1.    #1  
    The reason i ask, is because i'm on t-mobile and i wanna unlock this baby so i can use it on t-mobile or any network. I'm thinking if it does come out in june, it'll maybe take 1-2 months to hack it.... which kinda sucks for me, cuz i was planning to use it on my trip to vietnam/thailand/china around july!
    The first version of the Pre is on Sprint.

Sprint uses CDMA.
    T-Mobile uses GSM.
    CDMA doesn't use SIM cards.
    The radio inside the phone is physically incapable of working on a GSM network.
    They are totally incompatible.

It can never be hacked to work on T-mobile. You have to wait for a GSM version to come out, like in Europe, then you can get it hacked for T-mobile.
    the history of palm show they sell their gsm phone unlock so you don't need to worry about hacking.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Also, keep in mind that T-Mobile'S 3G network runs on 1.7/2.1GHz frequencies. AT&T (the only other US GSM carrier) along with most foreign networks uses 1.9GHz. So a GSM Pre, even an import from Europe or South America would not work on T-Mobile 3G, but only their EDGE service.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

Sprint uses CDMA.
    T-Mobile uses GSM.

It can never be hacked to work on T-mobile. You have to wait for a GSM version to come out, like in Europe, then you can get it hacked for T-mobile.
    First off, i already automatically assumed everyone on this board is smart enough to figure that out! Next it's the same firmware running on different radio stacks!! So once it's out the door we'll have access to the firmware/Linq SQL. Thus enabling the phone to be unlocked!! But again.... i ASSUMED you knew that!!

Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Also, keep in mind that T-Mobile'S 3G network runs on 1.7/2.1GHz frequencies. AT&T (the only other US GSM carrier) along with most foreign networks uses 1.9GHz. So a GSM Pre, even an import from Europe or South America would not work on T-Mobile 3G, but only their EDGE service.
    I'm fully aware of that, i was just curios about what people thought. Like everyone here, i just want this thing out the door so we can start hacking it. As for the frequencies.... South America & Canada run HSDPA at 850 & 1900. At&t runs those exact same frequencies. As evidence by http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/11/t...obal-pre-coup/ But that still leave me in a pickle, cuz i know that t-mobile is on 1700/2100. I'll just wait until my contract is over and switch back to at&t to be able to enjoy the full 3G experience. Let hope apple's new 3.0 update won't kill at&t's network AGAIN!!
    Last edited by crazyazn23; 03/21/2009 at 08:42 PM.
    OP doesn't have a clue.

His initial and subsequent posts prove that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

Sprint uses CDMA.
    T-Mobile uses GSM.

Will the GSM that comes out in Europe be quad band and be able to get the 3g network from AT&T and Tmobile?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Ok OP, you are really good because you wrote "SQL" and "HSPDA".

So to answer youe question again, since the CDMA Pre is not coming out until atleast a couple of months, I can guarantee you that you will not get the GSM Pre until a few months after that. So yeah, no unlocked GSM Pre for your July trip to South East Asia.

Ciao.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Will the GSM that comes out in Europe be quad band and be able to get the 3g network from AT&T and Tmobile?
    If they are going to sell the same spec and radio model in both South America and Europe, then yes it will work on AT&T here. But not T-Mobile. They have to make a special one for T-Mobile.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Ok OP, you are really good because you wrote "SQL" and "HSPDA"
    SQL is a database computer language SQL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and when did i ever write "HSPDA"? Please get your facts right!.....
    Hi OP. I'm a silly Goat.

But a silly Goat will tell you that a device with a CDMA radio will never work on a GSM network. Has something to do with the radios being completely different. But if you DO happen to get a CDMA device that has no GSM radio to work on a GSM network... Then I'll FedEx you a cookie.

A world phone Pre would be nice. I hope we will see a world Web OS device come pretty quickly. That would be nice.
    Word.

I would love to see a CDMA only phone working on T-mobile. You'd be a famous nerd hero if you could do that.
    I'd love it if there was a multiband (CDMA & GSM) version of the Pre like some of the international phones Sprint carries.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Hi OP. I'm a silly Goat.

But a silly Goat will tell you that a device with a CDMA radio will never work on a GSM network. Has something to do with the radios being completely different. But if you DO happen to get a CDMA device that has no GSM radio to work on a GSM network... Then I'll FedEx you a cookie.

A world phone Pre would be nice. I hope we will see a world Web OS device come pretty quickly. That would be nice.
    When have i EVER state that a CDMA version of the Palm PRE will ever work on a GSM network? I simply state that when the CDMA version comes out we will have access to the firmware, thus allowing us to unlock on both the CDMA version and GSM on there particular network. And if backing up my claims with factual prof makes me an "OP" (obnoxious person)..... Then please continue to call me an "OP". If my statements offends anyone, then i'm sorry. I just hate it when someone doesn't get there FACTS right! It's just plain Ignorance!

P.S. beanis: I believe that verizon's Blackberry Storm is a CDMA/GSM Hybird Blackberry Storm to come in 2 flavors, CDMA/GSM Hybird and GSM only model : Boy Genius Report
    OP = Original Post(er)

I think where some of us are confused is:

Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    The reason i ask, is because i'm on t-mobile and i wanna unlock this baby so i can use it on t-mobile or any network. I'm thinking if it does come out in june, it'll maybe take 1-2 months to hack it.... which kinda sucks for me, cuz i was planning to use it on my trip to vietnam/thailand/china around july!
    Are you asking about unlocking the Sprint Pre?

Or are you asking about unlocking the GSM Pre?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    OP = Original Post(er)

He seems to think the Sprint Pre will have multiband (CDMA & GSM) capabilities like some of the international phones Sprint carries.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $The$ $Sprint$ $Pre$ $will$ $be$ $CDMA$ $only$.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    OP = Original Post(er)

I think where some of us are confused is:

Originally i was speaking about the GSM version.... But by all accounts if you unlock one, you can unlock both version. Both are running the same OS with tweaks to the firmware to support the different radio stacks.(CDMA & GSM) A perfect example of this is the HTC's touch pro. Basically the same hardware, and OS except for the radio chip with antenna. Once they were able to unlock the gsm version, they were able to flash the CDMA version to work on ANY CDMA network. Flash Cell phone to Cricket, Metro PCS, Sprint, Verizon, Alltel
    I think that's what caused the confusion.

Most here, at this time, are discussing their anxiousness for the Release on Sprint.
    And we’re all hoping for a ‘Before June Release’

So when you said you wanted to use it on Tmo, it was no wonder you got some of the replies.

Just an example of how things can be misunderstood in forums. lol

Either way,
    Welcome to TC

Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    It wasn't misunderstood Berd. He wrote in English and I can read English... there is no magical inference translator.
    OP, Either type what you mean or don't type it at all.
    Thanks Pooh.

You obviously understood that crazyazn23 either didn't know how to word his question correctly, or didn't know what he was asking.

Either way this thread has ran it's course.

crazyazn23,
    In the future, try to word your questions more clearly.

Some took the time to reply, thinking they were helping.
    Your first response to their replies shows a little lack of consideration to this new community you've joined:

Quote Originally Posted by crazyazn23 View Post
    First off, i already automatically assumed everyone on this board is smart enough to figure that out! Next it's the same firmware running on different radio stacks!! So once it's out the door we'll have access to the firmware/Linq SQL. Thus enabling the phone to be unlocked!! But again.... i ASSUMED you knew that!!
    There is a good portion of brilliant people here.

Just try and be more specific in your questions.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.