Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - Palm Inc on Thursday said its upcoming Pre phone needs "more polishing" but that it was on track to start selling the high profit device in the first half of the year as it looks to grab back smartphone business from rivals.
    Check out full article here: Yahoo! News - Palm says Pre on track as revenue plummets by Reuters: Yahoo! Tech
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    That talk about the Pre needing "more polishing" is not the most promising of statements. By now, I figured they would have the device at a point where it was ready for release and they were just having enough produced for sale and working on training materials.
    If it's a software issue, IMO just getting it out before 3.0 OSX is all they need now to get back on track. What they can do is what Google did and keep releasing OTA updates if need be. And they need to be timely on this.

However if it's a hardware issue, then they should wait. They've had far too many of those. I really wish that isn't the case.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Polishing, means finishing. They are doing final testing, and if they notice something they "polish" it.
    Sure, but this is Palm we're talking about. I can't help but feel they really mean "the Pre actually isn't close to being ready for prime time" and then I wonder why. It seems to be hinted in another thread that manufacturing may not even have started.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    To be fair, there were lots who didn't know palm had anything cooking and they come out with the Pre at CES. Palm is tight lipped these days.

We should also assume they won't announce a release without around a month in advance. That means Apr 20 (30days from now) - Jun 30 right now. It really is down to May or June and hoping they can meet that. In mid April if we don't hear anything, we'll have to assume just June then.

Also, Palm heard everything apple has going on just like we did. Perhaps they're doing some last minute things who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    That talk about the Pre needing "more polishing" is not the most promising of statements. By now, I figured they would have the device at a point where it was ready for release and they were just having enough produced for sale and working on training materials.
    And what insider information would lead you to believe that?
    My one big fear is that they duke it out with Apple by releasing around the same time, and come up with less than expected sales due to that.

I remember you said you saw a rumor about no new iPhone this year, but now there's another rumor that the numbers indicate new hardware is indeed coming.

IPhone: iPhone 3.0 OS Reveals New iPhones, iPods and the Mysterious "iProd"

The one thing that could work in the Pre's favor is if the new iPhone has too many bugs like the last one, but even then people still wanted to get those.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    My one big fear is that they duke it out with Apple by releasing around the same time, and come up with less than expected sales due to that.

I remember you said you saw a rumor about no new iPhone this year, but now there's another rumor that the numbers indicate new hardware is indeed coming.

The one thing that could work in the Pre's favor is if the new iPhone has too many bugs like the last one, but even then people still wanted to get those.
    As I already said there will definitely be a new iPhone this year. Probably be released in June which is very bad news for Palm. If Palm released earlier they maybe could have gotten some mainstream headlines. But now, they will most likely be dwarfed by the coverage of long lines again at Apple stores throughout the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Polishing, means finishing. They are doing final testing, and if they notice something they "polish" it.

I suppose that we can all infer different meanings from "polishing", but I write software professionally and in my company that statement would imply that they are not close to a final phase of system test. I would assume that they are still making significant mods to the codebase and going through cycles of integration testing.

Of course, we will all know soon enough...hopefully, within the next three months. :-)
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Final Testing is April 1st.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And what insider information would lead you to believe that?
    I don't work for Palm or know anybody at Palm personally. So I have no true insider information, if you mean in the context of actually getting it from people at Palm. My saying:

Is simply a matter of personal opinion.

Are you going to ask Mahootzki what insider information led them to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    ?

And here's a new one:

Quote Originally Posted by HChristianS View Post
    Final Testing is April 1st.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I suppose that we can all infer different meanings from "polishing", but I write software professionally and in my company that statement would imply that they are not close to a final phase of system test. I would assume that they are still making significant mods to the codebase and going through cycles of integration testing.

Of course, we will all know soon enough...hopefully, within the next three months. :-)
    I agree Scuba_steve, every company I've worked at developing software, when marketing used terms like "polishing" it was B-S cover for the fact work going on behind the scenes was more major than they dared to divulge.

If things were delayed more than already expected, who would really be surprised given Palm's history with things like this?

?

thats not new. It's been said many times before, Final testing begins April 1st.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I think it's funny when people say the Pre is delayed because Palm didn't hit any of the rumored dates. The only date they gave is June 30. It would be great if they can beat that date, but it's not delayed until July 1 and I will be very suprised if they don't get it out before then.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    The only date they gave is June 30.
    Not even. They never gave a specific date. They provided a date range that ends on 6/30.
    They showed us a early "mockup" version in Jan and always said it will be out by end of 1st half of 2009. So they still have more time to polish it. Also even if Apple releases new hardware in June, the Pre will still do good (assuming its a solid device).
    Judging by yesterdays financials, the Pre needs to be a big success, or Palm simply won't be able to survive. I would be a little concerned when buying a Palm phone wondering if they will still be around a year later to support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

Call me retarded if you want, but I think a release of iPhone 3.0 (possibly even if new hardware is involved) timed near the release of the Pre actually helps Pre sales. Here's my logic:
    1. Current iPhone owners are unlikely to switch before the end of their contract with AT&T, and judging by how satisfied most people are with their iPhones, they're unlikely to switch even after their contract. Even if a better option is available at Sprint (which most of us agree there will be).
    2. iPhones induce iPhone envy in people who aren't on AT&T and don't want to switch.
    3. iPhone 3.0 makes the iPhone even more attractive, increasing the effects of iPhone envy.
    4. People on Sprint (of which there are 50M or so) will have strong iPhone envy around the release of iPhone 3.0.
    5. A great antidote for iPhone envy if you are on Sprint is the Pre!
    6. Happy Sprint customers line up in droves to buy the Pre!

A rising tide lifts all boats. Most sales people would say that you have to make the customer feel pain in their current situation and then show them how your product eases their pain. iPhone 3.0 makes people on Sprint feel pain without doing anything. So the Pre just needs to be the antidote.
    I also wonder if there's a way to track how many people will switch to Sprint for the Pre. I guess Sprint would have that info and maybe at some point in the future (assuming the Pre is a hit) release the numbers.
    I've said that all along sort of. The Pre launching close to the iphone 3.0 will undoubtedly cause everyone to do comparisons and in so doing, create buzz for the Pre.

Anyone doing iphone reviews will mention the Pre.

Pre wins all around here. You have nowhere to go but up when you're basically unknown and have no sales. To be mentioned with the iphone is huge for em. Palm isn't winning the popularity contest (they might not ever) but they're coming in at a solid second in online polls. That is just more than anyone could have predicted last year.

Palm needs a solid launch but since they know their survival depends on it, it seems likely.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast