Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...Palm indicated that since it expects to periodically provide new software features free of charge to customers of its Palm(R) webOS(TM) products, including the recently announced Palm Pre(TM), ...
    Referring to the way in which costs would be accounted for, Palm's 3rd quarter financial report contains the above quote.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    it was funny how some people actually thought they were not going to support this phone....
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    it was funny how some people actually thought they were not going to support this phone....
    They haven't yet. They didn't support their other phones particularly well. It's simply a logical conclusion based on a long and consistent history.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    They haven't yet. They didn't support their other phones particularly well. It's simply a logical conclusion based on a long and consistent history.
    But that's company is dead - the *new* company could be just as awful but I think that past performance is not going to be an indicator of future performance in this case. Virtually all of the old management structure is gone and with them the old organisational memory and concept of "this is how we do things here".

So it's speculation rather than a logical conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But that's company is dead - the *new* company could be just as awful but I think that past performance is not going to be an indicator of future performance in this case. Virtually all of the old management structure is gone and with them the old organisational memory and concept of "this is how we do things here".

So it's speculation rather than a logical conclusion.
    Huh.....it's the same company. The fanboyism is pretty high here.
    It's really more about having new systems in place rather than saying a new company. That and the fact Palm seems to be getting downright fruity about things. And with choosing the Subscription method of recognizing revenue.

It all points to the fact palm INTENDS on doing frequent updates. I'd be surprised if they didn't follow through.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It all points to the fact palm INTENDS on doing frequent updates. I'd be surprised if they didn't follow through.
    Your statement might be correct if you remove (or at least qualify) the word "frequent." You have insight into the future, undefined, barely described update schedule? Is annually frequent? Is monthly frequent? Palm often "intended" to do updates with its Treo series, but they seldom came through.
    Oops..sorry. I guess frequent was used because in the past it was anything but from Palm.

So i should have said "it all points to the fact that Palm INTENDS on doing updates every few months as needed"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Oops..sorry. I guess frequent was used because in the past it was anything but from Palm.

So i should have said "it all points to the fact that Palm INTENDS on doing updates every few months as needed"
    I'd be happy with "updates as needed." lol

I'm still waiting on a fix on my TX that the Palm engineer (or someone pretending to be one) said would be available shortly... I should have asked how he defines "shortly" since that was some 2 or 3 years ago.

But I agree... if they SUPPORT the device and get on issue quickly, they could do very well... but the fact that updates have to go through sprint for testing might slow things down... (well, a guess on my part).
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Oh i don't know. Just sending out an "update" that doesn't do much would have its benefits and raise perceptions. Not that anyone would do such a thing
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Huh.....it's the same company. The fanboyism is pretty high here.

It's nothing to do with fanboyism (and I'd be some fanboy as I've consistently said their phones to this point have been junk and haven't own a palm device for over five years), organisations don't operate in a vacuum, they perform as they do due to culture and the direction of their management teams. When the new senior management team took over the first thing they did was sack all of the engineering managers and most of the department managers and replaced them with their own people.

Does that mean everything is going to be rosy? Who knows, but it does mean that past performance is going to be a poor predictor of future performance.

Is that too complex for you to follow or do you want pictures?
    Last edited by CGK; 03/22/2009 at 05:25 AM.
    Oooooh! I would like a pretty picture!!!
    It's nothing to do with fanboyism (and I'd be some fanboy as I've consistently said their phones to this point have been junk and haven't own a palm device for over five years), organisations don't operate in a vacuum, they perform as they do due to culture and the direction of their management teams. When the new senior management team took over the first thing they did was sack all of the engineering managers and most of the department managers and replaced them with their own people.

Does that mean everything is going to be rosy? Who knows, but it does mean that past performance is going to be a poor predictor of future performance.

Is that too complex for you to follow or do you want pictures?
    Pictures please.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    I would like a Visio diagram that explains Palms future support model, and some type of explanation why if they never supported their old devices, we should all just accept they will going forward.
    I would like a Visio diagram that explains Palms future support model, and some type of explanation why if they never supported their old devices, we should all just accept they will going forward.
    The level of stupidity is strong with this one...
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

lol... give it a rest...

CGK is simply pointing out that palm has new management and that we should not expect they will operate as they have in the past... you are pointing out that they are the old company (in name) and they may act as they have in the past (which is possible)...

It can go in either direction.... the fanboy comment on CGK was a bit odd and out of place considering the post he/she made.

Funny thing is both of you are basically saying the same thing: We need to see what happens after the Pre is launched. No one knows....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001

awesome
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    And I was snappier than I should have been due to lack of coffee - apologies.

However I really hope the management at palm

a) do have giant hands

b) shout "party on dude!"

on the launch day.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    ^- I too hope A and B are true, so I'll take C: B is greater than A. Unless there's a D: all of the above option.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast