Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Neither one is the smoothest in operation. In my opinion, WinMo wins when it comes to cut, copy and paste. But, pressing the shift key does seem a little odd to select the text for copying.
    I had a vertical slider (WM) phone once. I hated it. This it was scares me most about the Pre.

How do I type in a web address if I am browsing horizontally?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I had a vertical slider (WM) phone once. I hated it. This it was scares me most about the Pre.

How do I type in a web address if I am browsing horizontally?
    This "scares" you about the Pre, and yet the iPhone's lack of landscape keyboard usage across the OS is inconsequential and you have nothing but raves about it?

Good to know you're comparing them fairly and without bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This "scares" you about the Pre, and yet the iPhone's lack of landscape keyboard usage across the OS is inconsequential and you have nothing but raves about it?

That was one of my biggest requests about iPhone 3.0. I am glad that Apple is including it in email, sms, mms, and notes now. I already have been using it in my IM program.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

Mobileman did say while browsing and the current iPhone OS does have landscape keyboard in Safari.

I complained heavily about the keyboard when I first got my iPhone. I wanted landscape real bad, but, the more I used it (less than a week) I had no problems with the portrait keyboard. I have a program for landscape keyboard for email and I rarely use it. I have found that my typing is just fine with the portrait keyboard.

While I have no problems with the keyboard on the iPhone, I am very curious about the Pre. I do think I can type a little better on a tactile keyboard. I did have problems on my Centro, so, I hope the Pre's keyboard is closer to the 800W. I don't have any problems on it.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 03/20/2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Mobileman did say while browsing and the current iPhone OS does have landscape keyboard in Safari.
    thanks.

Using the keyboard in landscape is great on the iPhone. I use it everyday in my Beejive IM program and ofcourse in safari.

I complained heavily about the keyboard when I first got my iPhone. I wanted landscape real bad, but, the more I used it (less than a week) I had no problems with the portrait keyboard. I have a program for landscape keyboard for email and I rarely use it. I have found that my typing is just fine with the portrait keyboard.

While I have no problems with the keyboard on the iPhone, I am very curious about the Pre. I do think I can type a little better on a tactile keyboard. I did have problems on my Centro, so, I hope the Pre's keyboard is closer to the 800W. I don't have any problems on it.
    I think the Pre's keyboard is similar to the Pro. Which in my opinion is terrible.
    Honestly, typing on the iphone is pretty good (much faster actually) for text, just not specific things like url's or passwords. I type much slower on any landscape version kb...go figure.

Remains to be seen how i'll like the Pre slider kb. But apple is to be credited with their kb..only virtual one i've found tolerable.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I think the keyboard looks more like my 700p than a centro.

Look at his picture here.

Got the slight curve in it and about the same amount of space between keys. Looks like the keys themselves are shorter but rounder...the people that have used it have said the keyboard is fine. Now is the keys themselves are the same as what is on the treo pro and you don't like the feel of the keys then maybe there are problems...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Honestly, typing on the iphone is pretty good (much faster actually) for text, just not specific things like url's or passwords. I type much slower on any landscape version kb...go figure.

Remains to be seen how i'll like the Pre slider kb. But apple is to be credited with their kb..only virtual one i've found tolerable.
    At first I dislike the landscape keyboard. The spacing didn't fell right. Now I love it and have a very hard time using the portrait keyboard for anything but quick replies.

After some practice I find myself typing much faster and more error free then compared to the Blackberry I also use.
  10.    #470  
    Only thing I know is the Pre keyboard looks better that the Centro's and its sounds like it could be possible to do a landscape virtual keybd on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Yeah, I think I type faster on the iphone then I ever did on any of my treos. Although as you said, once you need to do anything other then type normal words everything slows to a crawl....

As with the iphone, I think the pre could use a dpad. Editing notes with out it are painful. Hopefully in the next palm webos version will have one. Waiting for software to realize that I want to move my cursor, animate, and then try to drop it where I want is just silly and slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Only thing I know is the Pre keyboard looks better that the Centro's and its sounds like it could be possible to do a landscape virtual keybd on the Pre.
    Palm never indicated or has shown a virtual keyboard. In fact they make it sound like one of the Pre's biggest advantages is the hard keyboard, so I doubt highly you will see a virtual one.

It might work, but I have often found sliders annoying in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by vtoe View Post
    As with the iphone, I think the pre could use a dpad. Editing notes with out it are painful. Hopefully in the next palm webos version will have one. Waiting for software to realize that I want to move my cursor, animate, and then try to drop it where I want is just silly and slow.
    You should try it on the Storm. Talk about painful.
    I have never used a Qwerty slider, but I have used the iPhone OSX keyboard extensively, and it is wretched. Auto-correction is no good for URLs, Google Map addresses, and other custom text spots, and that is where I spend...oh, 99 percent of my time typing stuff in on a phone. Useless.

Interestingly enough, I have big hands but love the Centro KB. I expect to love the Pre one more.
  15.    #475  
    Palm never indicated or has shown a virtual keyboard. In fact they make it sound like one of the Pre's biggest advantages is the hard keyboard, so I doubt highly you will see a virtual one.

It might work, but I have often found sliders annoying in the past.
    It dont expect Palm to do it. Can you say third party apps!
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    It dont expect Palm to do it. Can you say third party apps!

Somebody is going to write a 3rd party keyboard that will work system wide in JavaScript? Don't think so.
    Somebody is going to write a 3rd party keyboard that will work system wide in JavaScript? Don't think so.
    Right. I don't think this sort of thing (or home screen replacements, or various other "hack" style apps) will be possible with the programming model that will be initially available. We'll either need Palm to do it, or wait until they release an SDK for native app development so that others can.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ^ No we won't. I guarantee you that within weeks of Palm Pre's release there will be native apps running the device, whether Palm likes it or not. Same was the case with the iPhone 2G.
  19.    #479  
    I didnt say system wide. Palm even mention this in the demo's that its possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    ^ No we won't. I guarantee you that within weeks of Palm Pre's release there will be native apps running the device, whether Palm likes it or not. Same was the case with the iPhone 2G.
    Agree..I'm sure there will be people out there trying to get as much extra out of the phone as they can, it's inevitable that people will find ways around what comes originally or officially with the phones. We've seen it on the iPhone, we've even seen it on the G1, where they have hacked it for multi-touch. Maybe not within weeks, but someone will do it. I'm sure we'll see jailbroken Pre's eventually.
    Last edited by deleonj1225; 03/20/2009 at 02:48 PM.