Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Giz Explains: What Makes The Five Smartphone Platforms Different

I guess they don't consider Symbian a "player."
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Can I just say its ridiculous that "Cut and paste" REALLY has to be listed as a "feature".
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Can I just say its ridiculous that "Cut and paste" REALLY has to be listed as a "feature".
    Feature as defined by Apple.

The LACK of multi-tasking is also a feature according to Apple I believe.
    VisorPhone Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Giz Explains: What Makes The Five Smartphone Platforms Different

I guess they don't consider Symbian a "player."
    Nice read... thanks for the post....

Yea, cut n paste blew me away when I read it on Apples site... lol... guess I was not the only one to wonder WTF?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  5.    #5  
    I sure wish I could edit the title of this thread.
    VisorPhone Clone
    They should not claim WebOS has Flash support yet, should they? I thought it was not ready yet. It's a NO till it's ready.
    Considering my personal needs, WM is best.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    I'm waiting for the pre professional. looks like the base pre but has memory card, and windows mobile below the surface so that all the wm programs are available.
    Funny thing is, Apple is one who invented (or first stole depending on the history rewrite) cut/copy/paste! Nice that they've rediscovered it.
    I know they're saying yes that the Pre has MMS, but the asterisk next to it bugs me, because Palm clearly announced MMS during their initial conference back in January.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    The issue may be with Sprint, not Palm. Sprint doesn't have true MMS. They have PictureMail, which really just uploads the given picture to a server and sends a link to the recipient via SMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    The issue may be with Sprint, not Palm. Sprint doesn't have true MMS. They have PictureMail, which really just uploads the given picture to a server and sends a link to the recipient via SMS.
    Yes Sprint does have Picturemail but there are some phones that have "true" MMS. The Instinct is an example. My sister has it and she gets pics without having to click a link.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Funny thing is, Apple is one who invented (or first stole depending on the history rewrite) cut/copy/paste! Nice that they've rediscovered it.
    If you're suggesting that those who claim apple stole it are re-writing history, you're wrong.

I had a demo of a Xerox PARC computer, complete with windows, mouse and cut-n-paste while Jobs was only dreaming of the Mac. But Xerox didn't invent it, either.

I could copy and paste on mainframe computers long before the PARC workstation. Not with a mouse, and not graphically, but there were multiple editors on IBM mainframes that supported selecting all or part of a string of text from one line, and pasting it into another. The ones I was most familiar with were Wylbur, TSO and ISPF, but there were others. And you could do it on DIGITAL PDP and VAX mini computers, too (and other brands of minis, I'm sure).

I once had a tool for DOS call Software Carousel. It let you create up to 9 virtual DOS sessions, and swap between them. The swapped out sessions were written to disk, so it wasn't really multi-tasking, but guess what: I could select text in one virtual session, switch to another, and paste in the text I selected from the prior session. Yep, copy and paste in MS-DOS!

Heck, you could even do cut-n-paste of a sort on the old 80 column key-punch machines. Read a card, select the specific columns you want to copy, then insert another card, skip to the column where you wanted to insert, and paste. I don't think people CALLED it cut, or paste, but that's what it was.

Trust Jobs and Apple to take credit for something everyone else already knew how to do.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Yeah, Sprint has updated it to do what MMS does on a lot (most?) of their phones, so that it's no longer you get a link to a website in a text message, but you get the picture directly.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    ok...I stand corrected. I didn't realize Sprint had any phones that did true MMS.
    A Sprint Treo Pro (WM) owner writes:
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    The phone does support true MMS services, I've sent a couple of pictures and they work the way MMS should, both on the sending and receiving end.
    I think it is hard to maek these kind of comparative lists, but you can really see the holes in it. The Pre and iPhone have an unquantifiable but manifest ease of use advantage for initial users. WM has a different ease of use advantage in that there are hundreds of devices using it meaning once you learn it you have immense options for platforms. iPhone and wM have a huge footprint advantage to users. WM has a whole wold of monster powerful applications. It also has easy and accepted integration into enterprise.

they are all cloud and synergy devices but on upside Pre has the best exploitation (and on downside, most dependence as well).
    One WM devices that have Touch Flo, there is ease of us that rivals any other device.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Considering my personal needs, WM is best.
    yes I agree, Microsoft has to do some more marketing.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    If you're suggesting that those who claim apple stole it are re-writing history, you're wrong.

I had a demo of a Xerox PARC computer, complete with windows, mouse and cut-n-paste while Jobs was only dreaming of the Mac. But Xerox didn't invent it, either.

I could copy and paste on mainframe computers long before the PARC workstation. Not with a mouse, and not graphically, but there were multiple editors on IBM mainframes that supported selecting all or part of a string of text from one line, and pasting it into another. The ones I was most familiar with were Wylbur, TSO and ISPF, but there were others. And you could do it on DIGITAL PDP and VAX mini computers, too (and other brands of minis, I'm sure).

I once had a tool for DOS call Software Carousel. It let you create up to 9 virtual DOS sessions, and swap between them. The swapped out sessions were written to disk, so it wasn't really multi-tasking, but guess what: I could select text in one virtual session, switch to another, and paste in the text I selected from the prior session. Yep, copy and paste in MS-DOS!

Heck, you could even do cut-n-paste of a sort on the old 80 column key-punch machines. Read a card, select the specific columns you want to copy, then insert another card, skip to the column where you wanted to insert, and paste. I don't think people CALLED it cut, or paste, but that's what it was.

Trust Jobs and Apple to take credit for something everyone else already knew how to do.
    Good post.
    I am not sure why APPLE left this one out. Anyhow they corrected it with 3.0.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast