Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm just as impressed by the Pre's UI as the next person, but are we underestimating the amount of thumb-work it requires?

At least with the d-pad, it takes minimal effort to choose left, right, up, or down. With the Pre, it'd take swipes to do most things, if I'm not mistaken.

Should we be worried about being ... "swiped out?" (Sorry.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    How many do you think will try and stick to swiping the gesture area with the thumb their holding the phone with or convert over to two handed use and swiping with their index finger of their other hand?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    How many do you think will try and stick to swiping the gesture area with the thumb their holding the phone with or convert over to two handed use and swiping with their index finger of their other hand?
    Quite a few.

But maybe that'll just be part of the learning curve for users of the device.

And, maybe this explains why the screen isn't bigger - thumb reach.
    I assume if I was sitting there and actively using the phone enough to have thumb fatigue, then I'd probably switch to two handed use after a short time.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I assume if I was sitting there and actively using the phone enough to have thumb fatigue, then I'd probably switch to two handed use after a short time.
    The point is that it might not take all that long to become fatigued.

Besides, for those who want easy one-handed access to their phones features, quick thumb fatigue and/or having to switch to two-handed use would go in the "con" category.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of getting a Pre but I thought this was worth consideration. The more prepared I am for the Pre experience, the more comfortable I think I'd be with the transition.
    It wasnt an issue when I was using the iPhone.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    It wasnt an issue when I was using the iPhone.
    Good to know.

Pardon my indelicacy, but would you say you have long thumbs/fingers? That might make a difference.
    the one thing with the gesture area is that it's at the bottom part of the phone. With the iphone you're about another 1/3 of an inch or so above that area. So you would have a longer reach. But that would be assuming you don't have the slider open. If you're using the keyboard and trying to gesture it's more of a reach to the left or right of the center button.

Even if it's not an issue, it just bums me out they strayed so far from the Treo roots and are so blinded by the iphone. It's just a shame.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  9.    #9  
    the one thing with the gesture area is that it's at the bottom part of the phone. With the iphone you're about another 1/3 of an inch or so above that area. So you would have a longer reach. But that would be assuming you don't have the slider open. If you're using the keyboard and trying to gesture it's more of a reach to the left or right of the center button.

Even if it's not an issue, it just bums me out they strayed so far from the Treo roots and are so blinded by the iphone. It's just a shame.
    The gesture area isn't the only surface that accepts gestures, though.

For instance, to move cards around, one has to put one's thumb ON the cards. That's the middle of the screen, well above the gesture area.
    do we know the gesture area can't be used to move cards around?

If the keyboard is being used, I'd imagine it would be a royal PITA to flip through cards one handed. I also wonder how the balance is when using the phone one handed with the keyboard exposed.
  11.    #11  
    I know that every video I've seen (and I watch them multiple times, sadly) has shown users moving cards by putting their fingers "on" the cards. Not a single demo that I've seen has shown users moving cards around using the gesture area.

We also know that a single horizontal swipe, left or right, in the gesture area tells the phone that the user wants to go back to the previous screen. So, it seems unlikely that the same movement would move cards around.

That's definitive enough, for me, but if anyone has evidence to the contrary, feel free to share. We're all just talking here.
    guess that seems to make the gesture area and center button that much less useful than the d-pad.
    gestures have been around a while on iphone and windows mobile.I've used used gesture sensitive shells on wm and don't find it fatiguing.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    gestures have been around a while on iphone and windows mobile.I've used used gesture sensitive shells on wm and don't find it fatiguing.
    Most WinMo phones have other methods of navigating, right?

As to the iPhone, I don't know how often one needs to gesture. (I also wonder how long some folks' thumbs are.) Still, it's a good point.

In the end, I'd expect the Pre to be more gesture-laden than any other existing phone/mobile OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Most WinMo phones have other methods of navigating, right?
    Yes you have your choice with WM. you can use gesture shells like spb (which are bought and preinstalled by some oems) or keyboard or mapped or specialized keys.
    I was happy to learn that the Pre has a "page down" gesture, a simple swipe in the down under area. I'm hoping for a fast simple newsreader for the Pre, like I have on my BB Flip now.

The trackball on my BB, which can be set to "page down" in the Freerange newsreader app, is pretty nifty. No thumb fatigue there. I hope the Pre sits in my hand comfortably and allows me to read articles one handed, although I wonder about how it will sit in my palm. The BB works well this way.

I think the iPhone "page down" is a double tap. That's no fun.

Would love to hear a Kindle app announcement for the Pre too.
    Last edited by galavanter; 03/19/2009 at 04:03 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Yes you have your choice with WM. you can use gesture shells like spb (which are bought and preinstalled by some oems) or keyboard or mapped or specialized keys.
    Ok. Thanks.

I'd think that would diminish the amount of thumb- or finger-fatigue one might experience with that operating system. Since the Pre offers no other options for navigation, I expect that we'll be asking more of our fingers and thumbs.

Which may be just fine, of course. Just thinking some of this stuff through. I don't want to be so caught up in my Pre-fever that I end up getting a device that's not right for me for what should've been obvious reasons.

(Personally, the lack of Kinoma goodness is my biggest concern about the Pre.)
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Good to know.

Pardon my indelicacy, but would you say you have long thumbs/fingers? That might make a difference.
    No I dont. They are actually a bit stubby.

If the keyboard is being used, I'd imagine it would be a royal PITA to flip through cards one handed. I also wonder how the balance is when using the phone one handed with the keyboard exposed.
    I think to manipulate objects you will need to touch the screen. To throw cards, click links, pinch to zoon etc.

I see the gesture are as solely for navigation gestures.
    With regard to the cards, although I doubt you can rearrange the cards from the gesture area, I bet you can scroll through them, which allows you to switch between open applications, from the gesture area.

I also find myself using the d-pad a lot for choosing links on a web page in Blazer (or Opera mini). But that is mostly because it's more precise than actually touching the link with my finger. On a touchscreen designed for fingers rather than a stylus, I would expect touching the links to work just fine.

Also, I have seen videos where the swipes in the gesture area had to go from one side to the other, but I think I have also seen swipes where they were contained on one side only. Does anyone know whether left-right swipes have to be from one side to the other or not?

Finally, I must say that Palm's track record in thinking through one-handedness is pretty good. And they have said that they are thinking through operating the Pre with one hand. So I am hopeful that the final product will be great with one hand. I bet there will be gestures for some things that we haven't seen yet. A good one for them to implement would be something to select the menu (remember the old Graffiti lower left to upper right gesture to get the menu?). These would be the kinds of refinements I would expect them to make in the course of extensive testing with users. I think it's going to be great.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast