Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Will the GPS program on the Pre give latitude/longitude coordinates?

Thanks, Justin
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    yes, there's an api for that. it's only a few lines of code in an app to get the coordinates of your location.
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    yes, there's an api for that. it's only a few lines of code in an app to get the coordinates of your location.
    You seem to know more than most. Can you confirm that the Pre GPS will operate stand alone (without a phone connection).
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You seem to know more than most. Can you confirm that the Pre GPS will operate stand alone (without a phone connection).
    Are you asking if the GPS receiver can operate without a phone connection or if any supplied mapping software can operate without a phone connection? Sometimes people equate the GPS receiver with the software that uses that receiver.
    Sprint's telenav relies on a connection to download map info so the only way it would operate standalone would be with 3rd party software. Sound correct?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Sprint's telenav relies on a connection to download map info so the only way it would operate standalone would be with 3rd party software. Sound correct?
    Agreed. But there are those who have suggested that it may not operate at all without the aGPS (cell tower) input.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    yes but there are for other platforms scores of free applications and scores more of cheap applications that allow you exploit location for simple things like geotagging, placing coordinates on pictures you take, simple compass and location software,etc.

I very much doubt that navigon, tomtom or grmin would make full software for the pre like you can get on WM for a very VERY long time a variety of reasons.
    [if you are interested in reasons why they won't make it for Pre, they include, a) the fact that some of this software was created long ago for windows WinCE shells anyway, b) the fact that there are 50 million wm units, and c) the fact that pre will include telnav as part of their plan for most users which reduces potential demand already small form the tiny relative number of web os that will be sold in the next 18 months).

But there are still some very useful exploits /cheap or free gps programs that can be made or adapted for the Pre. For thos exploits and progras the question will be:
    1) can you get the data off with the api or otherwise? and the answer is: probably, almost certainly, yes.
    2) will the gps work off network, ie, is it standalone gps, and the answer is: not known
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Are you asking if the GPS receiver can operate without a phone connection or if any supplied mapping software can operate without a phone connection? Sometimes people equate the GPS receiver with the software that uses that receiver.
    DUDE!!!!!!!!!

thank you

There's a lengthy discussion on this topic already, can't post the link because my post count is under 10.

Search for: Does the Pre have true Standalone GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by mencho View Post
    There's a lengthy discussion on this topic already, can't post the link because my post count is under 10.

Search for: Does the Pre have true Standalone GPS?
    Not already. This is a resurrected thread from March and the thread that you referred to was started in June.
    You can also go to the phone app and enter ##gps# to get the current gps location.
    Quote Originally Posted by mencho View Post
    Here it is: Does the Pre have true Standalone GPS?

It seems that there's still some controversy as to whether you can get the initial position fix without cell towers, some users apparently can, some can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Here it is: Does the Pre have true Standalone GPS?

It seems that there's still some controversy as to whether you can get the initial position fix without cell towers, some users apparently can, some can't.
    That's because it's difficult to get people to test it properlly. They think they can just go into airplane mode and if ##GPS# reports anything that means standalone GPS exists.

Not true at all. It reports back the last coordinates it ever had when the phone was on.

The only legit way to test it is:

Type ##GPS# and write down what it says.
    Turn on airplane mode and reboot.
    Travel a few miles in any direction.
    Type ##GPS# again and compare coordinates with what you wrote down.
    Ok, I wasn't trying to voice an opinion as to whether the answer is yes or no since I don't have a Pre yet (will in a month or so when I'm eligible for an upgraded phone.) So is it your position that it's not possible?

Also - what's the story behind airplane mode? Are we sure that airplane mode leaves the GPS on? (The GPS is just a receiver, not a transmitter, but some airlines won't let you use a personal GPS on their aircraft anyway.)

I would think a better test (and one more relevant to learning what would happen when you would need a stand-alone GPS) would be to go to a remote place with absolutely no cell or WiFi signal, don't turn on Airplane mode (that is, leave it in standard operating mode), and see whether you get a location fix... assuming you wait long enough.

I understand the need to have a "for sure" standalone GPS so you can compare the position coordinates on the Pre and the other device. And that you need to make sure that your reported location changes as you move around.