Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    Pardon the ignorance of the question here, but will anything other than a software update have to be done for the Pre to jump up to 4G? Like what is currently in the baltimore and some other areas.
    Not possible. It would have to have a WIMAX radio in it from the start, and Palm would be fools to do that with the current level of wimax coverage in the US.

The Pre does have the current 'best' form of EVDO, Rev A, so it will be slightly faster on the download side and significantly faster to upload then EVDO Rev 0 phones. It will also have significantly lower latencies then EVDO Rev 0 phones.

All that, combined with lots of RAM (256) and a powerful processor will help the browser fly. I expect it to be the fastest mobile browsing experience available, and the demo videos seem to uphold that expectation even in its current unfinished state.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Sure the radio for WiMax is not currently part of Pre Hardware.
    Nevertheless I am hoping (praying) that the browser will be faster than any available browser in the market ( including iPhone).
    Of all the Pre features,browser is the most important one.
    Stability and responsiveness of the browser will be compared with Skyfire,Opera, Safari by many tech media folks;
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    All that, combined with lots of RAM (256) and a powerful processor will help the browser fly.
    ProcessorS (plural) would be even better to offload the graphics rendering to a separate GPU. Does the Pre have a separate GPU?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ProcessorS (plural) would be even better to offload the graphics rendering to a separate GPU. Does the Pre have a separate GPU?
    It just has the one. I couldn't even imagine what two processors would do to battery life!
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    It just has the one. I couldn't even imagine what two processors would do to battery life!
    The new technology for dual core is being cooked by ARM and others.

These are fast processors with low power consumption.

Check this one out.
    ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore - ARM Processor
    Improve it if it's implemented smartly. Making a general CPU share lots of graphics rendering with its other functions is definitely a battery draining activity compared to the CPU/GPU approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Who really cares about a speed test, it's all about how fast a browser feels.
    Totally agree with that. I would be totally satisfied if a phone's browser was just nearly as fast as a desktop version so I could take advantage of the 1 mbps I can currently get.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    The internet might be faster , but the screen size would have been 3.5 inches . It will then match the iPhone inch to inch.
    Also , the rendering of pages is sometimes slow on iPhone.
    I wonder how it is going to be.
    It has just one processor, the TI OMAP 3430, but that processor does include a separate graphics core. From TI's website:

The OMAP3430 processor embeds Imagination Technologies' POWERVR SGX graphics core, and supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG, providing superior graphics performance and advanced user interface capabilities. TI is enabling sophisticated and dynamic images with "smart pixel" technology offered via OpenGL ES 2.0. This unique technology allows each pixel in an image to be programmed individually, giving developers the power to create rich effects with cinematic realism. Users will now experience "life-like" facial features, advanced reflection effects and multi-textured backgrounds in the mobile environment.
    So this will provide some nice benefits, and is probably a big reason why the graphics on the Pre appear so snappy in the demo videos. It will also make the Pre an awesome 3D gaming system if Palm eventually opens up the APIs to allow programmers to make use of these capabilities.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Internet speed of a 3G phone is mostly bottlenecked by the phones CPU and rendering speed of web pages, not the network itself.

All you have to do is tether a phone to a real computer to prove this.
    Is there any word regarding tethering the Pre? I need to cut costs and would love to lose Comcast internet. I figure when I'm home I could tether my Pre to my Mac. That would be sweet
    I have read somewhere that it has basically been confirmed (but not 100%) that it can tether through bluetooth.

I'm not terribly worried about it though. Someone will develop an app that will do it if it doesn't out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Is there any word regarding tethering the Pre? I need to cut costs and would love to lose Comcast internet. I figure when I'm home I could tether my Pre to my Mac. That would be sweet
    You probably don't want to do that--all the major carriers put caps on their tethering, I think Sprint's is 5 GB per month. They really don't want to be your full time ISP.
    I don't know if this has been said, I've been scimming through

It will be great to have flash on the Pre because conceivably you will be able to go to such websites as Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and test your internet connection. The website will have already loaded so you will be seeing the raw speed of the evdo rev A. I can't wait. Pre is that contender that breaks world records and makes iPhone developers really try hard to make a stronger device. Competition is a good thing!

As an aside I love iPhags who try to knock the pre. Seems as tho I know more about there phone than they even do. "What's a jailbreak?"
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You probably don't want to do that--all the major carriers put caps on their tethering, I think Sprint's is 5 GB per month. They really don't want to be your full time ISP.
    Sprint explicitly limits their Data card and Phone As Modem plans to 5gb. I have not seen any contractual language limiting normal phone data plans to a similar amount. Have you?
    Aren't the demos on most of the videos using a wi-fi connection, as opposed to a cell connection? Sure, theoretically, the Pre should be faster, but a lot depends on signal strength and size and complexity of the webpages. Mobile sites on my Verizon Centro, like CNN, will put up very fast, usually about 2-3 seconds per page. I can't expect much more than that. Of course, who knows when the Pre will come to Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Aren't the demos on most of the videos using a wi-fi connection, as opposed to a cell connection? Sure, theoretically, the Pre should be faster, but a lot depends on signal strength and size and complexity of the webpages. Mobile sites on my Verizon Centro, like CNN, will put up very fast, usually about 2-3 seconds per page. I can't expect much more than that. Of course, who knows when the Pre will come to Verizon.
    But there's a big difference between loading a mobile site and loading the real deal. Once you have the Pre, you won't want to be looking at some limited dorky little mobile wap version of a website. Sprints 3g is fast enough, it's just a matter of the phone's cpu and the browser getting their act together to render all that stuff as fast as it comes in. You can tell the difference in speed between my Sprint Touch and my friends Sprint Touch Diamond. The faster cpu in the Diamond renders websites using the same Opera Mobile 9.5 on both phones noticably faster than on my Touch.
    Not true at all. A lot of my surfing is for specific information or to do specific things. If I'm viewing full pages I have to scroll and zoom to navigate around. Mobile sites give you the basics and let you accomplish your task quicker because it's formatted for the smaller screen. Get in and out in the least time possible. I don't need graphics for things I need to do. That's more for things I want to do or when I have time to just browse around.
    But there's a big difference between loading a mobile site and loading the real deal. Once you have the Pre, you won't want to be looking at some limited dorky little mobile wap version of a website. Sprints 3g is fast enough, it's just a matter of the phone's cpu and the browser getting their act together to render all that stuff as fast as it comes in. You can tell the difference in speed between my Sprint Touch and my friends Sprint Touch Diamond. The faster cpu in the Diamond renders websites using the same Opera Mobile 9.5 on both phones noticably faster than on my Touch.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  18.    #38  
    It really is a matter of individual needs.

For me, there are websites whose mobile versions offer all I need. There are also sites whose mobile versions are so streamlined that it takes too many clicks to accomplish what I want - assuming I can do it at all.

I want the Pre so that I can access all the sites that are "too large to display/load" on my 755p. Sadly, that includes ebay's search results, among other things.

I love my 755p, but it's 2009. There are certain limitations I'm ready to transcend.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Not true at all. A lot of my surfing is for specific information or to do specific things. If I'm viewing full pages I have to scroll and zoom to navigate around. Mobile sites give you the basics and let you accomplish your task quicker because it's formatted for the smaller screen. Get in and out in the least time possible. I don't need graphics for things I need to do. That's more for things I want to do or when I have time to just browse around.
    There is no right or wrong here, but you tend to like to disagree with me even when I state an opinion. Personally, I don't want to look at the wap version of a site, knowing full well that my phone is capable of giving me the desktop experience. Either way, that's my opinion.
  20.    #40  
    There is no right or wrong here, but you tend to like to disagree with me even when I state an opinion. Personally, I don't want to look at the wap version of a site, knowing full well that my phone is capable of giving me the desktop experience. Either way, that's my opinion.
    For what it's worth, when you said "you won't want to be looking at some limited dorky little mobile wap version of a website" you didn't seem to be talking about your own personal preference.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast