Page 1 of 25 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You know whatever Apple annonces tomorrow its going to be hyped and seen as a hit on the Pre.

Ex - cut/paste, new UI features, web contact integration, etc..

I still think that there's alot of people who won't buy an iPhone based on lack of physical keyboard, replaceable battery (not as big), on At&T only in US, and the fact its Apple!

Also it would help if Sprint\Palm's next event contains some more useful info.

Release date and price?
    Are you kidding?

This is already a hit FOR the Pre.

Think about it. For two years now, EVERY feature phone or smartphone that has come out has been compared to the iPhone. Now, with the announcement of this iPhone 3.0 OS the first rumors that come out compare IT to something...the Palm Pre. They're not saying it might have TouchPro2-like features or N97-like features or Toshiba TG01-like features.

And if the iPhone 3.0 has them, even better. Every hands-on or final review will mention the Palm Pre, which is just more free advertising for Palm. And this in turn will only make it more attractive to the 49 million existing Sprint customers. Palm and/or Sprint needs maybe four percent of them to buy the phone initially, and it is a HUGE hit. Then, it launches on other carriers to a similar reception, Palm releases more models, and everybody is happy.
    That's being quite optimistic, but I concur. I just hope it works like you said!
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
  4.    #4  
    "This is already a hit FOR the Pre."

I say " a hit on the Pre", meaning will it be seen as bad for Palm. But I guess you are making the point that's any news is good news when it comes to the Pre.
    Agreed that it can be a good thing to have it's name mentioned alongside Apple's (since not so many have even heard of the Pre yet), but at the same time, I hope that Palm has some news tomorrow after the event or Wednesday to counter the hype.

Though there are too many who follow Apple (not referring to anyone here for the record) blindly for them to even consider the Pre, but I don't expect them to switch to anything other than some possible new iPhone anyway.
    Too bad the GSM Pre won't be available in the US for a while, yet the 3rd gen iPhone will be. Hopefully the Euro version will be a hit.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post

I say " a hit on the Pre", meaning will it be seen as bad for Palm. But I guess you are making the point that's any news is good news when it comes to the Pre.
    No, I wouldn't say that. I thought the Webinar was a complete dud all the way around.

But Apple shining its spotlight on Palm, even if it's to steal, is a very good thing. They've ignored every other iPhone "challenger" to date including the G1, the Storm, the Omnia, and (tee hee) the Instinct. If the Pre is the first phone to make them blink and turn their heads, you better believe that's a good omen for Palm. An iPhone ripping off its features isn't going to make Sprint customers leave when they can get the real thing without porting numbers or paying ETFs. That's where Palm must succeed before all other things.
    Last edited by mikah912; 03/16/2009 at 02:28 PM.

He means the tables are turned, in that now the iPhone is getting compared to the Pre instead of the iPhone being the one to look up to. That IS good.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    Why was this moved? Its mainly about the Pre not Apple.
    Why was this moved? Its mainly about the Pre not Apple.
    back in Pre forum.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I think it'd be rather humerous, but I doubt it'll happen, if Pam out apples Apple in regards to releasing some kind of information a few hours before the 3.0 announcement. A few partner programs set for lauch, SDK launch date, price, hell a specific date that they'll be announcing the launch date and price. Anything really to take the wind out of Apple's sails and get dual headlines like Apple did.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    APPLE might announce that they will be after PALM as a side note.
    Its a good day for consumers though. Having Apple and Palm battle it out is good for all of us in the end.
    Just out of curiosity, I posted to the Palm twitter to see what they'd say, though I didn't expect much from how guarded they are:

@palm_inc as someone who is very excited for the Pre... i hope you have some plan to counteract all of the Apple news tomorrow...
    and they replied:

@jhoff80 Our basic plan (re: competitors) is two-fold: (1) Deliver Pre in the first half of 09, and (b) deliver Pre in the first half of 09.
    Aka, they told me absolutely nothing.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Should be a good day. OS 3 is simply the iPhone catching up to the Pre and it's features, but leaving out multitasking (THE BIGGEST ONE) and MMS (another huge one).

In a month, you'll have iPhone 1,2 w/ OS 3...and then a month later you'll the Pre come out with everything OS3 has but multitasking, mms, and a keyboard..and a plan $50 cheaper a month than AT&T's...you will see some people switching.
    Well the Pre also has significant hardware advantages which no OS upgrade can fix - a physical keyboard for those who prefer one, and a removable battery.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I saw a rumor of video recording finally added to the 3rd gen iPhone, and another rumor about there being none on the Pre. I don't know how accurate either are though.

18. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphlin View Post
    i think it'd be rather humerous, but i doubt it'll happen, if pam out apples apple in regards to releasing some kind of information a few hours before the 3.0 announcement. A few partner programs set for lauch, sdk launch date, price, hell a specific date that they'll be announcing the launch date and price. Anything really to take the wind out of apple's sails and get dual headlines like apple did.
    +1.........
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But Apple shining its spotlight on Palm,
    I think more of what they are doing is shining their spotlight on Rim etc.
    The idea they are shining it on Pre com s from a veiwpoint bias we have of searching for Pre news.

I have read about 50 articles on Apples announcement and haven't read anything saying it is a reaction to Pre, except the Rose statements which only reflect a tiny bit of the Apple announcement coverage.

So if you are looking for mentions of the Pe in the Apple announcement coverage you find it, but in the big picture it is minuscule and less than other devices such as Rim Android, etc.

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...view-march-17/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10197342-37.html
    You know whatever Apple annonces tomorrow its going to be hyped and seen as a hit on the Pre.

Ex - cut/paste, new UI features, web contact integration, etc..

I still think that there's alot of people who won't buy an iPhone based on lack of physical keyboard, replaceable battery (not as big), on At&T only in US, and the fact its Apple!

Also it would help if Sprint\Palm's next event contains some more useful info.

Release date and price?
    Bad day for the Pre would be iPhone coming to Sprint next week.

iPhone is just marketed in a sleek way... that is what separates iPhone from everyone else... I know several people with the iphone and most are still looking for the perfect device... the rest have already moved on...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 1 of 25 12345611 ... LastLast