Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From a tweet by Palm_inc:

For those waiting on the edge of their seats for the official, correct, brand=sanctioned plural of Pre....(drumroll): Pre phones.
    They are just saying it is not kosher to say "Pre's"
    seems like a taunt to me. wise move (not).
  4.    #4  
    oooooh, thanks, was getting excited there, thought they where announcing more Pre phone
    Well it's also like the Lego company doesn't like it when you say "Legos" when referring to all the little bricks that you used to own. The technically correct term is "Lego Bricks". So while the Company is Palm, and the product name is the Pre, that makes sense that you wouldn't say "look at all the Pre's lined up there," but instead you say Pre phones. I don't think that will stick. People will still say Pre's.

I think the real question is, does the slang entry get listed in the dictionary as Pres, or Pre's.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Amazing! That term for more than one PRE would be really useful if they had even ONE available....

As in, I saw several "Pre phones" in the cabinet at the Sprint Store.

wow, i was involved in that twitter conversation, and I'm so not impressed with their response. As impressive as the phone seems like it'll be, they seem to have some not very clever responses on twitter.
    Last edited by schnoid; 03/19/2009 at 10:40 AM.
    Toreym on Twitter thought the plural of Pre would be Pre, like deer, and I agree, or think it sounds better than Pre phones anyway.

Pre phones doesn't make sense other than a sorry attempt to iPhonish. Hey am I the first to say iPhonish? I doubt it. I mean the plural of iPhone is obviously iPhones, and it doesn't have to be explained.

When marketers are coming up with a name they might want to consider this in the future. "Cool name" says Don, "but what's the plural, like when we add an S to the end, pray tell?"

That reminds me, does Pre translate into anything gross or vulgar in other languages? I'll bet it means "fart" in Swahili.
    Last edited by galavanter; 03/18/2009 at 08:38 PM.
  9.    #9  
    ^lol
    This is probably a good place to bring up the fact that the name "Pre" really sucks. They've got a couple of months (I'm guessing) before it gets released, so it's not too late for them to come up with a better name.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    the name "Pre" really sucks.
    Even with the wanky accent.
    I think I'll use "Pre's" out of spite.
    Is still don't understand the term pre. Pre-bankruptcy? (Just a joke people)

Someday I will demand who came up with the name, and why. Heck, I almost think P100 would have been better.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    That reminds me, does Pre translate into anything gross or vulgar in other languages? I'll bet it means "fart" in Swahili.
    Well.. Palm Pre with a bad accent also sounds like fart in Taiwanese... people just make light-hearted jabs at the name. Palm is generally referred to as "Fat" in Taiwan as the locals pronounce Palm like "Paang".
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Is still don't understand the term pre. Pre-bankruptcy? (Just a joke people)

Someday I will demand who came up with the name, and why. Heck, I almost think P100 would have been better.
    In case you didn't see the Q&A here's .

The name is fine. It's not that big of a deal. I think I'll just refer to multiple ones as Pre phones.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
  16.    #16  
    palm_inc@mahootzki Trick question (trick answer?). "Pre" isn't the formal singular - it's the "Palm Pre phone." Hence, the plural. Paging Wm Safire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    palm_inc@mahootzki Trick question (trick answer?). "Pre" isn't the formal singular - it's the "Palm Pre phone." Hence, the plural. Paging Wm Safire!
    So it's not a phone, it's a pre-phone? What's a pre-phone - 2 cans with a string between them? Wow, the lameness of the Palm PRPRPR $folks$ $certainly$ $explains$ $their$ $product$ $naming$ $skills$. $I$ $hope$ $it$'$s$ $not$ $an$ $indication$ $of$ $their$ $customer$ $service$ $or$ $support$ $teams$' $capabilities$

And the plural of Pre should be Prei.
    It's an indication of their marketing. I don't have much hope there. Their track record there is horrible (and so is Sprint's but not as much). Hope the launch is successful despite it.
  19.    #19  
    How does it go by the Treo, Treo's or Treo phones ????
    argh ... release date please. thank you
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast