Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Apple may have just announced Copy/Paste, but it blows the Pre implementation out.

Blows it out of what?
    The only original Palm I have left is my Vx, though I owned three older models. I still have my Kyo 6030 and Samsung i500 (still my favorite). Was it you that had an i550?

Palm is definitely a different breed now, and I'm not sure it's for better or worse, but time will tell. I do agree they needed to leave the PalmOS behind in favor of moving forward. I to would've liked to see the traditional Treo style instead of a slider. I think the BB Bold is the best iteration of that design, maximizing the screen size for the size of the device. Now throw in a touchscreen with the webOS and lighten it up a touch. Better yet, make it a flip (and so not like the Pearl), and I'd be a happier camper, though that's my i500 bias kicking in.

I would hope Colligan is more than just a figurehead. If I'm not mistaken it was Colligan, Hawkins and Dubinsky who were part of the USR Palm. When 3Com bought them they had lost so much control and left to create Handspring. Then with the merger of Palm and Handspring Colligan became the CEO. With those successes I would hope he has an important say in how things are moving forward. There is definitely a lot of outside influence that I don't necessarily agree with as well. I made references to football teams being put together to beat a certain team in their division or conference, but they don't match up well when they reach the superbowl. It's all iphone oriented when it doesn't have to be. I think they could've created a phone with more roots to the treo line and not just another iphone clone that does a few things better. I've voiced my opinion a few times about the advent of this phone leaving any old school Palm loyalty behind. Unfortunately I'm locked into Sprint so if the Pre isn't for me I'm stuck waiting for the next Touch (Rhodium) or the Android phone or stick with the Centro.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    crogs571, nice post. As an old-timer (I think I may still have my Palm 5000 in a box somewhere), I can certainly appreciate the fact that the Palm OS is very long in the tooth and yet was very successfully transformed into a highly efficient phone OS (thanks largely to Hawkins & Co at Handspring). One that still rivaled the latest and greatest WM OS in many respects, IMHO.

I'm not exactly sure what's been going on behind the scenes with webOS, though. As an old-timer, you might think that I should feel some nostalgia for Palm and want them to succeed as the underdog, but there's a lot of new faces there. Hawkins, Ben Combee, and I'm sure many other old-timers and original thinkers in the original Palm OS team are gone. Palm had some false starts with OS6 and the Foleo. And the Pre leaves any legacy compatibility behind (which I personally think is the right decision). And while they've kept the keyboard around, it's not "always there" anymore and the D-Pad is gone, resulting in a device that's no longer a "one-hand efficiency master." In other words, it lacks the soul of the old Palm OS / Treo and is more like an all-new device (and, in many ways, also feels like something designed to one-up the iPhone). While I had lots to complain about with Hawkins, I also had a great deal of respect for his accomplishments with the original Palm Pilot and the Treo line. Colligan is still around (right?) but I see him as just a suit (rightly or wrongly), and not someone I see as having any special creative impact on the Palm of today.

So while I wish Palm luck with the Pre for several reasons, the fact that I'm a Palm OS old-timer isn't really one of them. I sort of see the Palm OS that I had any emotional attachment to as finally now dying with the last of the Palm OS Garnet Treo line.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The only original Palm I have left is my Vx, though I owned three older models. I still have my Kyo 6030 and Samsung i500 (still my favorite). Was it you that had an i550?
    Oh gosh, I don't know that I can remember everything for sure, but I never had the i500. I think it was something like this (counting only Palm OS devices and not my various WM devices I was never satisfied with):
    PalmPilot 5000 -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 (for 30 days) -> Samsung SPH-i300 (the first Sprint Palm OS all-touchscreen phone!) -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p

And I also still have a Tapwave Zodiac 1.

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Unfortunately I'm locked into Sprint so if the Pre isn't for me I'm stuck waiting for the next Touch (Rhodium) or the Android phone or stick with the Centro.
    Another phone/OS that could be nice would be Android running on the Palm Treo Pro. I don't believe it's been ported to work on that yet, but it should be doable and could actually prove to be one of the best devices for running Android, IMHO.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I got rid of my zodiac and bought a Dell x50v. Should've kept the zodiac. Trying to remember who from pdaphonehome got an i550. Thought it was you for some reason.

An Android Treo Pro would definitely be interesting. That would do it for me. Maybe a touch smaller.
    (my 1000th post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Oh gosh, I don't know that I can remember everything for sure, but I never had the i500. I think it was something like this (counting only Palm OS devices and not my various WM devices I was never satisfied with):
    PalmPilot 5000 -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Kyocera 6035 (for 30 days) -> Samsung SPH-i300 (the first Sprint Palm OS all-touchscreen phone!) -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p

And I also still have a Tapwave Zodiac 1.

