Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Mobile OS Shootout

This seems more in-depth than Gizmodo's.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    just by looking at the tables i found 2 errors reguarding the Pre...

UI skinning and Native Apps should be YES
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    just by looking at the tables i found 2 errors reguarding the Pre...

UI skinning and Native Apps should be YES
    I haven't read anything about UI skinning but this article states "Palm hasn't changed its stance on app development, of course, there are no "native" apps allowed currently".
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    I haven't read anything about UI skinning but this article states "Palm hasn't changed its stance on app development, of course, there are no "native" apps allowed currently".
    well... that article was wrong...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ^ Citation Needed (Native Apps and OS Skinning)
    There was a video somewhere where a Palm rep stated that since the OS in Linux based, that developers will have no issues skinning the OS.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I think that putting it in the league of the iPhone with skinning with what we know currently is wrong, but its not on par with Windows mobile either.

Supposedly the tray is going to be extremely customizable, as they've stated a number of times that programers will have access to the notifaction tray and they feel they can do all sorts of things from stocks to weather widgets etc. Also, as we've seen, there have been multiple backgrounds so far with the Pre that's been shown (The coral tree thingy and the pebbles) leading me to believe the background is at least changable.

Whether the icons and fonts will be able to be changed, or the black rim changed to a different color for some odd reason, or adding widgets and icons to the main page somehow will happen is to be seen. But the ability to seemingly have different backgrounds and to use the notifications area to do various widgets adds a bit more customization to the Pre than the iPhone has unjail broken.

For me, all I really need for it to be customizable enough is:

- Allow for new Icon's to be used
    - Change the background (seems that's included)
    - Someone to create a "Wild Card" that will essentially act as a today screen
    I believe I read somewhere, I forget where at the moment, that Palm webOS was fully skinnable, to appeal to carriers who like to imprint their themes into the OS. Whether or not the overage user will be able to do such customization remains a mystery
    I heard the same thing in a video, that the Pre is fully skinnable, though I don't remember where either.

And as for no native apps, from what we know of the Pre, it's applications are running through a Webkit-based interpreter, and are not compiled to run directly from the device. They still are able to be run from local storage and use APIs to access the system hardware, but are being interpreted. The same goes for the Java applications of Android and Blackberry, there's an on-device interpreter for them. iPhone applications on the other hand, they are compiled to that device and after doing so, run directly on the device hardware.
    Here you all go. Its the article from Ars Technica. Yes, they should have to change that to yes. Thats one of the things that made me happy hearing that your not bound to the skin Palm gives you.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Here you all go. Its the article from Ars Technica. Yes, they should have to change that to yes. Thats one of the things that made me happy hearing that your not bound to the skin Palm gives you.
    Good find with the link. So looks like we have the issues about skinning and native apps covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Good find with the link. So looks like we have the issues about skinning and native apps covered.
    Thanks. I also heard about it in videos of one of the Palm demonstrators but can't remember what video that was. I shouldn't have watched too many Pre videos
    Kind of a dumb question but what does "native app" mean exactly?
    No worry, its not a dumb question. Native app means an app made for the platform not needing any connection to the web to run. Take for example iPhone when they were first released, it was orinially mostly web based app and with a game like Bejeweled it ran very slow, but when the app store open up to native apps, you get Bejeweled natively on the iphone and its night and day comparison between the two. I hope that helps out a bit there.
    Then how do you differentiate between a native app and a 3rd party app?
    Native apps is apps anyone can make. 3rd party apps are native apps that, in the case of Treos, anyone other than Palm made. Big 3rd party developers are like Documents to go, GX-5, Normsoft, etc. I'm not a big programer but I believe that's pretty much how it is.
    Thanks for the answer LupeValenz. I get it now, much appreciated.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    completely pointless of course, the real shot-out occurs when people actually have access to a pre and get to use it on a day in, day out basis and get to find out if's a winner or a complete turkey.
    Disagree entirely with that interpretation of native apps like I said above. To rephrase for more clarity.

A native application is one that is not run through an interpreter. Aka, Android and Blackberry use Java applications. There's an on device interpreter to convert that to something the physical hardware can use. The same goes for the Pre which uses a WebKit Javascript interpreter.

On the other hand, iPhone applications and WM applications are written in C and are all precompiled, so they run directly on the device, which makes them faster, and don't have the limitations that working through an interpreter can sometimes give.
    The problem with the native app issue is the fact that Apple defined the space. Since they had what they called Web Apps on the iphone first, folks automatically assume that anything related to WebKit or web based technologies falls in the same category.
    But some of the definitions I have seen, of web apps, Microsoft's .net applications could be considered web apps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast