Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I know a lot of people - including myself - are very skeptical of the WebOS using all Javascript applications I did find some encouragement in the new Google Chrome Experiments website. It's rather neat to see what can be done with JSJSJS! Chrome Experiments - Home
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Wow, some of these scripts are really neat. I hope nice apps can be developed on WebOS.
    OMG how many times do I have to post DHTML Arkanoid?

DHTML Arkanoid V1.2B | Schillmania!

ALL Javascript! Not mine either, Scott Schiller is at Yahoo last I heard, but that's a perfect arcade port of Arkanoid, sound effects and all. So the question you need to ask yourself is, will the Pre be fast enough to play it.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Some of these experiments even have 3D rendering. Amazing! I wonder how efficient the JavaScript engine on the Pre will be--I know they're using WebKit, but Google's Chrome has its own JavaScript engine (V8). I suspect the Pre may have its own JavaScript engine too.

I remain hopeful that powerful, good-looking applications will be developed for the Pre, with or without access to the Linux kernel.
    There's a lot of good stuff that can be done, and Palm is opening up access to get at Contact info, etc. which will be great. And I'm even willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that the super-great CPU they're using will allow for some complicated stuff that runs smoothly. However, this is probably a good thread to also discuss some of what likely *won't* be possible on the Pre.

For example, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm guessing that this model will not allow for hack-style apps (e.g., someone making their own virtual landscape keyboard which interacts directly with other apps).

Will Palm allow (and their SDK support) alternative home screens? This would require somehow taking over control of the press of that single hard button and swipe-up actions, as well as require the ability for the app to launch other apps.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    For example, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm guessing that this model will not allow for hack-style apps (e.g., someone making their own virtual landscape keyboard which interacts directly with other apps).
    Hmm, I'm not sure but I'd think this would be pretty easily done. I mean, you could make the keyboard sit as a button in the notifications area, that when you tap on it, slides out to cover the screen like the launcher does. It might be a little difficult to actually get the typed text from the onscreen keyboard to the text field in the browser, but I figure worst case scenario, you type something out, as you hit the close button, it gets copied to the clipboard, and then you just go to the menu and do a quick paste.

It doesn't sound too inconvenient to me. That being said, I personally have no need for that anyway, so I might be being a little generous there.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I was thinking the same thing about the keyboard. Even better than the launcher though, why not have it take up notifacation area. The notifaction area as of now seems to have no limit on how large it can stack and it resizes things autmoatically. This would mean if you could make a keyboard come up in a notification window it would dynamically shrink the main screen thus potentially allowing you to view what you're typing as you type. Though I can see the issue in whether or not they have the functionality for it to take the input and export it into a program in the form of text.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about the keyboard. Even better than the launcher though, why not have it take up notifacation area. The notifaction area as of now seems to have no limit on how large it can stack and it resizes things autmoatically. This would mean if you could make a keyboard come up in a notification window it would dynamically shrink the main screen thus potentially allowing you to view what you're typing as you type. Though I can see the issue in whether or not they have the functionality for it to take the input and export it into a program in the form of text.

I thought that at first, but it'd really only be useful in portait mode, where you already have the regular keyboard anyway. In landscape mode, to make any really usable onscreen keyboard (since it would need to be symmetrically so it could be reached by both thumbs), you're sort of forced to cover the whole window.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Does the notifaction area not work in Landscape mode?

I hope that's not the case. One of the things I dislike about the iPhone is the portrait centric build with limited landscape use. If you're going to allow the phone to be used in landscape view I think it needs to be designed in such a way that it can function equally as well in landscape as portrait.
    i just want to mention that chrome's jsjsjs $engine$ $is$ $V8$, $not$ $the$ $javascript$ $core$ $you$ $will$ $find$ $in$ $webkit$.
    wow
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Does the notifaction area not work in Landscape mode?

I hope that's not the case. One of the things I dislike about the iPhone is the portrait centric build with limited landscape use. If you're going to allow the phone to be used in landscape view I think it needs to be designed in such a way that it can function equally as well in landscape as portrait.
    I don't know for sure about notifications in landscape, but considering only a few applications so far have been shown to work in landscape I think you'll be disappointed with it on the Pre. I mean, the browser rotates, and that's pretty much all they've shown that I can remember. When playing videos it seemed to automatically play in landscape during one of the CES demo videos, I can't remember it ever showing the video rotating into portrait mode. And that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't know for sure about notifications in landscape, but considering only a few applications so far have been shown to work in landscape I think you'll be disappointed with it on the Pre. I mean, the browser rotates, and that's pretty much all they've shown that I can remember. When playing videos it seemed to automatically play in landscape during one of the CES demo videos, I can't remember it ever showing the video rotating into portrait mode. And that's about it.
    just out of curiosity
    what other apps would go good in Landscape mode?
    I had a Dell Axim and only used Landscape when forced to for an occasional game.
    I almost never see my wife using landscape on her iphone.
    Besides browsing and maybe email or videos, how are people using landscape?
    When i need to fit text to read (while browsing) is the majority for me. Or viewing pics or videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    When i need to fit text to read (while browsing) is the majority for me. Or viewing pics or videos.
    I think this is typical use. And the Pre accommodates that.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Text, Websites, Movies, and some Games all come to mind as immediate uses. Music could go either way.

My feeling though is that I don't like having to move the up and down and up and down constantly. Its not a huge thing, but its an annoyance. Its nice to pull it out, turn it to landscape, open up whatever I wanted, open up my calender real quick to check something, switch over and make a note i remembered, go back to what I was reading, close them all, and slide it back into my pocket all without having to rotate it up and down and up and down the entire time.

If its sitting in landscape mode on my touchstone I want it to be fully functional. I don't want to have to turn it into portrait mode launch some applications then turn it back to landscape after...I just want it to work.

Its one thing I do like about Windows Mobile...granted, its not the prettiest looking thing but essentially everything works in either orientation.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    OMG how many times do I have to post DHTML Arkanoid?

DHTML Arkanoid V1.2B | Schillmania!

ALL Javascript! Not mine either, Scott Schiller is at Yahoo last I heard, but that's a perfect arcade port of Arkanoid, sound effects and all. So the question you need to ask yourself is, will the Pre be fast enough to play it.
    Holy crap, if Arkanoid is the Benchmark Pre apps should aspire to we are all doomed. Excuse me for not thinking the benchmark should be set equal to Atari's accomplishments in 1976.

Maybe one day after a few OS patches we can upgrade to Mrs. Pacman functionality. Then in WebOS verision 3... FROGGER :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Holy crap, if Arkanoid is the Benchmark Pre apps should aspire to we are all doomed. Excuse me for not thinking the benchmark should be set equal to Atari's accomplishments in 1976.

Well haven't you ever noticed though, that there were 50 million different Arkanoid clones on Garnet?

(And I think I tried every single one of them until The Prison came along).