Another phone/OS that could be nice would be Android running on the Palm Treo Pro. I don't believe it's been ported to work on that yet, but it should be doable and could actually prove to be one of the best devices for running Android, IMHO.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Apple may have just announced Copy/Paste, but it blows the Pre implementation out.

Oh, really? Let's look at the iPhone 3.0 cut and paste, shall we?

IPhone 3.0: iPhone 3.0 Beta OS Walkthrough Video

Just skip to about 1:50, and mute the sound (unless you're a Lonely Island/Andy Samberg fan). Reaaaaaaaaal sharp in its current form.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

IPhone 3.0: iPhone 3.0 Beta OS Walkthrough Video

Just skip to about 1:50, and mute the sound (unless you're a Lonely Island/Andy Samberg fan). Reaaaaaaaaal sharp in its current form.
    Neither one is the smoothest in operation. In my opinion, WinMo wins when it comes to cut, copy and paste. But, pressing the shift key does seem a little odd to select the text for copying.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    I'm kinda partial to the PalmOS way of doing it. Since these new touchscreen phones have touch as the main source of navigation, old school cut and paste just wouldn't work. You need a secondary touch or button press to activate it as opposed to just an easy select and control+C/P/X.

I like how he kept misspelling things actually.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Neither one is the smoothest in operation. In my opinion, WinMo wins when it comes to cut, copy and paste. But, pressing the shift key does seem a little odd to select the text for copying.
    Last edited by crogs571; 03/18/2009 at 10:46 PM.
    Another reason why they should have kept the Navigation Pad. I'll miss that more than anything moving from the Treo to the Pre. Not as one handed friendly like the Treo, especially trying to click on links.
    AT&T to offer unsubsidized iPhone 3G with no commitment required?

Since we are talking about Pre's vs. iPhone's I decided to take the time to bring this over here.

Is Apple trying to get rid of their iPhone's, or out fox the Pre?
    I'm getting reports that they're trying to sell the 8G iPhones for free with a plan because it's not selling well. Here in Taiwan, there's a report that a large electronics chain store is asking their employees to buy the iPhones at a discount because they can't sell them. And iPhone 3G just became available out here last month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excoriar View Post
    I'm getting reports that they're trying to sell the 8G iPhones for free with a plan because it's not selling well. Here in Taiwan, there's a report that a large electronics chain store is asking their employees to buy the iPhones at a discount because they can't sell them. And iPhone 3G just became available out here last month.
    Hello, I am also located in Taiwan. Do you think there is any chance that we will see the Pre here, unlocked? Or will we have to import from Hong-Kong as usual? I hope to get my hands on one with a english qwerty keyboard. Not sure if they will support chinese characters or not.
    Some great news reported by Engadget. We have now have something solid to go on regarding Palm offering free feature updates for the Pre.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

Reaaaaaaaaal sharp in its current form.
    At least you don't need to place the iPhone on a flat, stable surface to highlight the text!
    I've always hated the 5 way nav on the old Treos and Winmo phones. I think having the trackball in addition to the touch screen would be the perfect combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    At least you don't need to place the iPhone on a flat, stable surface to highlight the text!
    You don't need to on the Pre, either. Where on Earth did you get that idea?
    Hold shift and use finger..not too hard. That hard kb comes in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    +1. good point!
    I guess the thinking around here is that its to hard to fix and we should just move on. Palm will be a lot better this time around with support. They promise.
    Yes it was too hard to fix, I was point int someone saying a third company was late with a GPS fix, and the irony of the most recent product with Palm not getting a fix.

I guess the question with support being better in future is that the only determinant is not promises but recent performance -- which has been quite bad.

Really just a question of getting the facts and record right on support history vs go over any particular issue per se.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    I've always hated the 5 way nav on the old Treos and Winmo phones. I think having the trackball in addition to the touch screen would be the perfect combination.
    I'm pretty sure it's not a trackball. It's just a round button.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    Hello, I am also located in Taiwan. Do you think there is any chance that we will see the Pre here, unlocked? Or will we have to import from Hong-Kong as usual? I hope to get my hands on one with a english qwerty keyboard. Not sure if they will support chinese characters or not.
    I think we'll see the Pre from Hong Kong as usual. The only company that sells Palm phones is at answer168<dot>com. They have a few shops, and there's a good chance that they will be selling the Pre a short time after it's introduced in Hong Kong.