Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 482
  1. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #341  
    Someone earlier used a baseball reference, saying Apple didn't hit it out of the park.

    That was spot on.

    Apple is currently up in this game. There's no question of it. Its pure delusion to say otherwise. They're the top selling phone with this biggest name recognition. They're up in this game.

    Pre at CES had a strong rally. Came out swinging and surprised Apple. Suddenly the slaughter Apple has been putting on everyone changed into an actual seeming competitive game. An upstart showed up, but Apple was still in the lead.

    Now, yesterday, Apple had a chance to possibly knock one out of the park and make this little upstart a forgotten memory.

    Instead they hit a double.

    Was that BAD for Apple? Not really. They added a number of features that may very well keep some people on their phone that were going to switch and may get some people buying hteir phone that wasn't.

    But it wasn't necessarily BAD for Palm either. Apple tried to copy Palm on one thing and couldn't match them on another (search and mutlitasking). This allows the conversation to be framed in a way that has the Top Dog chasing the new comer. That's good for them. However, I wouldn't call it a "Win" For Palm either becuase they did likely loose a bit of ground in regards to people switching from the iPhone to the Pre.

    Ultimately, I'd call yesterday a Push. Apple did some things to help itself, but likely not enough that would've quashed the competition which is what they needed. Palm now is even more in the conversation, but has lost some of the incentive for people to switch or pick them over Apple.

    I'd say both companies should be mildly happy with yesterday.
  2. #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Can't see how yesterday was a good day for Palm. What Apple did was show the world how they support their products .
    That is precisely why it was a great day for Palm. Apple told its year one iPhone customers who shelled out so much money and patiently waited for Apple to get it together on MMS and Stereo bluetooth that they are SOL. They told iPod Touch users they are good enough to count in sales but also good enough to keep soaking money from for updates. They told all users that Apple had decided for them that they only need one app open at a time.

    And best of all, they told potential Pre customers that Apple's best efforts to best Pre notifications, universal search, and multi-tasking are either clearly inferior or non-existent. Palm should be ecstatic.
  3. #343  
    Well, truthfully, all you gotta do is tell the average iphone user they'll be getting MMS and they'll jump up and down in joy thinking apple is the bestest.

    It goes without saying once again, apple has nothing to worry about with palm. And vice versa. One has the most popular phone. The other is starting from scratch again. One has to be aggressive, the other just has to steer the ship while adding a few things at a time.

    Palm could be very successful but still be tiny and insignificant compared to apple. There's plenty of room. I don't think people get how big this room is and just have to have a iphone vs pre war.
  4. jagowar's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Can't see how yesterday was a good day for Palm. What Apple did was show the world how they support their products. A massive free (for iPhone users) upgrade. Any long time Palm owner should be jealous at this type of support. Palm has never released an upgrade like this and it's foolish to assume they will for the Pre.
    No offense but you are the foolish one to think palm did not design the pre to be upgradeable. They have said on numerous occasions that updates would come over the air to the pre.

    And the right relation to palm never releasing an update for their older stuff is the older ipod line. since apple is this great updating machine how many times has a non itouch/iphone gotten an update and new features? About as many times as the old palms got updated.
  5. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #345  
    lets not forgot that because of the 25k app store you don't really need to use the web/safari on an iPhone.....woot, google, stocks, etc there is an app for it........that's a big selling point too.
  6. #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    lets not forgot that because of the 25k app store you don't really need to use the web/safari on an iPhone.....woot, google, stocks, etc there is an app for it........that's a big selling point too.
    Hmm. I'd say with a good web browser, you don't need those other apps., but hey that's just me.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  7. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Hmm. I'd say with a good web browser, you don't need those other apps., but hey that's just me.
    i would much rather use custom apps then fumble around in a web browser.

    but hey thats me.
  8. #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

    But it wasn't necessarily BAD for Palm either. Apple tried to copy Palm on one thing and couldn't match them on another (search and mutlitasking). This allows the conversation to be framed in a way that has the Top Dog chasing the new comer. That's good for them. However, I wouldn't call it a "Win" For Palm either becuase they did likely loose a bit of ground in regards to people switching from the iPhone to the Pre.
    I'm not sure I agree with Apple copying Palm in terms of search and multitasking. No one really knew about the Pre til Jan and its not possible to watch someone demo'ing the Pre and decided to add these features into the 3.0 in a matter of weeks. I believe Apple had always intended to have these features in 3.0. In other words, competition is what drives this industry.
  9. #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    i would much rather use custom apps then fumble around in a web browser.

    but hey thats me.
    It's hit and miss for me. If an app is too constrained compared to the web and all. Same with the web sites designed for the iphone. Some apps though are well thought out.
  10. #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with Apple copying Palm in terms of search and multitasking. No one really knew about the Pre til Jan and its not possible to watch someone demo'ing the Pre and decided to add these features into the 3.0 in a matter of weeks. I believe Apple had always intended to have these features in 3.0. In other words, competition is what drives this industry.
    There were definitely requests for search, notifications and multitasking from iPhone users well before Pre was announced. But looking at the two companies' implementation of these features, it's clear that Palm thought out their solutions much better than Apple did.
  11. #351  
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    i would much rather use custom apps then fumble around in a web browser.

    but hey thats me.
    They are called "favorites" and require as much fumbling as pushing a button. And I'd rather not have 3rd party apps, that duplicate web pages, crashing my device. Besides, how do you surf? Just looking at one site at a time? If I see the market tanking, I want to read an article explaining why, and then maybe go to the sports page. If I do that with third party apps on the iPhone, provided I have them for those sites to begin with, I'd be hitting the center button a lot.

    The best thing about the iPhone is the browser, in my opinion. I don't know why anyone would need dublicate bloatware to take away from that experience.

    But I guess that is why developers make those tyoes of apps - to sell to people like you who prefer them over Safari.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  12. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    They are called "favorites" and require as much fumbling as pushing a button. And I'd rather not have 3rd party apps, that duplicate web pages, crashing my device. Besides, how do you surf? Just looking at one site at a time? If I see the market tanking, I want to read an article explaining why, and then maybe go to the sports page. If I do that with third party apps on the iPhone, provided I have them for those sites to begin with, I'd be hitting the center button a lot.

    The best thing about the iPhone is the browser, in my opinion. I don't know why anyone would need dublicate bloatware to take away from that experience.

    But I guess that is why developers make those tyoes of apps - to sell to people like you who prefer them over Safari.
    I love them.....it makes using a phone/itouch to browse that info much easier at least on my itouch. The apps are fast and made to use the info much better than a broswer in most cases....i would try it, I am getting hooked.

    I can see how a large itouch tablet could be the perfect computer for a person who just uses it for limited stuff. Like photos, media, and such.....
  13. #353  
    Well with yesterdays announcements from Apple, I for one will gladly wait for June for the Pre. Only because I want to compare it to the new iPhone (software and/or hardware) around the same time.

    I'm a lifelong Mac user and painless syncing is important to me (iPhone 3.0 will finally sync notes). GPS is essential and was announced. Cut and paste gives me one less excuse to ignore the iPhone. The recently iPhone Kindle app is something I would like to hear announced as upcoming in the Pre, or my current BB for that matter.

    Tethering is great news unless ATT tries to squash it somehow.

    Landscape keyboard in all apps is cool, since the software kb is it with the iPhone.

    I still need ATT to come out with their femtocells for my in home signal but I expect that by summer as well.

    Bad news for Pre? Maybe from this end user's perspective. I still prefer the Pre form factor (The iPhone looks like it has been flattened by a steamroller to me), and the physical keyboard, but the iPhone is looking really practical all of a sudden.

    This functional upgrade will help counter my recent night time drive-by of three teenage girls at a bus stop. Their smiling silhouetted sexiness was illuminated as each held up their iPhones, not to their faces, but at each other and toward me. It appeared to as some sort of 21st century adolescent vision, one that I don't know if I want to be, or am, a part of.

    The 3.0 update wlll make me wait for the Pre to prove itself, and the reviews are definitely still out. There's a whole new chapter waiting to be written on the Pre.

    Oh yeah, "shake to undo", just wild.
    Last edited by galavanter; 03/18/2009 at 09:38 AM.
  14. #354  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Well, truthfully, all you gotta do is tell the average iphone user they'll be getting MMS and they'll jump up and down in joy thinking apple is the bestest.

    It goes without saying once again, apple has nothing to worry about with palm. And vice versa. One has the most popular phone. The other is starting from scratch again. One has to be aggressive, the other just has to steer the ship while adding a few things at a time.

    Palm could be very successful but still be tiny and insignificant compared to apple. There's plenty of room. I don't think people get how big this room is and just have to have a iphone vs pre war.
    Absolutely. As I've stressed before, each is a carrier exclusive phone, so they will rarely even be sold together (at first). Palm needs to succeed with Sprint customers before anything else. Apple is doing just dandy and will continue to.
  15. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That is precisely why it was a great day for Palm. Apple told its year one iPhone customers who shelled out so much money and patiently waited for Apple to get it together on MMS and Stereo bluetooth that they are SOL. They told iPod Touch users they are good enough to count in sales but also good enough to keep soaking money from for updates. They told all users that Apple had decided for them that they only need one app open at a time.

    And best of all, they told potential Pre customers that Apple's best efforts to best Pre notifications, universal search, and multi-tasking are either clearly inferior or non-existent. Palm should be ecstatic.
    I agree with you except that part on updates to existing customers.
    Common give APPLE a big applause for letting the existing customers upgrade to the newest version. Sure its going to cost money for iPod Touch guys and sure the features are limited to the 1st gen iPhone, but they are giving you the consumer a choice to do it.

    I wish Microsoft do the same with their WinMo on a regular basis.
    They did a Mobile 6.1 upgrade for 6.0 phones , but not for the 5.0s.
    Plus PALM , Microsoft .... take too long to release these upgrades.

    I would like to see a WebOS upgrade in six months from release data. Assuming that they release it in June , I want a super upgrade end of this year that will fix any potential issues of the 1st round.

    APPLE is fast .
    I wish PALM will get some of the fastness via Jon Rubinstein and Co
  16. #356  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That is precisely why it was a great day for Palm. Apple told its year one iPhone customers who shelled out so much money and patiently waited for Apple to get it together on MMS and Stereo bluetooth that they are SOL. They told iPod Touch users they are good enough to count in sales but also good enough to keep soaking money from for updates. They told all users that Apple had decided for them that they only need one app open at a time.

    And best of all, they told potential Pre customers that Apple's best efforts to best Pre notifications, universal search, and multi-tasking are either clearly inferior or non-existent. Palm should be ecstatic.
    Opposed to Palm who told their users to be patient with OS5 (for almost ten years). Then they announce a new OS that won't be compatible with the apps we all bought over those 10 years.
  17. #357  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I agree with you except that part on updates to existing customers.
    Common give APPLE a big applause for letting the existing customers upgrade to the newest version. Sure its going to cost money for iPod Touch guys and sure the features are limited to the 1st gen iPhone, but they are giving you the consumer a choice to do it.
    SOME of the consumers are getting it free. The majority of that "30 million number" are NOT if you add all of the iPod Touches with the amount of 1st gen iPhones.

    I wish Microsoft do the same with their WinMo on a regular basis.
    They did a Mobile 6.1 upgrade for 6.0 phones , but not for the 5.0s.
    Plus PALM , Microsoft .... take too long to release these upgrades.
    I can't speak to Palm's past record as I've only ever owned a Centro and I am no fan of Windows Mobile, but to be fair to Microsoft...their mobile OS upgrades are about two years apart, just like the jump between the original iPhone release and iPhone 3.0.

    Of course, you could argue that Microsoft has done much less in their upgrades as you could measure the functionality differences in Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0 with a toothpick, but they release them roughly on par with Apple nonetheless.

    I would like to see a WebOS upgrade in six months from release data. Assuming that they release it in June , I want a super upgrade end of this year that will fix any potential issues of the 1st round.
    Six months for bug fixes? I'd much prefer three or less. Even Sprint got the first major Instinct update out three months from launch.

    APPLE is fast .
    I wish PALM will get some of the fastness via Jon Rubinstein and Co
    This just befuddles me. Two YEARS to enable basic functionality that was available from day one if you jailbroke it? That's fast?

    By contrast, Sprint pushed an update to the HTC Touch that enabled EV-DO Rev. A and GPS seven MOTNHS after they released it. And people were complaining that it took way too long for that to happen, even though PPC Geek types had started hacking it in before that.

    Apple takes almost FOUR times as long to do the equivalent, and they're "fast" and "support their customers". Okey-dokey.
    Last edited by mikah912; 03/18/2009 at 09:51 AM.
  18. #358  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Opposed to Palm who told their users to be patient with OS5 (for almost ten years). Then they announce a new OS that won't be compatible with the apps we all bought over those 10 years.
    Um, I think the latest Garnet release was six or seven years ago, not ten, but point taken.

    Seriously, tho...you would complain if Palm just kept jury-rigging Garnet and stayed rooted in the past, and you are complaining now that they are doing a clean break and making a thoroughly modern OS their platform going forward. In essence, they can't do anything right by you.
  19. #359  
    When's the last time you heard anything about being patient with this OS? It's been a while. It went as far as it could go. Get over it already. I've invested money in apps since my Palm Pro. I hope to not need half of them anymore. The other half will hopefully get written to take advantage of the robustness of the new OS and hardware. Go buy a 755 or 680 along with TealOS if it matters that much to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Opposed to Palm who told their users to be patient with OS5 (for almost ten years). Then they announce a new OS that won't be compatible with the apps we all bought over those 10 years.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  20. #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Regardless of what shortcoming that Apple has on this delivery, at least they are responding to the customer with key updates. Palm is nowhere close to this type of response.
    so vasically you saying dont included basic features that are in all other smart phones, so that a year later or 2 years later you can give it to your users and say you listened.

    did you listen to them or did you listen to the competition that might have a better smartphone?

    3 months after the pre, cut and past is now possible? where once before it wasnt a priority?

    only apple fan boys can fall in line like this.

    btw, im not sold on the pre yet.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.

Posting Permissions