Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    The fact that the Pre mic is on the bottom of the screen portion of the phone has been alluded to. So sliding would only serve to balance out the weight of the phone, and seems a contrived waste of time to me. It's not going to get the mic closer to your mouth.
    I dunno. Extending the length of the device could result in allowing both the mic and the speaker to reach the mouth and ear, respectively.

I know my Treo isn't right by my mouth. (Not saying it needs to be, but, with the exception of those who all but swallow their phones, closer is better.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I dunno. Extending the length of the device could result in allowing both the mic and the speaker to reach the mouth and ear, respectively.
    If the mic is on the front of the screen portion of the Pre, then extending the KB portion won't change the distance between mic and speaker - it'll just give you the illusion that you're talking into the KB.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    If the mic is on the front of the screen portion of the Pre, then extending the KB portion won't change the distance between mic and speaker - it'll just give you the illusion that you're talking into the KB.
    From what I remember from the last video I watched, you may be right about the mic placement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Now that we are on the subject, how dumb was that? Why not on the bottom of the keyboard portion (like my old Curve), which would have worked in both open and closed positions? Sound quality is always improved, is it not, when the mic is closer to the source?

It seems that the marketing of the sexy "not a Pop-Tart" against your face curvature of the Pre is just that, and does nothing to improve the call quality.
    I like the Pre form factor. The iPhone is too long for my taste.
    The Pre, with the keyboard extended, is ~1" longer than the iPhone it would appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The Pre, with the keyboard extended, is ~1" longer than the iPhone it would appear.
    Yes it is. But I won't be putting it in my pocket that way. My BB Flip opened is 7 inches long!

I mostly look at stuff on my smartphone, or make or receive calls. I'll only need the keyboard, well, to enter stuff. No problem. Case closed!
    Last edited by galavanter; 03/18/2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Now that we are on the subject, how dumb was that? Why not on the bottom of the keyboard portion (like my old Curve), which would have worked in both open and closed positions? Sound quality is always improved, is it not, when the mic is closer to the source?

It seems that the marketing of the sexy "not a Pop-Tart" against your face curvature of the Pre is just that, and does nothing to improve the call quality.
    The curve of the extended keyboard will act to block the microphone from wind and background noise.

As for the microphone placement, I am sure there are multiple reasons. Off the top of my head putting it at the bottom of the keyboard would cause feed back when typing while on the speaker phone. It is also a much more thin part of the phone, they might face challenges getting the mic in there and keeping it as sturdy as it needs to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    The curve of the extended keyboard will act to block the microphone from wind and background noise.
    You're saying a ~1" x 2.35" plastic extension nearly parallel to the rest of the phone will somehow block wind and background noise? Interesting...

As for the microphone placement, I am sure there are multiple reasons. Off the top of my head putting it at the bottom of the keyboard would cause feed back when typing while on the speaker phone. It is also a much more thin part of the phone, they might face challenges getting the mic in there and keeping it as sturdy as it needs to be.
    Let's not forget the most likely case: Palm plain just didn't think about putting the mic where it might do the most good.
    I give the Pre very high marks on physical design, both in function and innovativeness and aesthetics.

the ability to give the bigger screen (although it could be bigger) yet have the hard keyboard that can be hidden is a real functional benefit.

The fact that it is innovate per se, and frankly beautiful, should not be dismissed as this does give value to the consumer. to think otherwise would be to think that newness or beauty of design offers no consumer value n a car, or a watch.
    You're saying a ~1" x 2.35" plastic extension nearly parallel to the rest of the phone will somehow block wind and background noise? Interesting...
    There i s actually something to this going to the use of cdma but not about wind per se as I recall. I don't recall the technical reasons but I do remember it being asserted years ago that the very short candy bars popular on gsm were not well adaptable to cdma for the reason that cdma neeed the mic closer. I don't know if this was striclky true but I recall it being asserted.
    are people really going to slide open the phone to receive a call? That just doesn't make sense to me unless it's already open since you don't need to open it to talk.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I prefer not to have a slider and not to have a full length screen. I'd prefer to have a flip that's half screen half keyboard. Give me a cross between the Bold and the Samsung i500. When it's closed, everything is protected and a small external screen can give you the basics. When it's open it's like a traditional phone. It can rest on a table to watch video if need be without holding it. They tend to have great balance when open.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I'm pretty sure the main purpose of the curvature when open is balance/screen angle while typing on the keyboard.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but is it known for sure that the Pre works like other sliders (I've never had one), in that it answers on open and ends on close?
  14.    #34  
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but is it known for sure that the Pre works like other sliders (I've never had one), in that it answers on open and ends on close?
    I don't know.

I've seen nothing to support that notion, but I've also seen nothing to contradict it.

Y'know, I was thinking about the days when *I* actually liked clamshell phones. One thing I liked was the ability to hang up the phone by closing it ... or to answer a calling by opening the phone.

But then, I began to dislike the very same feature. I found that, if I accidentally closed the phone OR if I NEEDED to close it, for some reason, I couldn't do so because it would hang up on my caller.

That left me in the awkward position of having to walk around (if I were in a mall or whatever) with an open clamshell phone in my hand(s), keeping me from doing other things. (I was using earpieces waybackwhen.)

I began to strongly dislike that aspect of clamshells and was glad to be rid of it.

For this reason, I've mixed feelings about whether I want the Pre to answer calls by extending the slider (and vice-versa). Maybe a option that lets one choose to turn on or turn off such a feature would be helpful?
    it might be able to, but I believe it doesn't have to be opened or closed to answer or end a call. I believe it acts like all the other touch only type phones (iphone, instinct, vue, omnia, touch and so on)
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    There i s actually something to this going to the use of cdma but not about wind per se as I recall. I don't recall the technical reasons but I do remember it being asserted years ago that the very short candy bars popular on gsm were not well adaptable to cdma for the reason that cdma neeed the mic closer. I don't know if this was striclky true but I recall it being asserted.
    CDMA has noise cancelation built in. It does a much better job on background noise then IDEN or GSM.

Let's not forget the most likely case: Palm plain just didn't think about putting the mic where it might do the most good.
    Yes, I am. Think about how you will be holding and using the phone when you are talking. The mic will not be perfectly shielded from all angles but I think that it will help.
    Yes, I am. Think about how you will be holding and using the phone when you are talking. The mic will not be perfectly shielded from all angles but I think that it will help.
    I see your point, but I would tend to think that it would create more of a windtunnel effect. There's just enough space for air to be routed along the contours of your face right past the mic. I probably will never talk on the phone with the keyboard out anyway.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Has it been verified by anyone yet if the slider is spring loaded?
    A quote from the Gizmodo page:

Palm Pre: The Definitive FAQ

"The hinge design is smooth, though it would have been nicer to have a spring-loaded design—it does not."

pity..
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    my i500 could be answered closed, could be closed while on a call, and not picked up until after hitting the send button. You had options how to handle it. So I often kept the phone in my holster while using the earpiece and would open the flip to see who's calling before pressing send to answer. Not sure if all clamshells gave those options.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Y'know, I was thinking about the days when *I* actually liked clamshell phones. One thing I liked was the ability to hang up the phone by closing it ... or to answer a calling by opening the phone.

But then, I began to dislike the very same feature. I found that, if I accidentally closed the phone OR if I NEEDED to close it, for some reason, I couldn't do so because it would hang up on my caller.

That left me in the awkward position of having to walk around (if I were in a mall or whatever) with an open clamshell phone in my hand(s), keeping me from doing other things. (I was using earpieces waybackwhen.)

I began to strongly dislike that aspect of clamshells and was glad to be rid of it.

For this reason, I've mixed feelings about whether I want the Pre to answer calls by extending the slider (and vice-versa). Maybe a option that lets one choose to turn on or turn off such a feature would be helpful?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast