors

As far as applications go, Colligan said that there are a few they feel they need to have at launch. Specifically, he mentioned Epocrates, a great medical app.
    Sold some clients on palm before webOS. They're pretty excited about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    More hype, too bad not much new.
    Yeah, not much new, but it's put together in a great way. Excellent read, thanks for the link. Made me excited all over again.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Shame on PALM and SPRINT for keeping it too long.
    If they invited folks from pandor to preview the WebOS in November , hmmmm thats a long long long time back.
    They should have released the phone by now.

I hope Ruby will rub some of that APPLE sauce on PALM trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Shame on PALM and SPRINT for keeping it too long.
    If they invited folks from pandor to preview the WebOS in November , hmmmm thats a long long long time back.
    They should have released the phone by now.

I hope Ruby will rub some of that APPLE sauce on PALM trees.
    Dude, you must cut them some slack. Let's say November was their first real prototype. Getting the phone released by June would be a huge accomplishment. Consider: it has to go through testing (both software and hardware), has to have fixes applied, and then some more testing. People have to run the phone for some period of time. Then, once they're satisfied with it, it has to go through Sprint testing, and FCC testing, have more fixes applied, etc. Then they have to manufacture it! Probably there are bugs to work out in manufacturing. Meanwhile, an entirely new business strategy, marketing effort (for both Palm and Sprint--coordinated), pricing scheme, all have to be produced.

Keep in mind, the chipset is entirely new to Palm, the capacitive touchscreen is entirely new to Palm, webOS is entirely new to Palm, the form factor is entirely new to Palm...

This is huge, there is a lot of work to do to build an entirely new phone. Oh yes, and they are trying to do this in a severely cost constrained environment.

So come on, cut them some slack. Beat them up in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    They both seem committed to spending the money needed to make a big splash.
    I think we have a situation where BOTH companies NEED the device to do well... it is in both of their best interests for the Palm Pre to "knock it out the box."
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001