Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I have to admit...

A2DP
    Push IM
    Cut and Paste
    MMS
    Landscape Keyboard

The promise of those things and the ability to get the iPhone NOW and get that in June or so may just cause me to go ahead and go the iPhone route rather than continue to wait on the Pre.
    You do know that the OS will not be available until june right?
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Apple is like a steam roller. They might not be fast. But they just keep on going and going with new features. This is clearly a 3.0 product. They started with pretty basic foundation at 1.0 and have been building a lot slower then people wanted but the end result is a monster.
    hang on , did you say they might not be fast ?
    Hmm, you have to go back two years to see what they have done with this whole iPhone thing.

They are the fastest company out there in the mobile world , look at the way them have come up with the first phone, the 3G and now the 3.0 update.
    Not to mention 1000 APIs.
    Not THAT bad, all in all, but I think these notifications are going to pose a problem eventually. I shant be ponying up the dough to "update" my iPod Touch.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    will have tethering support too.......
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    True cardfan. The thing you have to consider is I imagine there are a number of people that stayed away from the iPhone simply because of many of those features most phone have.

I'm one of them. A2DP was a major reason for me. An inability to even do something like have an IM app running in the background was a reason. Cut and Paste just mostly annoyed me. I'm not a fan of a virtual keyboard, but having it able to be done in landscape more often helps with that.

To act like the iPhone has nothing over the Pre but the apps is a bit over the top. The simplicity of the itunes interface is a bonsu. The bigger screen for some is a bonus. Possability for larger built in memory is a bonus for some. The availability of a large amount of accessories is important for some. Not being on Sprint is important to some (not really me). The seemingly better media and gaming possabilities are important to some.

The worst thing Pre fans can do is act like over the top, holier than thou, Apple fans talking down every other object like its a POS that can't compare to their glowing god the Pre...before its even released!

This wasn't an earth shattering conference, but it wasn't a "good" conference from a Palm point of view either I'd imagine.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Umm..all they did was add a few features common in every phone? Still pales to the Pre except for apps right now. Easy for Palm to catch up there though.

This was what i expected. A lame 3.0 update. No multitasking, a lame search, copy n paste, mms. And of course a million popups waiting for you to dismiss.

No thanks..
    Yep, it added features that other phones have. Let me know when those other phones have the features the iPhone has. Somehow, I knew you would be dissapointed. I am very happy. Only thing on my list that I really wanted but didn't get was a unified inbox.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Palm has to be pretty excited over this update.... none of the core features of the pre were really copied outside of universal search (and even then apples implementation doesnt even look as good because its a separate section and not start typing like the pre)
    As a previous iPhone owner considering checking it out again, I won't be. The biggest issue for me was background apps or multitasking, and 3.0 will not bring that. I believe Pre's biggest advantage will be multitasking or running background apps.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    now you are jumping on the Ihpone wagon......I recommend taking some meds.
    No, I'm being objective and actually providing some discussion as to my thoughts instead of just going around insulting people non-stop like yourself.

Since I've been on this forum I've been upfront with my thought process. I was going to buy an iPhone despite being annoyed by some of its deficiencies, saw CES for the Pre, saw that it had a number of the things I missed on the iPhone, so I've waited.

This conference has fixed a few of the things the Pre had a "1 up" on the iPhone on and some of the things I was annoyed were missing on the iPhone, as I listed above.

Does that mean I'm definitely going to buy an iPhone? No. But I'm much closer to that point than I was previous to this, where I was almost certain I was going to wait until the Pre came out to at least get to try it in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    You do know that the OS will not be available until june right?
    I know, I also know its likely the Pre won't be out till sometime in June as well.

Currently, I have a HTC Diamond and am just not that happy with it. While there are things about an iPhone right now I'm not happy with, I'd still be happier with the iPhone than I would be with my Diamond. The thing that has kept me from purchasing it when I was going to was the CES presentation of the Pre. With some of the things I disliked about the iPhone slated to be added around the time the Pre would be coming out, the appeal of possibly getting an iPhone NOW and dumping my Diamond since I know those things are coming is increased. Don't know for sure that I'll do it, but I'm more apt to now than I was a week ago.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    this is just the software.........Hardware is going to be updated, then what will be the advantage for Pre?

Palm better bring that Pre out ASAP.
    Ehh..i don't really care. I already was right on in predictions for most part. And so it was lame. Apple didn't do anything to blow me away here is all.

I've already said stuff like MMS, turn by turn maps, would be the most value added stuff. And that they wouldn't have multitasking. They did what they needed to do for the dumbphone users.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    what would multitasking do for you? expand?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazytexan View Post
    As a previous iPhone owner considering checking it out again, I won't be. The biggest issue for me was background apps or multitasking, and 3.0 will not bring that. I believe Pre's biggest advantage will be multitasking or running background apps.
    Yeah, it seemed almost like they took two steps forward and one step back.

On one hand, you get new functionality in the apps, and a lot of new apps coming in and such. But on the other, you can only run ONE of these apps at once, and on top of that, the game and IM notifications stop what you're doing cold.

Cut and paste, MMS, and a landscape keyboard just bring it on par with everybody else.
    So the real question for me as an iPhone user that is considering the Pre is......

does the Pre's true multi-tasking, better notification, and keyboard make me want to give up a bigger screen, awesome 3rd party apps, itunes integration, ability to use the phone in Europe, 16 gigs of space.

I think so far the answer is no for me. Maybe when Palm shows us more I will be convinced.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So the real question for me as an iPhone user that is considering the Pre is......

does the Pre's true multi-tasking, better notification, and keyboard make me want to give up a bigger screen, awesome 3rd party apps, itunes integration, ability to use the phone in Europe, 16 gigs of space.

I think so far the answer is no for me. Maybe when Palm shows us more I will be convinced.
    Couldn't you have answered this question back in January, tho? Apple didn't show anything today to tip any of these scales in their favor.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Really? Hardware is going to be updated so the pre needs to come out soon? When is the hardware going to be updated? Before June? What are those updates going to be? Have some sources for that?
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yeah, it seemed almost like they took two steps forward and one step back.

On one hand, you get new functionality in the apps, and a lot of new apps coming in and such. But on the other, you can only run ONE of these apps at once, and on top of that, the game and IM notifications stop what you're doing cold.

Cut and paste, MMS, and a landscape keyboard just bring it on par with everybody else.
    I am lost......what is all this stuff you guys want to be doing at once on your phones?

You can listen to music and surf the web........seems like anything else is no big deal and is a once in a great while thing.
    Sorry, i don't want apps that send popups wanting to know if i'd like to buy something... You can keep those apps

It truly is turning into the AOL phone. Funny how the original iphone won't have MMS. Apple isn't stupid.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post

yup. I agree with you......my decision to get an Iphone is very close, now I just want to know when the new hardware is coming?

Iphones hardware has been updated every summer so far.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Couldn't you have answered this question back in January, tho? Apple didn't show anything today to tip any of these scales in their favor.
    That depends if any of the things Apple showed today would've been on the "pro" list for the Pre back in January.

For example, prior to today "A2DP" was one of the things listed on the "pro" side for the Pre since I use my Smartphone literally as my multipurpose device...cell phone, pda, and media player.
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast