Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I don't really believe this is a good thing at all for the Pre. We have less features to brag about now.

I think we're going to take a pretty hard hit on this one. Palm will do fine in the end though. I just think it may be harder to grab early adopters who want the fanciest phone on the market.
    Agree and Disagree. I agree in the fact that it COULD be bad if Palm 1.) misses their target day (ideally they NEED to get this out prior to apple launching OS3) and 2.) Palm does what we have historically become accustomed too - releasing a buggy device. I do not believe #2 will happen this time, not with all the talent they have on board.

I will say Apple obviously has some concern about the Pre, as this is the FIRST phone for them to mention. I do think the Pre will stand on its merits once released, but it has to go as flawless as the CES announcement did...........(fingers crossed)
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    OS X is not a good operating system? Compared to what?
    Anything.

OSX is a tool/toy more than a real operating system.
    I meant a failure technology-wise, as in no MMS, no copy and paste, no video recording, no bluetooth sync, etc. as compared to all other new phones. Yet it did better than many of the other phones, except Blackberries it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post

If only I could have failures like that in everything I do!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Anything.

OSX is a tool/toy more than a real operating system.
    You mean the mobile version only, right? The full version is excellent IMO. But Apple and their new weird hardware is putting me off!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    When I was due for my upgrade from Sprint last July I called all the carriers to compare features and prices. Honestly I really wanted the iphone 3g. I have 3 lines, share 1500 minutes and everything else is unlimited including gps. I pay $150 (minus my corporate discount) a month. At AT&T the same plan would have cost me $220. That $70 was enough to "just say no". I'd like to see the Pre succeed so I could have another option with Sprint.
    Welp, today is the day. Anyone else going to be watching the video when its up or be reading the live blog? I know I will just to see what new items they will have in 3.0 I especially want to see that Diggnation friend of "Pre features" features he was talking about.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    I think it's hilarious it's taken this long to get cut'n'paste onto the iPhone and it's one of the most talked about features of OS 3.0 No other company could have got away with leaving out such a basic feature for so long.
    I couldn't agree more. I think apple puts out some great software on first releases, but their lack of keeping up with the competition confuses me. They seem to only focus on "the next product" and seem to leave no resources for existing development. Be sure when when apple finally releases bluray support for osx, they will have a huge media event and say something like "(steve job voice)we here at apple having been working hard on something amazing in the background and today I am proud to announce all new mac/iMac/macbook models will ship with bluray". He'll go into a long drawn out speech how amazing it is and even try to pawn it off like they invented something.

iPhone 3.0 will no doubt have new features, but it will be nothing that shouldn't have or couldn't have been available for 2.0 release ... The pre ui / features will still be ahead of the iPhone. Count on it!
    I agree that no current Blu-ray support makes no sense whatsover. "Bag of hurt" to license, LOL! I read Apple is on the Blu Ray association board!

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    The sad thing is that it took 3 generations to get to where they are at.
    How many generations in on thet Handheld PC/PocketPC/Windows Mobile OS are we and still have issues?

How many generations of POS were we on and what generation didn't have issues any longer?

WebOS could even be seen as the evolutionary step from POS and building off of over a decade of experience with handheld operating systems.

Considering that, aside from the newton years upon years ago, this was the first handheld OS for Apple they're doing alright for themselves.
    Agreed, Zyph.

I think mobile OSX is an astounding first effort that really reset the bar for touchscreen technology, visual pizazz, and intuitiveness. It may be feature-poor and rather cumbersome sometimes (still takes too many taps to do some basic features), but it made a hell of a first impression, and still does.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    they can hype cut & paste as much as they want, but when dust settles, and when buyer enters the store....

tomorrow, anything short of true multi-tasking will be a final failure.
    ordinary users understand cut + paste

true mullti-tasking ???

no way
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Umm...ordinary iphone users aren't really into cut n paste either. Or multitasking. Even flash..something that would really help but the average user knows little about.

MMS would have the biggest impact IMO. Video recording. Better camera. Turn by turn gps. These are the things that would bring the value to dumbphone users still on the ropes to switching.

I think there's just two different points of view altogether. Those of us (and we are by far the minority) with years of smartphone experience and those who merely stepped into the iphone world from using dumbphones. These two different sets have different needs and are influenced differently.

So when apple decides what to do, they have to take into account who the majority is while also keeping in mind which market is shrinking and which is growing. I don't think yet apple needs to worry about us tech guys this year, but they need to have it in mind because that time is coming when we'll be the majority.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Agreed, Zyph.

