Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    most people like use of use not pain in the a$$....lol
    Tinkering with stuff doesn't mean they are a pain in the ***, it can also be "stuff that just works" at the sametime. WinMo just works out of the box as a phone with basic capabilities for everything else... I choose to tinker with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Finally battery life will probably suffer more. I'm hearing speculation that we'll see no new iphone this year. Makes sense btw.

Where do you hear that? I will guarantee there will be a new iPhone this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Where do you hear that? I will guarantee there will be a new iPhone this year.
    Just rumors. I say it makes sense because of the recession (as justification), no real need for apple to do so, etc. I can see them waiting til next year with the 32gb new hardware, multitasking upgrade.
    Just rumors. I say it makes sense because of the recession (as justification), no real need for apple to do so, etc. I can see them waiting til next year with the 32gb new hardware, multitasking upgrade.
    No way thats happening. Apple just announced new......

- imacs
    - mac mini
    - shuffle
    - macbooks

They don't seem to concerned about the recession. There will be a new iPhone this year (most likely june).
    You may be right...its just the newest speculation is all. I'm not sure what hardware changes would be compelling for iphone 3g users to make the switch though. We already know there's pressure for original iphone users to upgrade now..no MMS.

But if there's one coming, apple probably doesn't want to pull a palm and kill sales til then by announcing it.
    here's an interesting take on one of the new things in 3.0, paying in app for more levels or other stuff..I kind of agree with what Gizmodo has to say
    Bad News: Why iPhone In-App Transactions Could Be a Disaster

Basically, this is opening the flood gates for nickel-and-diming microtransactions from the App Store. Before, when you spent $5 on a game, you knew you were getting the whole game—with free upgrades. Now, you'll spend $5 on a game and you'll need to spend another $5 to unlock all the levels and weapons. And that's on legit apps. Just wait for the novelty fart apps with one fart sound that want you to pay for extras, or a flashlight app that wants you to pay for different colors.
    You may be right...its just the newest speculation is all. I'm not sure what hardware changes would be compelling for iphone 3g users to make the switch though. We already know there's pressure for original iphone users to upgrade now..no MMS.

But if there's one coming, apple probably doesn't want to pull a palm and kill sales til then by announcing it.
    agreed. The hardware jump can't be as significant as last year (unless they announce a verizon version).
    Quote Originally Posted by deleonj1225 View Post
    here's an interesting take on one of the new things in 3.0, paying in app for more levels or other stuff..I kind of agree with what Gizmodo has to say

This is the thing, nobody is forcing you to buy these apps.
    Exactly. Part of the app store fun (not for me..but for many) is trying out whatever and discarding them a few days later. Studies prove this behavior. Subscriptions could spawn some bad behavior here. I highly dislike popups trying to sell stuff. This will be hit or miss.

Now what i wouldn't mind seeing is 99 cent try before paying more to keep. But only on premium apps.
    I'm not into games so this isn't an issue with me, but in reality it does make sense. You can't sit there and say that there won't be developers that will take advantage. I'm all for people making money off their work, but some people will take it to an extreme, and there will be people that willingly help them by paying for extras that should come with it.
    That's any paid app. Suddenly every app will be 99 cents but the true cost? People are fighting over ways to market themselves in the 25k app jungle. What they do know is people are focused on price and not monthly (or subscription) costs.

Those turn by turn mapping apps may be on a monthly subscription. Or something like docs to go? Who else has office apps? They could do the same. Instead of updating apps free, you could get a popup saying its a dollar.
    That's any paid app. Suddenly every app will be 99 cents but the true cost? People are fighting over ways to market themselves in the 25k app jungle. What they do know is people are focused on price and not monthly (or subscription) costs.
    Well developers will have to consider lost customers if to many people are unhappy about paying for any little update. I have a feeling for most of the apps I have paid money for, this won't be happening.
    I just briefly scanned through this thread.

Looks like you guys turned it around.

Just a Reminder.....
    Points can be made without using insults.
    In fact,
    It's a TC forum violation.

Be tolerant of those who disagree with your opinion and discuss differences in a constructive manner. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
    and

Do not flame, insult, or post a personal attack against another user on the TreoCentral forum. Be courteous, not rude. Do not troll or respond to trolls.
    Just call me Berd.
    No way thats happening. Apple just announced new......

- imacs
    - mac mini
    - shuffle
    - macbooks

They don't seem to concerned about the recession. There will be a new iPhone this year (most likely june).
    There will be a new iPhone, but...

...it is the iPhone mini.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That one's just too easy to even bother taking a shot at.

As I've argued with WinMo people, I will argue here. Every phone has its bonus's.

iPhone: People wanting a simplistic interface both on the phone and sinking, who wants to have iPod quality video/music player along with a phone without carrying both.

WinMo: People who want large amount of customization, enterprise software and support out of the box, semi-familiar interface to windows.

Blackberry: If you want top of the line PIM functionality

Pre: Appears to be the one you want if you're looking for a more advanced, multi-tasking, touch focused interface with greater Internet 2.0 connectivity

No one phone so far is the king of all things, nor is there likely to be one. Each has certain features that make it better than the other depending on what each individual wishes to do.
    Its a great point. Most of my friends who are in their 20's and low 30's use the iphone because its simple. They dont even know what cut and paste would be used for. Apple has a market. The Pre will be for the more advanced, but they will market it towards the non advanced because they already know they have the advanced hyped up. That is where the simple and elegent marketing techniques are coming into play.

That being said. I WANT A PRE TODAY. I loved palm OS, it was simple, quick, and had chattermail which was the best mail app ever built.
    Another note:

Try to keep language family friendly

TreoCentral is a site used by people of all ages, so please keep posts and links family appropriate. We use software filters to block some common language use and will not tolerate any attempts to beat such filters. Feel free to curse like a sailor at your home, not ours.
    Any language that gets caught by the filters or is typed in a way to attempt and bypass the filters, is a violation of TC rules.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    But the other thing... will developers be required to flat out tell you beforehand that they're going to use microtransactions? It'd be tough to not buy something because of it if you don't know about it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    But the other thing... will developers be required to flat out tell you beforehand that they're going to use microtransactions? It'd be tough to not buy something because of it if you don't know about it before.
    Good point. We shall see. But if a developer required me to pay for a bug fix or small feature update, they wouldn't see anymore of my money.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Speaking for myself, I am bashing Apple for it's draconian lock-down and control of its devices.

Being a WimMo user, I could care less about "simplicity". I like to figure things out and play with my phone settings and inner software workings.
    It is one of the things that kept me with WinMo so long, I loved the customization possible on it.

I'm hoping that Pre is a happy middle....with the ability to customize to a point, while at the same time locked down enough so everything always works and developers are kept mostly up to certain standards

Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I kinda hated the response of Apple and lack of background apps being a battery drainer. Hey apple, you know the fix...Removable battery!. Oh they can't give us that, then you won't buy a new iphone when it dies.
    LOL, that response made me just want to throttle someone at Apple. Was just so annoying
    I'm not into games so this isn't an issue with me, but in reality it does make sense. You can't sit there and say that there won't be developers that will take advantage. I'm all for people making money off their work, but some people will take it to an extreme, and there will be people that willingly help them by paying for extras that should come with it.
    And customer reviews will reflect this behavior too, so no worries.