Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There was a really good blog post I think on Prepoint that says it better than I could, but the main difference is in flow. As in, you can flow easily from one thing to the next without interruption, which is much different from going back to the home screen every single time (as even most current smartphones that can multitask do it).

And an example that Palm has already pointed out in their presentations that's a big deal for me, you can have one card open with an email while you're responding to another, as far as I know no way to do that on the iPhone without saving your message to draft, going to the other email, and then going back to the draft.
    good point. I could move between already open apps pretty easy (according to what I've seen on the Pre videos). But to open a new app, your still going to have to go back to the launcher. Also, I wonder how many apps you can leave open before the pre becomes unstable.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    best part is you do not need file explorer, activesync......you guys are just not seeing the difference between a phone and a desktop
    and WinMo is no comparison for me......the OS is a dog.
    Have you actively used WinMo? Heard of cooked firmware? And know that there are more "real" applications for WinMo that your Fruity Phone, which btw you can install anyway you want...

And your statement that "you don't need file explorer" says it all... Smartphones are not for you. Simple. Enjoy ur iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well the 3.0 features are enough to get me to wait for the hardware upgrade and see what it has to offer. Of course the iPhone is playing catch-up, but this is enough for me to not go through the hassle of switching carriers, depending on what kind of storage and hardware they will have ready by fall.
    Wonder what the new call logs look like? I think you mentioned your desire for an enhancement in the past.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Have fun This thread went downhill. This is Precentral not the iphone forums. If you want to spread the apple(aol) fanboy stuff, this isn't the place.
    I'm sorry, I thought this was Precentral, a place to discuss the Pre, not "OMG You must love the Pre and everything about it and nothing can compare to it and anyone taht doesn't like it doesn't like real smart phones and are just dumb users lolz!"

Must've read it wrong, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Ah, I understand (and I've added bignoze to ignore, so nothing more like that anyway). Well, personally, I don't think the Pre is the only real smartphone, just the one that will fit my needs best. There's definitely a ton of alternatives out there, including WM which I've used for a year or so now, Android, Symbian, etc. But, I can't agree that the iPhone is anything more than those feature phones that many manufacturers try and sell.

Sure, it's got a bunch of smart features, and does some things really well (media, games, some of the applications are very high quality), but most of it is very blah.
    Would you call some of the early Treo's "dumbphones" then? The ability to play music while web browsing is still more multifunction capability than some pre garnet Palm stuff I believe.

I think comparing it to something like the Instinct and other dumbphone touch screens is a bit low balling it. Is it top of the heap in terms of "smart phone" features like Windows Mobile? No, but I'd say its more in the class of POS, WinMo, Blackberry than it is the Instinct or Vue
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Have you actively used WinMo? Heard of cooked firmware? And know that there are more "real" applications for WinMo that your Fruity Phone, which btw you can install anyway you want...

And your statement that "you don't need file explorer" says it all... Smartphones are not for you. Simple. Enjoy ur iPhone.
    HTC builds interfaces because WinMo is awesome.....LOL

Smartphones are supposed to make life easy not be a replacement to your desktop.

Move into the next century.....I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I understand the Pre can do this, but I'm thinking with only one screen on these devices, whats the difference? Usually the iPhone app will open up to where I left off.
    What happens when you get a phone call?

On Garnett, if I were in an app when I received a call, after I was finished I was dumped into the phone app. I had to exit the dialpad, find my program, and relaunch. If I was using blazer for example, I would then have to wait (an eternity) to reload my page. Hugely annoying. Sure, it remembered where I was, but still...

What happens in the iphone?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    HTC builds interfaces because WinMo is awesome.....LOL

Smartphones are supposed to make life easy not be a replacement to your desktop.

Move into the next century.....I am.
    Yes HTC builds interfaces and so do a lot other developers, for free. I like that freedom to install multiple interface, modify the registry, etc. basically the ability to hack the **** out of my phone. A lot of people do.

Enjoy your new century "feature phone" locked to a bloated desktop application... I'm out.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post

On Garnett, if I were in an app when I received a call, after I was finished I was dumped into the phone app. I had to exit the dialpad, find my program, and relaunch. If I was using blazer for example, I would then have to wait (an eternity) to reload my page. Hugely annoying. Sure, it remembered where I was, but still...

I think there is no argument this is a benefit if the Pre actually works like this......
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Yes HTC builds interfaces and so do a lot other developers, for free. I like that freedom to install multiple interface, modify the registry, etc. basically the ability to hack the **** out of my phone. A lot of people do.

Enjoy your new century "feature phone" locked to a bloated desktop application... I'm out.
    you want a mobile desktop......I want a multi touch media able smartphone.

enjoy your phone.

He's mistaken anyway. You DO use file explorer and Activesync for the iPhone. LOL!

AS=iTunes to sync contacts and apps. Also the Mobile OSX does have a file explorer of sorts.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post

Just tried it. I was in the MLB at bat app. Did a test call. The call screen popped up. Hit ignore, the iphone brought me back into the MLB at bat app at same page.
    It does. Pre apps stay live until you swipe them away. There is no save function.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    best part is you do not need file explorer, activesync......you guys are just not seeing the difference between a phone and a desktop.

and WinMo is no comparison for me......the OS is a dog.
    This may be hard for you to realize but not everyone thinks in the Apple mindset of "What you want doesn't matter, what we TELL YOU you want matters".

Some people WANT a desktop essentially in their hands with their phone. They need that power and that ability. WinMo gives them that ability while at the same time giving people that just want some basic PIM, some web browsing, and some music the ability as well. Its versitle.

The iPhone isn't as versitle. Apple sits there and tells you what you really need, instead of letting you DECIDE what you need. Multitasking kills the battery? Funny, I've never had a major issue with my years of using a WinMo device in regards to it dieing in an hour or two. But even if that's the case, give people the ability and let them decide. If they want to conserve battery then they close their programs, if they don't want to conserve battery but want to multitask they can do it.

Maybe I want to open up GIANT FOOD's website to look at their flier while flicking back and forth to my note taking app to make my list while popping open a quick text to see what my gf wants for dinner so I can add it to the list all while listening to music....without needing to open, let page load, close, scroll, open, type, close, open, let page load again, close, open, type, close, scroll, open, type, close, open, let page load again, close, open, type.

Having all those things open in card view, easily flicking back and forth between them or even having the web page zoomed in enough to where I can see what I am wanting or having my list open big enough to see what I needed to check there for my SMS without fully opening the app is helpful. Is it a HUGE time savor? No. But its simpler and saves a minute or two which is enough in a hectic day, reducing stress and time, to make it matter.

I WANT that ability to do that, and I must say that the Pre by far is the most revolutionary and interesting handheld OS's system for mutlitasking I've ever seen and is one of the main things keeping me hear. Multitasking has always been an important thing for my PDA's/Phones and was one of the things that led me to PocketPC over Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Would you call some of the early Treo's "dumbphones" then? The ability to play music while web browsing is still more multifunction capability than some pre garnet Palm stuff I believe.

I think comparing it to something like the Instinct and other dumbphone touch screens is a bit low balling it. Is it top of the heap in terms of "smart phone" features like Windows Mobile? No, but I'd say its more in the class of POS, WinMo, Blackberry than it is the Instinct or Vue
    Well, I think that it's a little different for a product released in 2007 than it was for arguably the first smartphone (not including the Visorphone). Don't get me wrong though, I do appreciate the huge leap forward the iPhone has made on web browsing, it's forced a lot of manufacturers to entirely rethink everything, and in my opinion until the announcement of the Pre, the iPhone interface was second to none, but it's lacking in many key (maybe just to me) metrics that would make it a smartphone. I do consider it a top-class featurephone, if that helps at all.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    He's mistaken anyway. You DO use file explorer and Activesync for the iPhone. LOL!

AS=iTunes to sync contacts and apps. Also the Mobile OSX does have a file explorer of sorts.
    sorry it is not the same. Itunes is all in one...seemless.

File explorer for what?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Just tried it. I was in the MLB at bat app. Did a test call. The call screen popped up. Hit ignore, the iphone brought me back into the MLB at bat app at same page.
    From what I know, that ability depends on the app developers, if the application can load from the same spot it was left at. But, as soon as you hit that home button, the app is no longer running in the memory and will have to be re-launched from scratch. Now consider that as opposed to multiple apps running at the same time... that's Pre.
    Well the 3.0 features are enough to get me to wait for the hardware upgrade and see what it has to offer. Of course the iPhone is playing catch-up, but this is enough for me to not go through the hassle of switching carriers, depending on what kind of storage and hardware they will have ready by fall.
    Good post. This is exactly why Apple was successful today. They improved and are continuing to strengthen their OS. You might not get all the features that you want but the features are slowly but surely coming. They did just enough to make you stay... at least for now. There are so many disadvantages of a brand new phone with a brand new OS... Not to mention a shortage of supply early on. Until the WebOS matures, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages imho.
    I could ignore in Garnett too. I was not referring to the notifications. Can you try to answer the call and then hang up? If I wasn't trapped at my desk (reading this thread!) I would go ask someone who has one to try it.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I know Safari reloads pages,and I think unsaved notes and emails get hosed when this happens too. Not sure.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    This may be hard for you to realize but not everyone thinks in the Apple mindset of "What you want doesn't matter, what we TELL YOU you want matters".

Some people WANT a desktop essentially in their hands with their phone. They need that power and that ability. WinMo gives them that ability while at the same time giving people that just want some basic PIM, some web browsing, and some music the ability as well. Its versitle.

The iPhone isn't as versitle. Apple sits there and tells you what you really need, instead of letting you DECIDE what you need. Multitasking kills the battery? Funny, I've never had a major issue with my years of using a WinMo device in regards to it dieing in an hour or two. But even if that's the case, give people the ability and let them decide. If they want to conserve battery then they close their programs, if they don't want to conserve battery but want to multitask they can do it.

Maybe I want to open up GIANT FOOD's website to look at their flier while flicking back and forth to my note taking app to make my list while popping open a quick text to see what my gf wants for dinner so I can add it to the list all while listening to music....without needing to open, let page load, close, scroll, open, type, close, open, let page load again, close, open, type, close, scroll, open, type, close, open, let page load again, close, open, type.

Having all those things open in card view, easily flicking back and forth between them or even having the web page zoomed in enough to where I can see what I am wanting or having my list open big enough to see what I needed to check there for my SMS without fully opening the app is helpful. Is it a HUGE time savor? No. But its simpler and saves a minute or two which is enough in a hectic day, reducing stress and time, to make it matter.

I WANT that ability to do that, and I must say that the Pre by far is the most revolutionary and interesting handheld OS's system for mutlitasking I've ever seen and is one of the main things keeping me hear. Multitasking has always been an important thing for my PDA's/Phones and was one of the things that led me to PocketPC over Palm.
    again I dont have an iPhone......and Mutitasking is not selling me......over app store, itunes, and simplicity.

Like I said my itouch is killer, my 3 year old plays with it non stop. Does not play with my Centro for 2 seconds.....see the difference yet?