1.    #1  
    i would like to see a Pre WIFI Sync with Outlook/Palm Desktop in addition to USB Wire Sync, EAS and Google, FB, etc. "Cloud" Sync options.

anybody else interested in a FAST WIFI Sync with your PC? and give me the option to do it directly with my PC WIFI to WIFI and also via the Internet assuming my PC is on and i'm remote.

this doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do or asking for too much.

i really think that this would be a killer standard feature.
    I'm just interested in having a PC sync at all considering i've heard no details about it.

The wifi sync would be ok especially as it sits on the Touchstone.

And just as a rant (again), what i hate is that they can't tell us any details like this yet. Screw release date & price, but its this kind of stuff i'm curious about.
    Last edited by cardfan; 03/21/2009 at 09:18 AM.
    What would you sync? If you leave your computer connected via wi-fi and you go out and run into another hotspot, how is that hotspot different from the always on 3g network except a little faster? Are you going to be changing stuff SO fast on your Pre that 3g won't be fast enough for the data entry that you're doing? Why shouldn't your Pre sync with your PC when the document.onkeyup() or document.onmouseup() event fires?

I think you're missing the point though, the idea is that you don't have to sync, because it's already done. I know it's going to take a little getting used to from the old days where your portable device wouldn't be connected all the time, and your data wasn't always connected to the network either, but now, unless you leave you computer off for days, and the cloud should be down as well, then the point of you asking the Pre to sync with something would be redundant because it would've synced already.

Doesn't matter what you want to sync, it's already done.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I would like to see my music synced with iTunes, or alternatively with the music folder on my pc.
    or how about syncing you Splash ID data or other sensitive information you don't want stored in the "Cloud" (this is how I do it on the iPhone). As for the difficulty in doing this, I think it would be very difficult for a 3rd party developer to have to do this on their own with Javascript.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    What would you sync? If you leave your computer connected via wi-fi and you go out and run into another hotspot, how is that hotspot different from the always on 3g network except a little faster? Are you going to be changing stuff SO fast on your Pre that 3g won't be fast enough for the data entry that you're doing? Why shouldn't your Pre sync with your PC when the document.onkeyup() or document.onmouseup() event fires?

I think you're missing the point though, the idea is that you don't have to sync, because it's already done. I know it's going to take a little getting used to from the old days where your portable device wouldn't be connected all the time, and your data wasn't always connected to the network either, but now, unless you leave you computer off for days, and the cloud should be down as well, then the point of you asking the Pre to sync with something would be redundant because it would've synced already.

i want to sync my PIM data and documents and files to my local effing PC. LOCAL Outlook/Palm Desktop and Docs to Go etc. i don't want to be use the cloud.

i want to sync exactly how i am now but instead of a USB cable, i want to sync via Pre WIFI-->PC WIFI *AND/OR* Pre WIFI-->Internet-->PC WIFI.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post

As Gekko said, it's not how the sync is done, but what it syncs up to; for me, too, this is a deal-breaker - if the Pre will sync only with the cloud, and not with my PC, then it's nearly useless to me, or at least it's half-blind. I don't create my docs or maintain my calendar in Google - they're on my PC. In many cases, I start docs on my Treo, and sync them with my PC, often going back to further expand them on the Treo (hey, I like the keyboard! What can I say?), and I have no intention of putting these docs out where they can be possibly accessed on the 'net. Colligan was wrong about me, and many like me, in his Pre-sentation when he said that our PCs are not out definitive data sources - mine most definitely is, and the rest of the cloud only lives to serve my desktop, not vice-versa.
    If my PC is part of the cloud, and it is when its on, that's the only cloud i want to sync to.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I have no doubt in my mind that a PC syncing app will be out shortly after launch. I will be using the cloud as all of my contacts are on Gmail, but they would be alienating a large group of people who don't want/trust the cloud.