I think mobile OSX is an astounding first effort that really reset the bar for touchscreen technology, visual pizazz, and intuitiveness. It may be feature-poor and rather cumbersome sometimes (still takes too many taps to do some basic features), but it made a hell of a first impression, and still does.
    Yeah, I can remember back to my old Compaq Aero WinCE machine where I actually had a start menu to open my programs and can think of how far WinMo has came along. And despite it they still, almost a decade later, are still dealing with the complaint that you can't natively close a program with a single click.

All things considered, Apple did a fine job for a first generation OS interface. Palm brought us simplicity, WinCE brought us multi-tasking, PPC brought us large customization, and the iPhone brought us please aesthetics and touch focus.

That's actually one of the biggest credits I'll give to Apple. They looked to the Palm philosophy of Simplicity and decided to take it a step forward, not only trying to keep it simple for the masses but to try and market/design it to ALSO appeal to the masses.

People like to harp on the iPhone for being "fanboyish" and their followers being Zombies who buy an inferior product...and perhaps they're right. But that's not a fault of Apple, that's a positive as seen by the legion of Apps in their app store in such a short time and all the iPhone/Pod-centric accessories. If you know how to market the device to the masses you sell more and that helps your product. Palm and Microsoft should take note of the mastery of Apple's marketing and design rather than turn their nose up at it.
    I would say of that fanboism came from being the underdog in the pc market. MS is by far the leader but there is appeal in straying away from the norm that Macs offer.

Iphone is different. The most popular phone. There isn't this underdog tone and everyone can get one. It's more of a honeymoon period because its still new. The real test is down the road. But enter the Pre. This is a cool looking gadget by a small company that can benefit the way Macs do in the pc market. It's straying away from the norm which is becoming the iphone.
    Apple also had the benefit of fantastic timing. Think of how stagnant the smartphone and feature phone world was in 2007 when the iPhone dropped. All of the major OSes (e.g. Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Garnet) had been around for years without major revisions. Form factors were pretty sterile, too, and media (audio and video) playing on headsets was almost entirely in the hand of third party developer apps that people had to seek out.

But that's been the iPhone's gift to the rest of the mobile world...you can't afford to sit around with stagnant product lines anymore.
    While I would love to have every feature possible on my iPhone, I am willing to live without some in return for what I consider the best mobile experience in existence. What the iPhone does well, makes me put up with whats missing.

I love the integration with the itunes store for apps, music, and video. I love the 3rd party apps, and the method used to load them on the device. I love generous 16 gig of space. I love the huge screen for web browsing. I love the media player.

Every time I switch to another device to test (some with a lot more features), I always find myself coming back to the iPhone. Maybe the Pre will let me permanently leave the iPhone. I doubt it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I love the integration with the itunes store for apps, music, and video. I love the 3rd party apps, and the method used to load them on the device. I love generous 16 gig of space. I love the huge screen for web browsing. I love the media player.
    I agree with all of this, but what's striking is what's missing...namely the PHONE functions (e.g. dialing, contacts) and smartphone functions (e.g. PIM, robust email).

That's why I consider it the best mobile MEDIA experience, but hardly the best mobile experience. iPod Touch = greatness. iPhone = not quite.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    ordinary users understand cut + paste
    true mullti-tasking ???
    no way
    100% correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    OS X is not that great... neither is the iphone... but steve jobs can make you want to buy something... when he leaves, apple dies. lol
    I seriously disagree. It is an entire ecosystem and brand it will be around and profoundly dominant when Palm is long gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    While I would love to have every feature possible on my iPhone, I am willing to live without some in return for what I consider the best mobile experience in existence. What the iPhone does well, makes me put up with whats missing.

Every time I switch to another device to test (some with a lot more features), I always find myself coming back to the iPhone. Maybe the Pre will let me permanently leave the iPhone. I doubt it though.
    iPhone is also a great phone.

It also came out just after the smartphone makret started to greatly increase all the other makers were creating huge advances in OS and for factors, so smartphones were on everyone's minds.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I agree with all of this, but what's striking is what's missing...namely the PHONE functions (e.g. dialing, contacts) and smartphone functions (e.g. PIM, robust email).

That's why I consider it the best mobile MEDIA experience, but hardly the best mobile experience. iPod Touch = greatness. iPhone = not quite.

I can live with the current PIM (and will be taking a look at Pocket Informant when its released). There is no way I'm ever going back to carrying two devices. So again, I will live with some missing features on the iPhone for in my mind having the best integrated device available.
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast