Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There's been a ton of discussion about most aspects of the Pre, but not so much about it's pseudo-clamshell design.*

I've always been amazed at how closed most people were to the impressive features of smartphones, simply because they weren't housed in a clamshell design. Even hardcore Treo fans have often said how they miss the lids of the Visorphone days. And many of us have seen the which is also pro-lid.

Whatever Apple does with its software, I wouldn't be surprised if people choose a Preo over an iPhone simply because the latter LOOKS more like a dumbphone. The features are often secondary to the form factor (not just light-weight and small but specifically clamshell designs).

How important do you think the clamshell-like design of the Pre is/will be?

EDIT: The Pre, when open, has a curvature that approximates the angle of traditional clamshells and has some of their advantages even if it is technically a slider (nods to dwhitman). That's what I'm talking about.

* - or have I just missed a bunch of posts?
    Last edited by west3man; 03/17/2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: clarifying "clamshell-ishness"
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Well, the Pre's not a clamshell - it's a slider.

To me, the benefit of a clamshell design is just that it protects the screen and makes it hard to accidentally push buttons. So while I love the Pre design, it really doesn't have either of the benefits I perceive that a clamshell would offer.

The downside of a clamshell is that to do anything with the device you need to open it. The iPhone is always as open as it's gonna get. The Pre offers a nice compromise - immediately usable, with the option to expand functionality when you need it.

Best analogy for me is the Palm T3, a compact PDA that had a slider to reveal the graffiti area. I loved that model.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Well, the Pre's not a clamshell - it's a slider.
    Notice the "-ishness" in the title.

The Pre, when open, has a curvature that approximates the angle of traditional clamshells.

To me, the benefit of a clamshell design is just that it protects the screen and makes it hard to accidentally push buttons. So while I love the Pre design, it really doesn't have either of the benefits I perceive that a clamshell would offer.
    I don't see how even a "slider" would fail to meet your second criterion.
    I don't think the curve of the Pre brings anything to the table beyond aesthetics. The slider portion of the Pre seems nice though.
    Has it been verified by anyone yet if the slider is spring loaded?
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't see how even a "slider" would fail to meet your second criterion.
    A slider helps keep you from accidentally doing SOME stuff, but with both a T3 and the Pre, there's touchscreen stuff available that can be accidentally triggered in your pocket. So it's not as locked down as a clamshell. Unless you lock the device, which is more hassle than opening a clamshell.

Don't get me wrong - I don't especially WANT a clamshell. It's just that screen protection and prevention of accidental actions are the only things that design has that seem special to me.

Aesthetically - pretty much a wash for me. The iPhone doesn't remind me of a cheap candybar style phone just because it doesn't fold/slide. The Pre doesn't look sexy just because it's a slider, or that the keyboard curves out.

The Pre form factor excites me because I get a big screen AND a real keyboard in something that fits in my pocket.
  7.    #7  
    I have no interest in a clamshell. For me, the con's outweigh the pro's.

It's become clear, though, that elements like functionality are not at the top of most people's lists (as opposed to folks who frequent these forums). Most people don't care that they can do 1001 things with a Treo if another phone allows them to, let's say... do 10 things with a really pretty casing that comes in different colors... or just looks like a phone (instead of a computer).

I thought that some of you might've picked up on the same thing, but maybe your experiences have been very different than mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I have no interest in a clamshell. For me, the con's outweigh the pro's.

It's become clear, though, that elements like functionality are not at the top of most people's lists (as opposed to folks who frequent these forums). Most people don't care that they can do 1001 things with a Treo if another phone allows them to, let's say... do 10 things with a really pretty casing that comes in different colors... or just looks like a phone (instead of a computer).

I thought that some of you might've picked up on the same thing, but maybe your experiences have been very different than mine.
    No, you about summed it up.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I don't think the curve of the Pre brings anything to the table beyond aesthetics. The slider portion of the Pre seems nice though.
    The curve of the Pre makes it more 'phone like' when you are talking.
    Which i like. Hate talking on my iphone.
    I also think people will be surprised regarding how small the Pre is (when closed) as compared to iPhone or others.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I think the "clamshell-ishness" is not important at all. Except for the fact that thanks to that it has a fysical keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    The curve of the Pre makes it more 'phone like' when you are talking.
    I, for one, would tend to keep the slider closed when talking. I prefer my phones to be on the small side.
    I dont think I will join you. I like them a bit longer. Even if the Mic is located higher on the body the phone being longer and curving towards my jaw feels more comfortable and natural to me.

Not to mention the best part about any slider, hanging up by sliding the phone closed! It is almost as good as hanging up an old school phone with a nice decisive click.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I had read how the Pre's design is shaped for talking, but I never really thought about that. Do sliders have that functionality like a flip phone to answer the phone by sliding it out and hanging up by sliding it closed?

That'd be awesome, I have never used a slider phone before. But one thing I don't like about touch-screen phones is they all mainly are forced to have the same iPhone-type design.

I like the Pre's design. I don't want it to just be a 3.something inch screen with a button at the bottom. Boring.

I don't use Bluetooth, and refuse to, so that the phone will be comfortable to hold when talking is a plus.
  16.    #16  
    A slider helps keep you from accidentally doing SOME stuff, but with both a T3 and the Pre, there's touchscreen stuff available that can be accidentally triggered in your pocket. So it's not as locked down as a clamshell. Unless you lock the device, which is more hassle than opening a clamshell.

Don't get me wrong - I don't especially WANT a clamshell. It's just that screen protection and prevention of accidental actions are the only things that design has that seem special to me.

Aesthetically - pretty much a wash for me. The iPhone doesn't remind me of a cheap candybar style phone just because it doesn't fold/slide. The Pre doesn't look sexy just because it's a slider, or that the keyboard curves out.

The Pre form factor excites me because I get a big screen AND a real keyboard in something that fits in my pocket.
    For what it's worth, I wouldn't expect too many accidental triggers due to the Pre's capacitive touchscreen. After all, a key push ought to be ignored in favor of an actual finger. Maybe someone with iPhone experience can confirm.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdfierro View Post
    I had read how the Pre's design is shaped for talking, but I never really thought about that. Do sliders have that functionality like a flip phone to answer the phone by sliding it out and hanging up by sliding it closed?

That'd be awesome, I have never used a slider phone before. But one thing I don't like about touch-screen phones is they all mainly are forced to have the same iPhone-type design.

I like the Pre's design. I don't want it to just be a 3.something inch screen with a button at the bottom. Boring.

I don't use Bluetooth, and refuse to, so that the phone will be comfortable to hold when talking is a plus.
    What prompts your Bluetooth refusal?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I just don't get it. I tried it once already knowing I don't like it.

I'm so used to holding the phone. I don't drive. And people look very weird when wearing them. Have you seen those beer commercials with Bluetooth?

That's just my opinion. I have no problem with earphones, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdfierro View Post
    I just don't get it. I tried it once already knowing I don't like it.

I'm so used to holding the phone. I don't drive. And people look very weird when wearing them. Have you seen those beer commercials with Bluetooth?

That's just my opinion. I have no problem with earphones, though.
    I've tried a couple bluetooth headsets briefly and didn't much like them, mostly because it never felt secure on my head, flapping around when I moved. I use an over-the-head headset on my desk phone and like it. Haven't found something similar that's bluetooth. Not "cool enough" I guess.

But having bluetooth built into my Prius' audio system is the bomb. I love being able to make or answer a quick call while driving without having to pull over to juggle with a phone.
    I like the Pre form factor. The iPhone is too long for my taste. The Pre seems to be about the size of the BB Curve, perfect for me except for the smaller screen necessitated by the exposed keyboard.

By the way I currently use the king of smartphone clamshells, the BB. It's a great phone.

The fact that the Pre mic is on the bottom of the screen portion of the phone has been alluded to. So sliding would only serve to balance out the weight of the phone, and seems a contrived waste of time to me. It's not going to get the mic closer to your mouth. I can see the future thread now, "How do you take calls on your Pre?"

However bryanharig, you are correct. One of my favorite things about my BB Flip is open to answer calls, and of course the "Flop" snap shut to end, one handed of course. I sometimes add a touch of drama by turning my head ever so slightly to the left as I close it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast