Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    if I was an investor in Palm stock, a speculator in Palm options, an owner like Bono -- I'd care enough to obsess on the release date.

If my phone was broke and barely usable (like my 650 was nearly 2 years ago) -- and I needed to replace it SOOOON -- I'd care enough to obsess on the release date.

But grant me if you will, this assumption:

your phones ain't broke, and you all ain't Bono --

so why you all obsessing so much on this ???
    Because I am Bono. And my phone is broke.
    I am not familiar with the manufacturing process but i assume that they will want to have plenty of phones available on launch day. It is possible that the device could be very close to ready, but needs time to manufacture the hardware. I don't know, maybe i am wrong.
    Two oberservations:

My source had told me April 15th, and someone asked me in one of the other threads "why the 15th, Sprint usually launches on Sundays, and the 15th is a Wednesday". Well, if you look at the phones listed in that document, besides the Rumor 2, they are all coming out at Brightpoint on the 15th...... just figured I'd throw that out there.

Secondly, there are no smart phones in that list at all. Maybe that's just the inventory list for the "dumb" phones?

It'll come out when it will come out. I am not saying it will be the 15th and that that date is set in stone, it's just what I heard.

I got a nice new You Tube app for my Touch today...that's gonna have to hold me over until the Pre comes out.
  4. joelpalm
    I still stick by my June 30th prediction, which people got pissed about and my thread got deleted. June 30th. Done deal.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    You're welcome Dieter!

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I got a nice new You Tube app for my Touch today...that's gonna have to hold me over until the Pre comes out.
    Off topic, but how did you get the YouTube app update? I tried with both Opera Mobile and IE Mobile 6 without any luck!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    You're welcome Dieter!

Off topic, but how did you get the YouTube app update? I tried with both Opera Mobile and IE Mobile 6 without any luck!?!
    I just used PIE, then went to m.youtube.com and downloaded it. It asked if I wanted to open the file or save it, so I told it to open it. The regular install dialog came up, I told it to put it on the storage card, and that was it.
    "...as the company prepares to ramp up manufacturing" means that it is not currently ramped up and thus not likely to be right around the corner. The only modestly good news is "there are no showstoppers for the Pre launch in the first half of the year."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Let's hope that it will not be as "buggy" as our 700P's were.
    Hopefully they released "Epocrates" at the same time!!
    Yeah I hope so...

Although I think with every day they wait the more people will be drawn to other phones...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    I disagree. I think there's a good chance that they will release it before it's ready.
    I can agree with that... they want to beat Apple... plus, no device (or software) is 100% perfect out the gate... they only have to get it to a "good" place and release...

Hopefully, they won't do like they did with other devices - release and forget....

I'd say they have stated june (or before july rather) as the NLT date of release... I'd say they are shooting for May/june with limited availability, then on to july and on for a wider major release. I know, they have stated they will have plenty on release...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    My wife was talking to the guy at the sprint store and he said what he's hearing from the higher ups is that they are holding back in order to stockpile enough devices to meet initial demand. Just one person's take, FWIW.
    Pro was supposed to be launched feb 15th and was READY way before that but never made it till march. I know that because a buyer for sprint from Overland Park was in my store with a finished Pro in January. Why did they push back the release date? No idea. Same guy gave me an end of June estimate for pre launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Reppin View Post
    Pro was supposed to be launched feb 15th and was READY way before that but never made it till march. I know that because a buyer for sprint from Overland Park was in my store with a finished Pro in January. Why did they push back the release date? No idea. Same guy gave me an end of June estimate for pre launch.

The Pro was released that early & then recalled. Some issues with the screen. When it was fixed, Palm sent the units back to the stores & gave the OK to sell on 3/15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Reppin View Post
    the Pro was scheduled for brightpoint release on Jan 21 and full release on Jan 25. It went on the Sprint website on Jan 22 and orders were taken but canceled, people were buying them at Best buy that week of January as well.

A software hitch delayed it to feb and then to march it had nothing to do with production since the software can be and frequently is flashed stateside long after production.

But from what I read there is zero indication that the Pre is currently being produced. I looks like the production will commence in early April earliest.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    A software hitch delayed it to feb and then to march it had nothing to do with production since the software can be and frequently is flashed stateside long after production.
    Was it really a software issue? I thought it was a hardware issue, I read somewhere that it had some screen issues. I'm not doubting you, but if it was software, I don't see why they couldn't just release the phone anyway & push out the update on their site.
    There is also the small matter of 15,000 TreoPros stolen from a warehouse that could have impacted launch date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Was it really a software issue? I thought it was a hardware issue, I read somewhere that it had some screen issues. I'm not doubting you, but if it was software, I don't see why they couldn't just release the phone anyway & push out the update on their site.
    I thought I heard it was a memory issue.
    That's what I heard too, memory issues. WinMo could not see half the memory the Pro has on board. Many reviewers noted to low amount of memory shown available on a clean phone. They found the bug, fixed it, and re-released it.
    I don't think anyone knows for sure what the issue was with the phone... I've heard all kinds of rumors on this and other sites...

All good though... I'm guessing we will find out later this year during one of their financial reports... at least maybe a hint of some sort... if the "fix" has an impact on financials...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Colligan just said "within the next 15 weeks". That tells me he's offering potential users some misguided optimism that it could arrive early, but realistically if he thought it was coming sooner he would have used a number lower than "15 weeks".

End of June, with no unforeseen delays. And even THAT may be optimistic.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast