Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Doesn't xbox live do this now anyway? I don't see people complaining much for those downloads
    I've skipped along in this thread, so I haven't read every post, since it got so big so fast. Here's my take on today's thing:
    1) Early on they briefly said that some were "curious" about app certification and stated that 96% of apps get approved. And then they quickly moved along. They really need to address these legitimate concerns better. There are some apps where it's no surprise why they didn't approve it, but then you've got that app like the home screen replacement. Very lame that they don't allow developers to make home screen replacements. Which brings me to #2...
    2) Their home screen may have been OK before there was 3rd party app support and all apps fit on the single home screen, but now with tons of 3rd party apps, they really need a much better home screen. Aside from 3rd party apps, there's useful "Today"-style info that should be there (upcoming appointments, etc.). They should have drastically changed the home page, IMO, but also made it known that developers could come up with home screen replacements.
    3) No multitasking. Rumors in the last few days indicated that this wouldn't be there, but I was still disappointed. That said, I think people make this out to be a bigger issue than it is. I've switched from Palm OS Treos to various Windows Mobile phones several times and I've always gone back to the Palm OS for other reasons.
    4) Adding 3.0 into the mix, I think I'd personally go for an iPhone over the Pre (though I'd have to play with a Pre first-hand to say for sure). The main thing stopping me from buying an iPhone now is AT&T's rate plan. Hopefully the added competition from Palm (and others) may cause AT&T to rethink their prices, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Scott R - wow im surprised, I must admit, i think Apple really dropped the ball on this one - they didnt release anything to really put them ahead of the Pre. Granted the iPhone is already out and has dominated the market. I see today as a huge win for the Pre (investors did too, Palm up .41 to 8.14 a share) For the most part everything apple Released puts them next to the Pre, nothing that really wowed me (MMS - come on, 2 years to get it??). But we'll have to wait and see when the Pre is released how everything pans out.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    What Apple did was shut up many of it's critics. I'm not sure that's dropping the ball exactly, because now there is a lot less to complain about.

Although apps are likely still locked down and no multi-tasking are still biggies for some, especially serious WM users. Say what you will about WM, but it gets the job done if you do business.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    But the other thing... will developers be required to flat out tell you beforehand that they're going to use microtransactions? It'd be tough to not buy something because of it if you don't know about it before.
    That is a GOOD question!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Or a bigger or more robust battery, but then that could make the phone thicker. But I bet they could have figured something out since they were able to release a laptop with a huge non-removable battery.

Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I kinda hated the response of Apple and lack of background apps being a battery drainer. Hey apple, you know the fix...Removable battery!. Oh they can't give us that, then you won't buy a new iphone when it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    I see today as a huge win for the Pre (investors did too, Palm up .41 to 8.14 a share)
    I agree that today was probably pretty relieving for Palm itself, but I don't really agree that the stock reaction had anything to do with that. It's a little early for there to be any reaction to Palm's stock based on Apple's conference in my opinion, especially considering it didn't end until like 2:30 to 3pm Eastern and the market closed a little over an hour later.
    I nominate this thread to be renamed "Apple Fan Embassy"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Or a bigger or more robust battery, but then that could make the phone thicker. But I bet they could have figured something out since they were able to release a laptop with a huge non-removable battery.
    I think the worst answer by Apple during the conference is that adding copy and paste was a "security issue". If adding a clipboard causes security issues, you've got major problems beyond that.

I'd have rather they were honest. "We didn't think it was necessary and a detriment of our clean operating system" or whatever would've been better than claiming it's security issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I agree that today was probably pretty relieving for Palm itself, but I don't really agree that the stock reaction had anything to do with that. It's a little early for there to be any reaction to Palm's stock based on Apple's conference in my opinion, especially considering it didn't end until like 2:30 to 3pm Eastern and the market closed a little over an hour later.
    After Apple's conference, Palm climbed .34 - So yes investors (including me) were watching exactly what they had to say.......the relief in Palm was also the thrust in the late stock rally.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    My take...
    Apple didn't hit it out of the park by any means, but they did address a lot of issues. A healthy incremental upgrade, but not a big game changer. Push notification, if implemented well is a pretty big deal.

I don't think this announcement was a great day for the Pre. Apple didn't bomb it or anything. It also wasn't a horrible day for the Pre either. Kind of a wash. Like it or not they're will now be less features Palm can brag about in comparison to the iPhone. But pre still has the leg up in a few departments, and Apple the advantage in a few others.

Also, Apple could be honestly right about multitasking being a battery/performance issue. Sure Pre will boast beefier hardware, but if the battery can't keep up I think it will be an unacceptable compromise. I don't think most users are willing to accept having to carry around an additional battery for normal every day usage. Basically I find my Centro battery "acceptable". If it is any more then the slightest bit worst then my Centro, that could be a deal breaker.
    Regardless of what shortcoming that Apple has on this delivery, at least they are responding to the customer with key updates. Palm is nowhere close to this type of response.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Regardless of what shortcoming that Apple has on this delivery, at least they are responding to the customer with key updates. Palm is nowhere close to this type of response.
    That's what has so many negative reactions from iPhone owners at Engadget and Gizmodo.

Sure, Apple addressed some user complaints...two YEARS later in an update Touch users have to pay for and 1st gen iPhone users can't fully enjoy (no GPS, MMS, or stereo Bluetooth for them). Hell...Sprint was more timely with updates to the Instinct than that!

Palm's record with Treo updates is what it is. Pre and WebOS are a new architecture, and they will have a new OTA delivery system. We will just have to see what it ships with, and how quickly it is updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Right. Palm's track-record has been to release free updates to fix bugs (often taking too long to do it). They don't release new feature upgrades for any price, and certainly not for free. Some could claim that Apple's only offering this for free because of the Pre, but Apple already established a track record of releasing OS upgrades that work on old computer hardware (compared to Microsoft whose major OS upgrades typically require a new computer to get acceptable performance), and released previous iPhone software upgrades which added features well before anyone knew about the Pre.

Hopefully Palm will follow this same approach with the Pre, but that certainly hasn't been their practice in the past.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I think it was a GREAT day for the Pre, the only thing you see on all blogs is "is it as good as the Pre" ect. Do you even grasp how big this is for them? Till a few weeks ago, they where all trying to live up to the iPhone, now the iPhone is "getting Pre-like features".... Even before it's even released..
    Updates is one of the reasons why palm stuck to building their own OS and getting their own system in place. I can't predict the future, but i'd be surprised to see them act like the old palm when it comes to updates.
    Also, aren't there already plans to add Flash and video recording to the Pre/WebOS after it ships?
    Seems like the thing to do these days is write Palm Pre vs Iphone 3.0 columns. I've seen many already.

Most tend to think Apple helped themselves a lot. One wrote a headline "the Curious Case of Iphone 3.0" based on the movie in which the character ages in reverse because of all the missing features apple is adding.

One thing to remember though is Palm has been pretty mum and only touting the same stuff since CES. Could be some more tricks up their sleeves. Apple struck back but hopefully the Return of the Pre arrives soon.
    Can't see how yesterday was a good day for Palm. What Apple did was show the world how they support their products. A massive free (for iPhone users) upgrade. Any long time Palm owner should be jealous at this type of support. Palm has never released an upgrade like this and it's foolish to assume they will for the Pre.
    I have a lot of Palm love, and think WM can certainly do a lot that the iPhone can't. However, I think this announcement addresses a lot of issues that will make the iPhone even more attractive to the "average" consumer. Copy/paste, A2DP, etc., will address some of the biggest complaints.

I don't think the goal was to compete with the Pre; it's to eliminate barriers for the 'casual to moderately proficient' user. The reality is that most people, even business users like myself, don't need many of the features that are possible in WM; the power users present on phone boards and blogs don't represent consumers at large.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G