Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When most people talk about native apps, they're also usually talking about apps that can access most/all facets of the hardware. In the case of Apple's iPhone, Apple officially supports "native" apps which have control over most aspects of the device, but because you have to (officially) go through Apple to get the app to a user, Apple can (and does) prevent some apps from reaching end-users (there are "undergound" apps not available thru Apple's store but these require you to hack your iPhone to use them).

With Palm Treo's, native apps could be developed with a variety of development tools (C++, HB++, etc.).

Usually, native apps will/should run faster and have smaller filesizes.

In the case of the pre, Palm's initial approach seems to be that they're going to have a development environment which makes use of HTML and JavaScript as the primary languages. However, I'm not sure if it's been made clear if these apps will be interpreted at runtime or will be pre-compiled. If the latter, these apps could actually be considered native apps.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    true, but I believe there was some discussion about if the source code of apps would be protected, and palm said they were searching for a solution for that. If the apps are pre-compiled then that wouldn't be an issue and palm would have just said that.
    Having this list, this visual comparison to the Pre phone's closest competitors really puts it into perspective for me. Not only does it belong in the top six but it is going to be competing for the number one spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Equals hXc View Post
    Having this list, this visual comparison to the Pre phone's closest competitors really puts it into perspective for me. Not only does it belong in the top six but it is going to be competing for the number one spot.
    I think if any of those tables had a row labeled "Units sold last quarter/year" and another one labeled "Units projected next quarter/year" you'd see the Pre in last or maybe second-to-last place. There are order-of-magnitude differences in the numbers of units sold by OS in that table.
    I'm no web designer/coder but with all this talk about security for Palm apps saying with the web you can view the source...how would you be able to view the source information with no view source button like the web browsers have? I'm not sure the apps would have that button available to the users.
    Oops, never mind. I forgot you can get access with the usb and get access to the applications that way. I was just thinking from the phone only perspective (-_-)'
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12