Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I have never bought a handset the day it came out. I've never been as excited about a consumer product as I am about the Pre.

So I know NOTHING about Pre-Ordering opposed to going to wait in line at a retail store.

I don't mind waiting a couple of days to receive the device in the mail as opposed to waking up early (The Goat is a bartender... He doesn't do mornings. Even his college classes are at night.), going to Best Buy in San Antonio (Which is 2 hours away), and standing in line. I do have a Sprint Store in my town... But they are franchise, so they may not get the device the day of release (I don't know how franchise stores are as opposed to corporate... But the one in my town seems pretty half-asleep). If I find out that they will get the device the day of release then I suppose I can go there. If not, I will be extremely jealous of you all for a couple of days, but am willing to deal with it until it arrives in the mail.

If I Pre-Order the device online, what is the time frame that I am looking at before the device arrives in the mail? Might I get it before retail stores release it? Do we know anything about this yet? How was the pre-ordering of the Instinct handled? Is there a chance that my Pre-Order may be put on back-order if quantities are limited (If so... I am not going to be willing to take this risk. I'm not going to sit and watch all you guys talk about how awesome your phones are while the Goat cries in a corner in his apartment)? I've already drilled my girlfriend and best friend on what to do if Pre-ordering goes live while I'm at work or school. So I imagine I will be pretty quick to put my order in the second they allow it.

Maybe it is too early to ask this question. Maybe that silly franchise store in my town will get it the day of release. Maybe pre-ordering it will allow us to get the phone a tad earlier than the rest of the world.

If anyone has any idea of how all of this works then please tell me. Because I don't know what I am going to do at this point, and I know how knowledgeable all of you guys are. You will enlighten the Goat in no time at all.

-Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    LOL! if you want it that bad, just preorder it when it's available.

It's the real deal! I've watched enough demo of it, and I really like it.

I am using an unlocked Treo Pro now, and it's a real nice phone. If they come out with an unlocked Pre in the fall, I am sure I'll put my Pro on EBay and buy one.
  3.    #3  
    "Half-Asleep" is a good term for it too I suppose. I need to watch my mouth.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    I'm on the same boat as you Pedro. I really don't want to wait in line and never have before. I actually like ordering online because you pretty much get your order 4-5 days later as opposed to spending hours in line. Also, having that package waiting for you at home is a pleasant surprise. I usually spend the few days waiting for it reading all the reviews from the folks who waited in line at the store
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    I'm on the same boat as you Pedro. I really don't want to wait in line and never have before. I actually like ordering online because you pretty much get your order 4-5 days later as opposed to spending hours in line. Also, having that package waiting for you at home is a pleasant surprise. I usually spend the few days waiting for it reading all the reviews from the folks who waited in line at the store
    Cary, I'm starting to wonder if I could handle those 4 - 5 days. That would almost be maddening. Hopefully that franchise store will get it on the actual release day. No one in this town knows anything about the Pre. So I'll be in the good I suppose. Yeah, the Pre's release is starting to seem like Christmas as a child to me. I don't think I'll go as far as to drive to San Antonio. That's just too much drama for me. So the franchise store is my last bet. Otherwise me and you can just grind our jaws and threaten the mail man.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Pedro - run for Mayor of Kerrville and use your perks to get exclusive access to all the latest stuff. LOL
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Pedro - run for Mayor of Kerrville and use your perks to get exclusive access to all the latest stuff. LOL
    HAW! I'd get the latest and greatest as far as all hunting accessories and chewing tobacco goes... Other than that, my influence probably won't get me too far.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    When the 650 came out, I didn't get it for a solid month after it was released in stores. I preordered it through some developer program at Palm rather than from Sprint, so maybe Sprint would handle it better, but I'll be taking my chances at my local Sprint store thankyouverymuch. I'll just call ahead the day before to make sure they're going to have it.
    i've never pre ordered any opf the treos i've owned (600, 650, 700P, Centro). I;ve always called the day they start selling or a fe wdays later and order the phone. I recall them arriving about a week later (except centro i bought in best buy)

Unless you are looking to be the first person to get the phone, I think waiting to order via sprint the day of release would work just fine.

one catch: if the hype on this phone grows from these boards to every where (like Facebook, Good morning america, and more common news outlets) get ready for a phone shortage.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I am not sure on how I will get it either, whether to get it when it comes out or wait a bit to see how people like it and see the bugs.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Pedro, if you're thinking about it this much then you should resign yourself to driving to San Antonio. You're telling me that you will write dozens if not hundreds of messages about the Pre but you won't get up at 8am and drive to a Best Buy or Sprint store? I really don't think you will have to get in line to get one. Just make sure you can really can get one before making the trip.
    Last edited by StatCoder; 03/23/2009 at 11:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    So I know NOTHING about Pre-Ordering opposed to going to wait in line at a retail store.

If I Pre-Order the device online, what is the time frame that I am looking at before the device arrives in the mail? Might I get it before retail stores release it? Do we know anything about this yet? How was the pre-ordering of the Instinct handled? Is there a chance that my Pre-Order may be put on back-order if quantities are limited (If so... I am not going to be willing to take this risk. I'm not going to sit and watch all you guys talk about how awesome your phones are while the Goat cries in a corner in his apartment)?
    Well, Pedro... I can't honestly say I know how Sprint/Palm is going to handle this release... as we all know they've both been ridiculously tight-lipped. But, I can tell you about the Instinct launch (I even went into my archived emails to get the dates for you so I could be as accurate as possible)...

When Sprint announced the Samsung Instinct, they also launched a "Coming Soon" page w/ a notification sign-up much like they did with the Palm Pre during CES. Being excited about the Instinct (and foolishly hoping that a non-smartphone could cure my techno-lust) I signed up on day one when the Instinct was announced. Then on 5/22/08 about a month before the Instinct was launched I got a "Coming Soon" email from Sprint telling me that the Instinct would be out in a month (I think this is when they finalized the release info... The Instinct was scheduled for a Friday release on 6/20/08). Finally I got the best email on 06/18/08. It said:
    "INSTINCT - You are invited to the exclusive private screening. Get your hands on the Samsung Instinct one day before anyone else. Just print this email and bring it to your Sprint store on 6/19/08"
    Pretty cool huh?

So, of course I immediately tried going to the Sprint Store on 6/18/08 just to see if I could get even a sneak peak, at the phone I was supposed to be able to buy the next day. Unfortunately I went to the Sprint kiosk (which I think is a franchise, owned by Radio Shack) in my local mall. Big mistake. The manager (who I actually knew personally, and trust as a good source of info) wasn't working that evening, and the employees that were working, were totally clueless, and didn't believe me when I told them about the email (I should have printed it and brought it with me)...

The next day (6/19/08) I printed the email, and went in to the local Sprint Corporate Store. They were of course happy to see me, and to sell me an Instinct (once they saw the email proving I qualified for the early release), and of course upgrade me to the Everything Plan that was initially required for the Instinct (although later, that requirement was relaxed).

Here are a couple other quick tidbits:
    >> The Instinct sold FAST (granted I was told that even the Sprint corporate store only had 12 Intincts in stock for release day... let's hope they stock more for the Palm Pre), all of their initial allocation were sold to pre-release customers...
    >> When chatting w/ the folks at the corporate store, I heard about one guy who had found out about the early release online (but wasn't signed up for the emails), went into the store only to be turned away (no email = no early Instinct), went home & signed up for the emails, got sent a "pre-release email" that same day, and then returned email in hand later that afternoon and bought his Instinct.
    >> When I visited my aquaintance who was the manager of the Sprint kiosk later on, she told me that I should have come to her on 6/19/08, and that yes, they would have honored the early release email. In fact, because so many people went to the Sprint corporate store (thinking that they had to go there for the early release) her kiosk actually didn't sell out until a few days later (although she definitely did sell out that weekend).

Now, will the release of the Palm Pre be anything like this? I have NO idea. The hype surrounding the Pre is definitely MUCH higher than the hype for the Instinct. However, I'd really like to think that Sprint learned something from the Instinct release. Dan Hesse has already hinted that one thing that is slowing the release of the Pre is the manufacturing and stocking of a sufficient quantity for launch day (although who knows if Sprint's idea of "enough" will actually be enough).

I hope this helps...
    I deal with a business rep so he just orders the phone as soon as it's available, and it arrives on the doorstep three days later. I've pointed individuals to him, and they've received the same treatment. So maybe trying to find a business rep to take care of you would do the trick. I only deal with stores when I have problems, and only full service ones at that.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I got the Instinct three days before it was officially released. I called the Sprint stores in my town and got on a call list. The store I got the phone from was a franchise store. They called me the day they got them. It was nice.
    Just call the stores around and get on the call list.
    I'm not calling anyone or getting on any call list. I expect to be able to order online or play things by ear.
    I say get on as many risk-less "wait"/"call" lists as possible. Barring getting a device from a place on a list w/o waiting in line, order on-line.

To get my Storm on launch day, I left a $50 fully refundable deposit at Best Buy and got on a couple of "waitlists" and "call" lists. On launch day I had the ability to buy two devices. I went with Circuit City because they were a VZW store w/in a store and I could get my corp discount on the spot. I got my $50 back from Best Buy and they sold the phone to the next guy on the list.

Other than VZW's botched computer problems, I did not have to wait in line at all since I did not intend to do that for a phone.
    I wouldn't give any electronics retailer any kind of deposit, especially, if they are going to keep it for weeks. If they go bankrupt, then you may just end up being a creditor and never get your money back. Circuit City is a good example. Chances are that by monitoring this forum you will know more about when the phones will be coming in than many of the store employees.
  18.    #18  
    StatCoder » You have a point. I may ask off work once a firm release date is announced.

WMickie » Wow. Your info is exactely what I needed. Thank you for recalling all that for me. I'm starting to think the franchise store may get the phone on release day.

Balla » That is great news. I'm going to head down to the franchise store and talk to my friend to see if he will get it on time.

Thanks all. Nearly all of my questions were answered. I think it will put my money on the franchise store. I know the guy who manages it pretty well. So I'll sweet talk him into calling me first when he gets them in. I'll buy him a beer or something.
    I been for Sprint for over 10 years, a premier customer. Trust me, I have spent a fortune with Sprint.

You mean I can't do like I always have done in the past. I call up Sprint the day it comes out, talk to a Supervisor/retention, they give me a great discount and send me the phone out right away.

I hate going to the corporate stores or Best Buy because you can never get the discount you want like you could calling direct.

So my question is, are only the corporate stores and Best Buy getting the PRE first, or can you call directly to Sprint to get the PRE? Will they have it day one?

Does anyone really know or our we just playing the guessing game?
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I been for Sprint for over 10 years, a premier customer. Trust me, I have spent a fortune with Sprint. You mean I can't do like I always have done in the past. I call up Sprint the day it comes out, talk to a Supervisor/retention, they give me a great discount and send me the phone out right away. I hate going to the corporate stores or Best Buy because you can never get the discount you want like you could calling direct. So my question is, are only the corporate stores and Best Buy getting the PRE first, or can you call directly to Sprint to get the PRE? Will they have it day one? Does anyone really know or our we just playing the guessing game?
    Telesales should have the Palm Pre phone available at the same time the Sprint stores and Best Buy does. I'm cutious, though...what do you tell supervisors/retentions to get a 'great discount' on a new phone?
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast