Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Well it looks like bignoze and mobileman have made up their minds. Decisions are made. It was fun having you. We enjoyed your commentary. We are happy that the iphone does it for you. Enjoy it. Enjoy the iphone community, and wish us luck with Palm.

Feel free to stick your heads in here to see what's going on once in awhile, your always welcome to check out what's new here.

Later!
    Uh, uh, uh! It's $.99 each time they want to enter this forum. "Cancel" or "Buy"?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Still, its nothing unexpected. Palm will still sell out and their main problems will be meeting demand and pumping out any updates. Nothing today was going to change that.
    Not so sure of that. If their initial supply is low, they will sell out. They have a long way to go to sell 17 million units though.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Well it looks like bignoze and mobileman have made up their minds. Decisions are made. It was fun having you. We enjoyed your commentary. We are happy that the iphone does it for you. Enjoy it. Enjoy the iphone community, and wish us luck with Palm.

Feel free to stick your heads in here to see what's going on once in awhile, your always welcome to check out what's new here.

Later!
    I am still open.......but Palm is making it easy for me.....10 years with sprint, its not easy to just jump ship and go with ATT, i like my sprint.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Let's see, a couple off the top of my head. A GPS application that can be running at the same time as anything else (I'm in a city, so I walk around places, not drive). A calendar that I can actually have open and viewable as I'm responding to emails, a web browser that I can leave open for future reference as I'm taking down notes on something else, and yes, having music open at the same time as anything else.

And the sheer number of applications isn't what makes it a smartphone. Besides the fact that most of those are absolutely crap, a media player and games don't make it any more a smartphone than a PSP or a Nintendo DS. The Centro is more of a smartphone than the iPhone, because it's PIM features haven't been surpassed by anything (until the Pre) including the iPhone. Like I said, the iPhone is a glorified media player.
    Sorry but iPhone will do that......my itouch remembers where I left off. Pre does not have dual screens so you will have to switch cards anyway.

You are not making a good case for mutitasking.

and the Iphone with apps and itunes is much more than a media device.

I recommend getting an itouch and playing around.....thing is killer.
    I liked palm's universal search much better though. Just start typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    That seems like a fair assessment. Apple took universal search away from Palm and cleaned up some deficiencies, but left Palm with the above advantages plus Synergy. I think they're roughly equal, with the balance being tipped person by person based on what features they find most appealing -- assuming people do their homework anyway. For the people who don't, Apple still has the brand name, mind share, and inertia and so will probably continue to be the default choice. Palm/Sprint is going to need some great advertising to get people to consider something else, but they at least have a product which makes that plausible. However, I never thought the Pre was going to "kill" the iPhone, nor does it need to to succeed.
    I agree. I think Palm has a chance to carve out a nice little spot. Whether that is enough to save Palm is another story. They better improve their customer support and end user satisfaction.

Can anybody ever remember Palm ever releasing an upgrade for a current device like Apple just announced today?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    That seems like a fair assessment. Apple took universal search away from Palm and cleaned up some deficiencies, but left Palm with the above advantages plus Synergy. I think they're roughly equal, with the balance being tipped person by person based on what features they find most appealing -- assuming people do their homework anyway. For the people who don't, Apple still has the brand name, mind share, and inertia and so will probably continue to be the default choice. Palm/Sprint is going to need some great advertising to get people to consider something else, but they at least have a product which makes that plausible. However, I never thought the Pre was going to "kill" the iPhone, nor does it need to to succeed.
    ^----- Mac Hall icon AND intelligent commentary.

A+ post
    That seems like a fair assessment. Apple took universal search away from Palm...
    Really? To universal search on a Pre, you either start typing or press the button in any app and THEN start typing, and the results are always relevant and concise (and web-connected).

To "universal search" on an iPhone, you have to swipe however many icon/app screens you have until you get to Spotlight, then tap again to bring up the keyboard, then watch as results from the iPod app mix with emails, notes and contacts all on one screen?

Not to be a Palm fanboy, but how is the second one better for searching your device or the Web?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Not so sure of that. If their initial supply is low, they will sell out. They have a long way to go to sell 17 million units though.
    Dude, who gives a crap if they sell 17 million units? Or as many as the iphone? This is about grabbing some marketshare. Palm isn't going to overtake the iphone anytime soon if at all. It's irrelevant. The aolphone will appeal to dumbphone users wanting itunes, media, throwaway junk apps, and popup ads. The Pre is for those who want a real smartphone capable of playing media. It's pretty simple really.
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    Sorry but iPhone will do that......my itouch remembers where I left off. Pre does not have dual screens so you will have to switch cards anyway.

You are not making a good case for mutitasking.

and the Iphone with apps and itunes is much more than a media device.

I recommend getting an itouch and playing around.....thing is killer.
    I've used a Touch (2G) before. I'm basing everything on actual fact of having used it. I have browsed through the app store and other than tons of games, there's nothing compelling about it.

Also, remembering where it left off is nowhere near the same thing. Palm's done that too, for the past decade of Palm OS. It's a little different just flicking to the side to change windows than it is to go back to the home application, and then scroll down to what you wanted to look at, and then find that, go back to the home application, and scroll down to the program you wanted that information for again and open it again, not to mention having to wait for each application to open.

Do you use a computer? Which do you use, one application at a time, close it, and then open another program when you want to use that, and close the first, or do you leave everything that you want to use open, even if some windows are maximized, and then alt-tab between them? Presumably it's the latter, so if you can't see why that's more useful, well then just keep clinging to your blind fanboyism with the iPhone, and I'll get what works best for me.

Edit: And I have absolutely no problem with the other posters who are making reasonable discussions about the iPhone, but really bignoze, you're just trolling.
    Can anybody ever remember Palm ever releasing an upgrade for a current device like Apple just announced today?
    Aren't Palm devices notable for being feature complete out-of-the-box?
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Dude, who gives a crap if they sell 17 million units? Or as many as the iphone? This is about grabbing some marketshare. Palm isn't going to overtake the iphone anytime soon if at all. It's irrelevant. The aolphone will appeal to dumbphone users wanting itunes, media, throwaway junk apps, and popup ads. The Pre is for those who want a real smartphone capable of playing media. It's pretty simple really.
    thats funny....more users equal more participants and developers and lower prices for users.

If Pre wants to make a run it needs massive market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Aren't Palm devices notable for being feature complete out-of-the-box?
    Now thats funny......
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Jesus christ, the Pre isn't even out yet and the pre-fan boys are as Pretentious, annoying, holier than thou, hyperbole filled, smack talking, and insulting as the iPhone fan boys.

Seriously, is there anywhere to go for actual intelligent, logical, objective, reasonable discussion of multiple phones to try and make a decision without one side going "Ur Phone sucks, for dumb people and sheep, my phone is the bests!"
    The aolphone will appeal to dumbphone users wanting itunes, media, throwaway junk apps, and popup ads. The Pre is for those who want a real smartphone capable of playing media. It's pretty simple really.
    Wow, your a true wordsmith. You havn't even touched a Pre or seen one in person and you can make claims of its greatness. Palm couldn't have asked for a better customer.

I on the other hand have been burned by Palms lack of support, limited patches and upgrades, and delay after delay in a new modern OS. I am no longer willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've used a Touch (2G) before. I'm basing everything on actual fact of having used it. I have browsed through the app store and other than tons of games, there's nothing compelling about it.

Also, remembering where it left off is nowhere near the same thing. Palm's done that too, for the past decade of Palm OS. It's a little different just flicking to the side to change windows than it is to go back to the home application, and then scroll down to what you wanted to look at, and then find that, go back to the home application, and scroll down to the program you wanted that information for again and open it again, not to mention having to wait for each application to open.

Do you use a computer? Which do you use, one application at a time, close it, and then open another program when you want to use that, and close the first, or do you leave everything that you want to use open, even if some windows are maximized, and then alt-tab between them? Presumably it's the latter, so if you can't see why that's more useful, well then just keep clinging to your blind fanboyism with the iPhone, and I'll get what works best for me.
    dude I have a CENTRO and you can not compare 20in monitors to 3in screens. Battery power to AC.

your examples are not true multitasking and what would sway 90% of buyers.

I want a powerful phone with simple interface and lots of choices.......Iphone seems to be the winner!

And if I was blindly supporting the Iphone.....I WOULD HAVE ONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Jesus christ, the Pre isn't even out yet and the pre-fan boys are as Pretentious, annoying, holier than thou, hyperbole filled, smack talking, and insulting as the iPhone fan boys.

Seriously, is there anywhere to go for actual intelligent, logical, objective, reasonable discussion of multiple phones to try and make a decision without one side going "Ur Phone sucks, for dumb people and sheep, my phone is the bests!"
    If you're referring to me, I have absolutely no problem with any of the posts you've made preferring the iPhone, you've made good points on why it works for you. But as I said in my edit to the previous post, bignoze is just bashing without any real reason other than "it plays media and has tons of games".
    How lame was touch pet? A virtual dog that sells you virtual junk? Jeepers.

Live fire was cool...until they tried to sell you virtual junk too.

I can see how Apple appeals to so many developers... there are just so many ways to fleece you on the iphone.

Need we recall the "I am Rich" app? Can't wanit to see the "I am Richer" app with popups asking you to waste more money.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    To "universal search" on an iPhone, you have to swipe however many icon/app screens you have until you get to Spotlight,
    again, you should use an iPhone before you make claims like these. Clicking the home icon will bring you back to the first page of apps. No need for all the swiping.
    Now thats funny......
    If you say so, I bought my Centro and never NEEDED to have it updated or buy another app. I tried a few third party weather apps, and bought Ultimate Phone to add some visual pizazz to my main screen, but that was it.

By contrast, Apple has just added functionality to the iPhone that has been available on jailbroken devices (not to mention every other phone on the market) for months if not over a year due to private developers with a fraction of the time and resources Apple has (and they're still catching up. Jailbroken iPhones can video record. Not the official one...still).